Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hallo i have been reading a lot about rotella t deisel oil on the naked wing site so i asked shell whats it called in the uk they said RIMULA RT 4 15/40

i was just wondering if anybody in the uk has used it in a wing for any length of time and what is the outcome our american freinds seem to like it a lot so i thought i might try it out because the castrol motorcycle oil i am using is a bit expensive.

and where is the best place to buy it

cheers john:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I've only used turbo desiel oil for a cleaner in car and bike engines. It's cheap enough. Just out it in and ran for about 10 miles then dumped the contents out and changed the filter. It removes a lot of clag from the engine and all changes after that are usually clean. I do change my oil and filter every 2500 though.

Turbo desiel is well known for its cleaning qualities.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

what oil do you use i am using castrol motorcycle oil and its £ 28 for four litres i dont fancy that bill every 2500 miles

any surgestions please

cheers john

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I go down the line that the cheap oil changed that frequently and changing the filter at the same time has always paid off with all my vehicles. With long in the tooth types such as my goldie it pays even more. On my car I change it about once every two months and all my cars reach 110,000 plus without engine troubles.

I'm afraid I see the oils as a cleaner of crap from the engine and changing it frequently keeps all running smoothly

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

i agree with you but i tried cheap oil in the wing and got clutch slip straight away

so went down the line of proper motorcycle oil for the first time and i have been riding for 30 years

so thats why i am looking into this deisel oil the americans rate so high

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

ok fair do's.I don't get that, but their all different.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

perhaps your going to be the first to try this. Why not give the stuff you said a try and post the results.

You might have something here and in doing so help us all.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Dino Rotella 15/45 has a very long history and none of it bad. It is an economical oil used by a great many who own bikes. Not just Gold Wings but all brands of bikes have many who use this oil.

It can be purchased in our country at large retail stores such as Walmart, in gallon jugs at a reasonable price.

Changed regularly and at whatever interval you prefer, it has for many years proved to be a reliable and economical oil for the use in motorcycles.

Hey you know what, any modern oil is a good oil. With regular oil changes and filter change, the engine will outlast any of us.

Kit

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Many of our Honda Shadow Sabre owners use the Rotella and swear by it. www.thesabrehood.org
A Wing friend, swears by the Mobil One Turbo Diesel.
I use AMSOIL.
So, I guess I just blew that theory.
Find one ya like, and ride.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Mobile One 4T motorcycle specific oil.
Delo 400
Amsoil
Royal Purple
Honda specific
Golden spectrum

Not in that order most of the time, I try them all. I suppose between all of them it is a tie between Mobile one and the Delo. Both seem to help the transmissions shift a bit better.

Kit

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Rotella T synthetic or Delo 400 for me, changed at 3000 miles, oil and filter......

I think if you are religious in changing, the type of oil is rather secondary......

I change quickerwith the KLR... 1500 miles or so, mainly because that's what the other KLR boys do. :) I may go to Delo 400 exclusive for that. Delo 400 is $8 a gallon (!) at our local BiMart.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

i think i will have to bite the bullet.i will let you in a few thousand miles

thanks for all your answers

cheers john s h:):):)

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

that explains my clutch slip when i changed the oil ,now i know what to look for on the container i will start using motor oil that way i can change the oil every 3000 miles without upsetting my bank manager ( the wife)

so thankyou wayne & thanks mike for letting it be posted

cheers john s h

deisel oil here i come ( shell rimula rt 4 15/ 40 ) rotella t in america):):):)

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Mobile One 4T motorcycle specific oil.
Delo 400
Amsoil
Royal Purple
Honda specific
Golden spectrum

Not in that order most of the time, I try them all. I suppose between all of them it is a tie between Mobile one and the Delo. Both seem to help the transmissions shift a bit better.

Kit
What weight on the Delo?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I've used both the Rotella Dino and the synthetic. I get better results with the Dino oil though, maybe because the age and high mileage of my bike.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I've used Rotella T full syn in my bikes for years. Never a problem or cluch slippage

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Yeah............Rotella 15-40. My Mercruiser and my wing luv the stuff. They told me so.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.