Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

do not use it. It will have a negative effect on the wet clutch

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

whether it ruins the clutch... I won't go there....

but if snake oil works... don't you think the legit companies would use it and charge you more for it?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Better known as Teflon. Also known as a "Friction modifier".

Great for some cars - death to wet-clutch machinery.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Not sure I understand 'legit' companies reference, but can either of you provide more infromation than 'it will have a negative effect on the clutch', seems like that is what they said about synthetic oil also.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

As with religion and politics I will not discuss oil preferences on this site:(:(:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Friction modifiers are great for a conventional engine, but mostmotorcycles (Harley excluded) have the clutch comprised of multiple friction plates and metal plates that are in the engine crankcase and as a result are bathed in the engine oil. When subjected to oils that contain a friction modifier it can make the clutch plates so slick that they will tend to slip. That is the short version of the problem. Harley Davidson engines have aseparate transmission and the clutches are not in the engine crankcase.

Jeff...

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

i8ig wrote:
Not sure I understand 'legit' companies reference, but can either of you provide more infromation than 'it will have a negative effect on the clutch', seems like that is what they said about synthetic oil also.
if these additives work, don't yo think mobil or other companies would add it to their oil and sell it as well.... these aditives have come and gone for well over 30 years... always with the claim "the oil compnaies SUPPRESS our product"

same cr#p that claims this (unregulated) medicne from a health food store.... "the doctors don't want you to know this.... it will put them out of business"

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

jhellstr wrote:
Friction modifiers are great for a conventional engine, but mostmotorcycles (Harley excluded) have the clutch comprised of multiple friction plates and metal plates that are in the engine crankcase and as a result are bathed in the engine oil. When subjected to oils that contain a friction modifier it can make the clutch plates so slick that they will tend to slip. That is the short version of the problem. Harley Davidson engines have aseparate transmission and the clutches are not in the engine crankcase.

Jeff...
jhellstr - I agree that you did an excellent job summarizing the issue. You should write service manuals and owners manuals. Maybe then they would make sense......

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

jhellstr wrote:

Jeff...
A scholar and a gentleman,thank you.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

PTFE really cant do as advertised.They were claiming it impregnates into the moving metal parts.I believe Dupont claims it takes over 500 degrees to impregnate the teflon into metal.If u can get your engine that hot you more than likely wont need anything but a new engine.
I believe you can go to the federal trade commission website and type in any brand of product and find out whether the product is under investigation for false advertising.
Flatfour

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.