Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

now I've cleaned my bike from the crud of winter, I noticed that the small bits of wear on engine casings etc have now become too noticable and the paint is pealing badly in places.

Anyone know of a good match for the standard coat available in the UKand an easy way of fading in the paint to match the original (I just want to touch the paint up for now and do a complete job the next time the engine is out)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Don't know about the UK, but here in the states most auto parts stores have high temperature silver (aluminum color) paint that's a pretty good match. I've used it on my wing and can't tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Tricky,

Ive heard of a bun in the oven but never a Wing (unless attached to a chicken):D:D:D:D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
now I've cleaned my bike from the crud of winter, I noticed that the small bits of wear on engine casings etc have now become too noticable and the paint is pealing badly in places.

Anyone know of a good match for the standard coat available in the UKand an easy way of fading in the paint to match the original (I just want to touch the paint up for now and do a complete job the next time the engine is out)

Cheers
Take a look at Steves Goldwing Tips reachable from the home page of this website, he mentions engine painting.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Cheersfor the reminder guy's:gunhead:

It must have been a bad hair day orI must be getting old ;)

I've even got a print out laminated in my manuals !!!:?:?:?:?dohhhh

now to get the paint.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ive just noticed, apparantly I live in Uzbekistan where ever that might be.!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Go and get it JOHNO. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

I know a guy who had his 1983 GL1100 engine casings powder-coated in aluminium colour. It looks just like OEM finish and I believe is much thicker than what you would get from a spray can or car type painting.
I seen the job getting done. Never seen powder coating actually been done before so it was an eye-opener. They had stripped the old paint off the casings, then put tape along all the edgings where the cases meet. When I got there the cases were hung up on hooks with a wire attached,in a spray room with a nice big window. The guy sprayed the powder on from about 6-8" away, the powder just flies out of the gun and all of it goes on the metal. This only took a few minutes, then the guy took the cases out. They looked really dull and I thought it looked terrible, but I kept my mouth shut. Just as well, because there was another stage I didn't know about. He opened a big oven room and hung the cases up and left them in for about 20 or 30 minutes and when they came out they were beautiful and shiny, probably better than new. It cost $160 for the whole job, but well worth it for what will probably be a concours restoration.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Powder coating is more resistant to stone chips than say Hammerite. It's much mre expensive to get this done over here. A friend of mine recentlypaid the equivalent of about $450 to get a CD175frame powder coated.

Anyway, I'm outa here, I just wanted to get my post count up to the minimumfor Very Active Members!

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I love those buns... From the oven.. Warm,,, Soft,,, Tender... Smell good,,, feel good...

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

My brother had a set of wheels PC'ed a couple of years ago. It's still holding up and looking like new, much better than just painting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.