Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,hope all is going well for everyone. Quick run down,I bought this as a project

and fixing little things along the way.First road trip was a nice 400 plus to shake out

any loose ends.Noted on return leg that when nice and warm on decel and light throttle action there was small rattle.Engine area,seemed to be upper end,like some

bb's bouncing around.Never seemed to get worse on way home,set awhile due to clutch master going out til had time to build and finish moving.Repairs completed along with front and rear brakes and have noted is getting worse.Noted when warm

at idle after has warmed up noise comes and goes.Raise rpm's slowly gets louder til

about 2000 rpm and fades away,back off throttle comes back in. Hard to really tell if

upper now or lower but swear after all my years in cars it sounds like a darn worn

rod bearing or cam bearing.Has 79K on it and set up 7 months or so before I bought.

Any of you guys or gals experince anything like this before?Thanks for your time and

thoughts,much appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

Sounds like lifters to me.

I'd run some MMO (1qt to 3qts oil) in the crankcase to loosen things up and clean it out -

I had the same kind of noise, did that a cupla three times (MMO in one change, none in the next, mmo in the next change) and it really helped it out. You've got hydraulic lifters with very small holes... if they get plugged they will sound like that.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

You know....now that you mention it you are very right.
Does sound much like lash adjusters that have not pumped up.
Sometimes just a fresh set of eyes or ears is what one needs.Thanks for your reply.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
imported post

:lash: I kow this is going to sound crazy but if you have road pegs on your bike be sure they are tight. I had a very similar problem with my 1200I. The noise would come and go with certin RPM's. The other day asI was warming ol Betsy up I put my feet on the pegs and the noise stopped. Sometimes we listen to closely, especially on old bikes.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

dodge wrote:
:lash: I kow this is going to sound crazy but if you have road pegs on your bike be sure they are tight. I had a very similar problem with my 1200I. The noise would come and go with certin RPM's. The other day asI was warming ol Betsy up I put my feet on the pegs and the noise stopped. Sometimes we listen to closely, especially on old bikes.
Amen to that,I know what you mean:shock:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

"Sometimes we listen to closely, especially on old bikes."

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and never had a ride-along jukebox in the dash before. I don't use it because I'm listening so intently to what the bike is trying to tell me.

Good advice on the lifters...and the pegs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.