Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

can anyone on this forum give me a general idea what a complete rebuild or overhaul would cost. rings, bearing, valve job, primary and starter chains, clutch,etc? I am thinking of doing my own rebuild and wanted a general idea of cost before I start. Would it be cheaper to buy used engine and trans.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

Hi Siebo

You can buy a used motor cheaper than a rebuild, but you won't know what you have.

How many miles do you have on the current engine and why are you thinking aboutrebuilding it?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Agreed, it usually costs a lot less to find a used engine. Since these things run nearly forever if they haven't been abused it's usually safe to go for a used engine as long as it hasn't been sitting around for a long time with water in the cylinders or in the weather. I also wonder why you feel the need to replace so much? I assume you're referring to your 1200 since the 1500 doesn't have a primary chain. I haven't seen a bad primary chain, that's pretty rare. I've opened up several 1100s and one 1200 that had pretty high mileages on them and didn't see anything wrong with the primary. Likewise bearings usually last for well over 100,000 miles, often for twice that. I know of a 1500 with over 360,000 miles that has only had routine maintenance and one clutch replacement.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The unit has over 85000 miles on her. Was making some kind of knocking noise when I bought it. When I was on my way to my work shop to check out the "noise" she "seized" on me. So I don't know how bad it really is yet and was trying to get reseanable idea whatmy "out of pocket" cost would beto completely refurbish before I started. I don't like to rebuild "half-assed". (If I takeit apart I like to replace all faulty and worn parts like new clutch whether I is do or not). What it to be done when done.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I agree with the others, easier and less trouble and less expense to find a good used engine. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.:)

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Look for a differnt engine, Honda is very proud of their parts, if you know what I mean, BIG$$$

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

Heck,

I've seen a runner 1200 engine for $300. I only use 1000s so I didn't buy it.I just paid $120 for a spare 1000 engine with a lot of other parts, and $50 for a frozen up one.
I'd just try to find another engine and reseal it and service it first.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I have over $600CND into the engine rebuild on my 80 GL1100. Mains and rod bearings, new rings, all gaskets and seals. Plus starter clutch rebuild, (included turning the part that is on the stator side). $120CND to have the crank checked and polished, the cylinders checked and honed. I am also having the stator rewound for $138CND, should have a little more juice when I get it back.
This doesn't include the rebuild of the shocks and forks, the recovering of the seat, ($100CND to sew up the pieces I cut my self) or any parts I will need to put into the drive shaft and rear end.

James
PS: this is ball park, I really don't want to know the exact $$$ I have into this. I payed $2000CND for the bike knowing it needed a head gasket, and was told it used a little oil, (three out of 4 oil rings where stuck solid) I was spending more on oil into the bike then gas.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

does anyone have good leads on a ggod used 1200

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.