Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Guys,

this is a weird one for me. My 96 gl1500 is stuck in max throttle. it acts as if the throttle is stuck wide open. Heres the situation. I was on a trip and i had the cruise control set and i noticed that my speed started to increase on its own. I killed the cruise control with the hand brake ,no response, tapped the foot brake, no repsonse. I decided to squeeze the clutch to see what happen, rpms went redline. Finally i got to a place where i could stop and check things out. First , i pulled the fuses to the cruise control, plug it back in started it , same thing max rpm. Second i pulled the filter housing so i could see the carberator. non of the cable were binding . the stopper was hitting the idle screw. the sync cable on the backside was also fucntioning properly. I did notice the Jets were fully exposed instead of pushed in, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

That sounds like a very large vacuum leak.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks for the reply WingnumberOne

Thats what i was told by a diesel Mechanic, lol. Any suggestions on where to start first?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

...Second i pulled the filter housing so i could see the carberator. non of the cable were binding . the stopper was hitting the idle screw....
That is weird and dangerous. Definitely do not ride it. I had a different bike that had a kink in the the throttle cable. While I was doing a wheelie...well you know happened.

Sounds like your throttle is sticking with that many RPMs. When you had the air filter did you physically look at the throttle plate by opening up the sliders? But, you said it is on the idle stop.

I would not think a stuck chock (fuel enrichment valve) would give you that high an rpm. Also, did your engine have a whole lot of power (wide open throttle) or was the 6,000 rpm just an observation?

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I do not have any suggestions,,,, just wanted to say Welcome to the club!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Can't help you on the problem, just wanted to welcome you to the forum........not to far from you:waving::waving:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Since you have the carbs exposed and you can look at them, does the linkage move freely? Does it return to the closed position? When you twist the throttle back and forth do the carbs open and close?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Just curious if you tried it with the fuse to cruise out?
Welcome aboard.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Not up on the 1500's but some cruise control units run off a vacuum diafram system. If yours is like this, pull the vacuum line off & plug the hole it came from. Than double check that your linkage is on the idle stop. Now start your bike, It should idle.

I think that when you start up, the vacuum diafram loads up & opens your throttle causing this to happen. Your diafram might be stuck or the valve that turns it off & on when you set your cruise might be stuck in the run position.

Hope that makes sense!

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Can't help either, but welcome to the forum!
There's been some great suggestions from the
other posters, though.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I gotta write all this down. alot of good areas to try. i hadnt thought of all those possiblities. You guys are the best thanks for all the help. will let you know how things turn out.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

buffalo_soldier wrote:
thanks for the reply WingnumberOne

Thats what i was told by a diesel Mechanic, lol. Any suggestions on where to start first?
Well, to my way of thinkin' (and your diesel mech. friend) - If your engine is making 6 grand, it needs a lot of air to do it.It sounds like the throttles are closed, from what you said - so where is the air coming from ? The cheapest, and easiest to fix is a vacuum leak - so that's where I'd start. I just happen to have an '88 ripped apart in the garage right now, so maybe these pics will help, they are clickys:

This one shows the vacuum pot for the cruise control, on the left side of the scoot. The groovy, red hose coming out of it is in horrible shape, and will be replaced before this thing goes back together. It looks dry-rotted to hell, and I can't believe it wasn't causing trouble - yours might be as bad or worse, worth checking.

This one is taken from over the dash, down into the "nest". It shows some of the 94 3/4 miles of vacuum line on a 1500. In the lower left of the pic, you can see the other end of that wretched, red line to the cruise pot. Before you get in too deep, check the hoses that tap off the intake manifolds down by the heads - they see the most heat.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Can't really help you with this problem, good answers above, welcome to the board. BTW I had a Toyota that did that once, all I could get was red line, turned out that the idle jet in the carb fell out and it was just sucking gas god luck fixing it.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

The red hose to the cruise control actuator should connect to the cruise control black box. That red hose should not have vacuum on it. If it does, it will open the carb to max throttle.

My cruise does not work. Since I was there, I wanted to see if that actuator with red hose was working. I bypassed the black vacuum line at the control box to the red hose on the actuator. Sure did work which was good for to know. Now, I just need to figure out why the controls (electrical) does not.

At 6,000 rpms, that would be one heck of a vacuum leak and would be very audible.

But, this may have actually found your problem!!!

That red hose with vacuum will open the throttle wide open. Sounds like that box abovehas a valve stuck. Disconnect that red hose.

With the engine off, the throttle is closed resting on the stops. But, when the engine starts, it starts to pulls vacuums. If the control box malfunction and has a stuck valve andsee vacuum onto the red hose, it starts topull the throttle open. Wide open !!!

Bet, let's put some money down.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

Howdy Buff...

This happened on my GL12 once.

It was in the cruise control cable. Try disconnecting the cable from the carbs and see if that helps.

Or...you could just get used to riding real fast!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Hatchetman had the answer early on. I just missed it.

Wingnumberone's first photo and red hose put it in perspective.

Do as Hatchetman said and pull the hose. Just pop off the two left covers to expose that red hose and actuator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.