Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi is it posible to install a 1200 engine on a 82 asp.1100?,are the output shaft the same,how about the carbs from the 1100 on the 1200 heads which have those extra holes on the admission intake?or the wiring from stator and advance unit working with the 1100 electricals.Probably 84s & 85s engine would work better?

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

The 1200 engine is wider, longer, and the mounting holes are different. With the proper torches, and welder, it could be made to fit. The 1100 carbs won't fit the 1200, and the wiring harness is totally different. Plus, for a net gain of only 4 to 6hp, it would just be too much work for so little gain. Sorry.:( But, welcome to the forum!:cool:

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi again,was asking about engine swap since I had a 1200 87 interstate than got it to 130 mph and still had almost another 1/4 throttle left on the grip.Full throttle on 82 asp. at the most 115 mph.Why so much difference in speed?.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Probably a gearing difference?

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

carl62motorcycles wrote:
Hi again,was asking about engine swap since I had a 1200 87 interstate than got it to 130 mph and still had almost another 1/4 throttle left on the grip.Full throttle on 82 asp. at the most 115 mph.Why so much difference in speed?.
Good question. My 81 would easily top over 126 mph according to Garmin. (GPS) While you 1200 would probably show 130, it is possible that with the built in error of the GW speedometer, your top speed was probably in the 125 mph range. As to your 82 topping out at 115, it could be something as simple as a tune up to as much as bad carb sycronisation, bad plug wires, or restricted air filter. But as was mentioned, the 1200s were geared differently to generate a lower rpm (and less engine noise) at normal road cruising speeds. But generally, although the 1200s were probably the best performance (due largely to better gearing selection from 1st thru 4th) 4 clylinder, top end wise, they were not really much faster than the 1100s, and a good 1100 can be made to out run any of them due to it's higher rpm limit and lighter weight.:) Also, just noticed that your from California, it is alleged that some California models of the 1100 have a washer welded into the exhuast header to restrict the top end of the bikes and to reduce emissions. It was mostly done to restrict the emmissions, but also slowed the bike down a lot. If I remember correctly, it is supose to be in the #3 header tube.:(

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site carl62motorcycles :waving::waving:

I second the idea that part of the higher apparent speed of the 1200 was the speedometer. Most of the 1200s I've ridden have a fairly large and increasing error as the speed climbs. At 70mph it's not uncommon to have a 1200s speedometer showing in excess of 75mph. The error seems to increase as the speed increases, it's not linear. The 1100s I've owned all seemed to have a more accurate speedo. My 1500 is always within one mph of what my GPS shows.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Wow thanks for the replys:cool:.Really interesting info.I do really love the handling and riding position on the 1100.Had an 87 and sold it in less than a year.Tried 1500 and also 1800 short rides.I know newer models are better.But I rather stick with 1100,would love to try a 1000.Always loved the look of the black 78.Has anybody hoped up any 1100?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nothing wrong with an 1100, one of the easiest of the full dressed 'Wings to work on too.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

carl62motorcycles wrote:
:shock:thats alot of speed you must be real brave:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

How do you know your going 115, my '82's speedo only goes to 85mph?.,,,

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Only two good methods I know if you have the Jimmy Carter 85mph speedometer, a stopwatch used on highway mileposts or a GPS.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That sounds pretty much the same as Jluvs2dive's old1200. When we rode together his bike always read about six or seven mph lower than than my 1500.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

GLester wrote:
The 1200 engine is wider, longer, and the mounting holes are different. With the proper torches, and welder, it could be made to fit. The 1100 carbs won't fit the 1200, and the wiring harness is totally different. Plus, for a net gain of only 4 to 6hp, it would just be too much work for so little gain. Sorry.:( But, welcome to the forum!:cool:

Hi Gene,do you know if the output shaft gears of the 1200 engine will fit right into the existing cardan of the 1100.Wasn't planning on changing main harness.just adapting spark advance unit and statorWondering if the 84 would fit since it looks pretty much the same on rear cover with the advance unit protuding sort of like the 1100..Are the intake holes in the head of 1200 smaller than the intake tubes on the 1100?.Thank you for the info.and welcome:clapper:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

IF your set on doing this and want to use the 1100 carbs you will need to fabricate some new intake runners . The 1200 engine is wider by about 1/2 inch .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.