Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?Anybody out there know if a Stock 75 GW engine will fit into a 81 GW ?.
This would be without great Mods of any kind.
Some Say Yes, Some say No.
Thought I'd ask you folks. Thank you.
Bill From South Dakota.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

It will fit the frame fine. Same mounting points. Electrical system has a lot of differences due to the 81 having electronic ignition, and different coils, and such.:)

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

The easy way would be to get the coils and condensers from the GL1000 or you could probably swap the rear cover and the ignition from the 1100 on to the 1000

Steve

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:bow:Thank you Gene.
My 75 has electronic ignition already. When I bought the bike(75) it had the EI, but the
person still used the stock coils. With the 75 already having the EI, could I not just use
the 81's coils?. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

:bow:Steve,
As I told Gene, the 75 has EI, could I not just use the 81's coils? or would it just be better to take the coils from the 75?. Thanks. Bill

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

its got EI but its after market and not the same as the 1100 EI but the motor can be used in the 81 ....but there will be a night and day difference in the gearing ....the 75 motor has a different secondary primary gearing and the bike will be very tall geared ....it will turn about 3600 rpm at 70mph ...an 81 1100 turns in the high 4000s zone close to 5000 rpm ....this is not nessarly a bad thing it will be nice on touring long distance and the tall first gear is managedable for sure i have a bike set up this way and like it a lot

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

with EI on the 75 it will hook up about the same way it dose on the 1000 nothing hard but you need to make sure you understand everythig ...it basicly has a hot wire that hooks to a key on hot wire ...the other wires hook to the wires that go to the coil ....but look into everything about it and be sure ...i know of one person who is hook up to stock 1100 coils but mine has the dyna coils that match the dyna EI my 79 has ....mines actualy a 1000 still it has a 1100 final drive hook up to it ...as for a great touring this a good mod and the bike didnt loose any power or acceleration either....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.