Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well the new old motor in heads back on new belts head gaskets ect . going to put ex. and rad back tomorrow will report back soon. mark.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi mark what model do you have

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I had a new one in 1980. Good solid bike.Good luck with her! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

well the engine in and running but oil light is staying on some times i dont think the motor been run for some years. any help thanks mark.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

HI MARK i think it would be a good idea if you could get your hands on an oil guage rather than depending on the oil light its possable the pressure switch is faulty if it has been lieing for a good while it may be blocked with oil that has dried up in side it but the guage will give you the exact amount of pressure

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

bump

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

thanks for the replys do you think a good engine flush might help?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Worth a try, put in some seafoam, MMO and run it for a few miles 100?..or let it warm up several times if you can't ride it...then change the oil and filter. But getting a gauge for oil pressure is a good idea..

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

all fixed i ran a engine flush new oil filter new oil light is off thanks mark.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

When you get a chance, pull off the cover to the oil pickup, it is right under the fuel pump, and clean the screen. It is probably where the problem originated. You will probably need a prybar to pull the frame away from the engine to get one bolt out, it isn't easy, but worth the effort.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I got a dumb question. How di you put on an oil guage? I hate thesee idiot lights.

Thanx, <<<Been wanting to do that fr a while!

Nightrider1

agnogel wrote:
HI MARK i think it would be a good idea if you could get your hands on an oil guage rather than depending on the oil light its possable the pressure switch is faulty if it has been lieing for a good while it may be blocked with oil that has dried up in side it but the guage will give you the exact amount of pressure

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Adding a "T" where the oil sensor is screwed in and adding the gauge to the "T", is one way.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

Adding a note for anyone troubleshooting a blinking or flashing oil pressure light -

My '81 GL1100 was fine until I started running it on the street - then the oil light would come on, and was blinking / flashing until I would shut down. I bit the bullet and pulled the oil screen cover ; quite a pain in the tuchus if I may say so.

My oil screen was clogged - this bike had been ridden into a river I believe, and the goo left in the engine turned to jelly in the intake. A few blasts with some carb cleaner and air pressure took care of that.

One last note: the service manual talks about pouring fresh oil into the fill point to flush "clutch particles" out - I thought that was rather useless, but they mentioned "scraping the particles out with your finger" and since the hole was open, I stuck finger in.... and began scraping out a fine layer of crud built up under the pickup. So do take a second to "swipe out" the pickup port, even if you don't see the need to pull clutch particles out you will certainly find silt built up in just about any engine.

and a hint for those working alone: while stretching out the frame with a pry bar, insert an 8mm wrench (or similar spacer) between frame and engine mount - this will hold it out approx 1/4in while you get the 4th bolt out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.