Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK guys, give me some suggestions for heated grips for my 83 GL1100. Went to work last night and it was only 47 degrees. Got off work this am and it had to be in the low 30's. Add wind chill and my poor digits felt like I was getting frost bite. I have good leather gloves but the wind still gets around the fairing and clips my hands. I had to pull over 3 times and lay hands on the pipes to warm the gloves up. Finally put the rain covers on to break the wind. I do 32 miles 1 way to work at 10pm.

I've replaced the bumper running lightsand 2 tail light bulbs with LED to free up some amps/wattage so I think I'm inside the range to run them. I understand they use 20-30 watts on high and around 15 watts on low.

So does anyone have a good source for some that'll last and the wires wont break on the throttle side? I've seen some Hot Grips on ebay in the $50 range. Do I need 4.5" or 5.5"? Any help in choosing would be greatly appreciated and my digits will be indebted to you.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Why don't you try heated gloves and not tap into the bike's system?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I feel your pain, I've rode that last couple of days, mornings about 27 degrees and I also have the same problem.

What they need is "Finger Fairings", this will keep the wind off the hands. I'm suprised I haven't seen anything like that around.

It looks like I'll have to spend the $ for heated gloves!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I've often thought that getting some hand guards like on the Vstroms might be a good low end alternative.

When its real cold, I wear a pair of hunters mittens. they have thinsulate lining, and the ends have a 'garage door' that peels back to allow you to use your fingers, as if you were going to use your rifle... They cost about $15. Not pretty, but effective. The first day I used them, I rode 90 miles in 30 degree weather, and they didfine, not great, but fine considering the price.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
imported post

Greatest thing since slided bread for under 50 bucks.
http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph400.htm
Initially used on snowmobiles. This company has a motorcycle version. Cylinder fits inside the handle bar ends and heats the grips. Mine will be ordered next week, two friends of mine have them and say they work great. (You do have to drill a hole to run the wires however.

Good luck in your quest. I got a set of heated gloves for Christmas from my children, bless their hearts, but after pricing the vest and controllers, I said no way. Gloves wear out and are too stiff for me. Over 400 dollars total for the outfit. I could get pipes for that. ;-)

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I just use my Hippo Hands. They require no power, they cover the grips and the levers and controls, they can be put on and removed in less than a minute.:)Plus, they keep my hands dry. They are ugly as sin, but they work good.:)

http://www.hippohands.com/?gclid=CLqBrZ366JcCFQsMGgodIzdoBw

Gene:waving:

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

NomadicWing wrote:
Greatest thing since slided bread for under 50 bucks.
http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph400.htm
Initially used on snowmobiles. This company has a motorcycle version. Cylinder fits inside the handle bar ends and heats the grips. Mine will be ordered next week, two friends of mine have them and say they work great. (You do have to drill a hole to run the wires however.

Good luck in your quest. I got a set of heated gloves for Christmas from my children, bless their hearts, but after pricing the vest and controllers, I said no way. Gloves wear out and are too stiff for me. Over 400 dollars total for the outfit. I could get pipes for that. ;-)

Well I don't know about the 1500, but these definitely will NOT work on the 1100's. The handle bars on the 1100's are plugged at the ends. Would be a good idea to get a look at yer bars before ordering.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Another vote for Hippo Hands. Been using them for 2 years now, and they are great.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

how about the plastic hand protectors like dirtbikes have? the do block the wind from your hand

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

detdrbuzzard wrote:
how about the plastic hand protectors like dirtbikes have? the do block the wind from your hand
Gee I wish I had said that:D

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

keithg64 wrote:
When it gets really cold I use mittens, I got a good cheap pair at Walmart with thinsulate.
Gee, I wish I had said that too!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I've learned that electrics are the best way to deal with cold. Electric gloves take care of the back of the hands. Grip heaters don't.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

My plexifaring windshield worked great keeping the wind off my hands. And a good pair of gloves did the trick. Now I wear Gerbing's heated gloves and love them. With the golves, jacket liner and socks I can ride as long as I want no matter how cold it is. Best thing I ever did. But to use them on an 1100 you would have to upgrade to a bigger alternator.

Bernie

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

ptblood wrote:
I've learned that electrics are the best way to deal with cold. Electric gloves take care of the back of the hands. Grip heaters don't.
My thinking exactly. Welcome ptblood!

I just tough it out right now with fingerless gloves on short runs and alternate hands in the pockets. I use gauntlet style lined leather gloves when it's a long run or below 35 F like I always have.

I didn't like the feel of the Gerbings gloves, and didn't like the no-feel effect of the bike. Also they have fingers too long for my hands and no other options.

And I gots de powa baby. So that isn't an issue.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

My 18 has heated grips and I have to say they work way better than I expected them to. Despite only heating on the palm side of the hand, my whole hands stay nice and toasty. I rode on a 200 mile trip on Monday in below freezing conditions and my fingers were lovely and warm. I use a good pair of Thinsulated gloves with fabric outsides that are good for pretty cold conditions but were inadequate for sub zero on the 1500 with no heated grips.

Just an emergency tip, in case anyone gets caught out with inadequate gloves etc... grab a couple of plastic bags from a garage, or supermarket and pull them on over the top of your gloves. Not so easy to use the throttle, because they are somewhat slippery, but they will save your fingers from freezing up. I have done this a couple of times in the past and it has saved the day and kept my hands remarkably warm.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Well I trimmed off alot of wattage by swapping out to led's from LED Brights. The tail light alone from what I've read (if I'm correct) uses 15w just for the running and the brakes use another 30-35 watts.Theres 2 power sucking bulbs in there. That abouts 45-5o watts shaved down to led level which uses a fraction of what the incandescants use.
The heated grips use 15-30 watts. With the stock bulbs I could actually see the voltage needle drop on the voltmeter when I applied the brakes,they use that much juice. After installing the led tail lights the needle doesn't budge. I'm still running the stock headlight bulb so no extra juice being used there.
So I'm thinking I may have enough to run the grips if I go that route.

I have to do something. Its a tolerable ride in when its upper 40's at night, but come morning its down in the low 30's. Even good gloves can't keep my digits warm. And when my digits get cold,I'm miserable.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I use a set of "Head - Outlast" ski gloves when I have to ride in the cold. They have a pouch on the back of the hand for hand warmer packs. Works great for me, but I have good circulation in my hands so they don't tend to get as cold as some of the other people I ride with.

One of the best things is just to keep the wind off of the gloves. Something like the Hippo hands or just anything to block the wind will help greatly.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I live in the south now. But used to live in Oregon. Got cold up there for sure. What everyone overlooks is mittens. I have a pair of very good mittens with a gore tex waterproof liner that I used to use with a snowmobile. In 30 to 40 degree weather they are in fact too hot. Ideal in those negative ten degree days.

Kit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.