Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If you found this thread and want to see the history of planning stages and you don't have anything else to do.... the read on. Otherwise you can jump to the new thread.

There is some worthwhile reading on this thread, but it is easier to start fresh than edit all of this.... so read on but much has changed.

THE ORIGINAL POST PERTAINING TO MY TRIP TO THE KEYS:

First.... the thinking of it:

If someone told YOU that you only had so much time to live what would be different in your life? Where or how or when you ride change? Would the amount of time you spend watching tv or movies change?

Would there be a shift in the things that got you upset if you lived knowing that you only had so many days, weeks, months to live?

What would become important or unimportant in your life? Would you stop and “smell the roses” more? Would your “stress” list or your “goal” list change? Would how you interact with people – strangers and friends alike – change?

Really, what if someone told you that you only had so much time to live? Well, I'm telling you. No matter who you are or what you believe or what values or morals you have or what motorcycle you do or don't ride there is a truth as bright as the sun… and that is the amount of time you have left to live is diminishing.

The vast, vast majority of people live in an illusion and walk around in a catatonic state as if there is a guarantee of another breathe, another day, another year. One of the saddest things I hear is the phrase “when I retire.” Sure, plan for tomorrow, but live now. Besides, I'd bet no one has ever said from their death bed "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

There really is only so much time.... I hope you too SEIZE THE JOURNEY!

Now....

No, I don't have cancer or anything like that, but I do want to do something very special for me before I do.

I guess you could tell by the subject line that I am justifying an "Epic Motorcycle Ride." I am justifying a trip sooner than later. I am in the initial planning stages of doing my Epic Motorcycle Ride in Dec. of 2011. Not next summer, not next fall, but next month. I have several things to work out, one of them is permission to be gone from my employment for 25 or 28 days, depending on how long it takes to do what I plan to do. I want to do a Christmas Season Tour that extends from Seattle to Los Angeles, Phoenix AZ, El Paso, TX, Mission TX, Orlando, Fl, South Beach, Fl, Key West, Fl and back home. 8,500+ miles in 28 days.

I have plenty of details to work out. I plan to do this solo with limited camping supplies on board. My budget for over night stays is "0" in that I plan to use a variety of options for camping..... none of which will be a state or national park or a KOA. I will rely on family, friends, online motorcycle forum members, AA and my Goldwing Road Riders Association Membership Roster. (More on that GWRRA roster later.) With adequate planning and coordination, I should be able to accomplish this. Of course if I get stuck in a weather situation, I would take a Super 8 or Motel 6

Here is a link to my proposed route:

route

My route is not set in stone. I do have some points that I cannot eliminate such as Phoenix, El Paso, Mission Tx, New Orleans, Orlando, Key West.... and of course I gotta see the Alamo and catch a fish on the Atlantic Ocean. I am open minded to modification of my route. I have no return itinerary in mind other than staying south for the best possible weather.

So, if you are close to my proposed route or if you have a suggestion or a must see..... and you want to either be a local guide, I am all in for that. I would love to meet as many folks from the forum as I possibly could. If you see a section of this ride that interests you and you would like to hitch on for some of it, I would welcome that too.

I am not sure if I will use a Spot tracker or not but I will be online whenever possible and I will update my progress using a blog of some type and from time to time, I will link to it on this site. If someone has some suggestions on the use of the Spot Tracker system, I would appreciate learning of your experience using it.

My departure date is Dec. 7th and I will be back in Seattle on Jan. 2nd. That is it. I am going. I am going soon.

I will travel light. Solo camping gear. I use a cot tent and a Jetboil cooking system. My whole campsite can be setup in 10 minutes and taken down in the same amount of time. Low impact back yard camping......

About the Goldwing Road Riders Association Gold Book. Those that are members know of it and its power to connect people. The Gold book is a voluntary listing by state and city of members who offer camping, trailer towing, tools or road assistance to other members out on the road. This is a road tested system. I plan to use the GWRRA Gold book to fill in on areas that I am not offered a place in a person's back yard.

So, 8500 miles and not sure how many smiles. But I really look forward to this adventure.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Larry .... the link to your proposed route just takes me to a blank Map Quest page (no route on it)

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Larry .... the link to your proposed route just takes me to a blank Map Quest page (no route on it)
Thanks for letting me know. I changed the link. When I click on it, it goes to my proposed route. Perhaps mapquest has me in a endless loop.

In your review of my proposed route, please do make recommendations. With your experience of moto-camping in the south, I would really appreciate any of your comments.

Last year I rode as far as Phoenix two up pulling a trailer down 93 from Twin Falls into Las Vegas and we made a few loops in Arizona. I have not traveled the south on motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Sounds like an exciting trip. I think the luck you'll need is a nice window to get through the Siskiyous at that time of year though.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

donno wrote:
Sounds like an exciting trip. I think the luck you'll need is a nice window to get through the Siskiyous at that time of year though.
Good info. This is the mountain range just inside of California coming from Oregon, correct? I hopefully will get the weather gods lined up for a dry pass. I can handle the cold as I have heated gear.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Larry,

Your route south is not a problem until you get south of Roseburg Or. At that point you will be climbing in elevation and eventually going over several passes including the Siskiyou Pass after you pass Ashland Or.. (Siskiyou Road Cams) (scroll down to see the cameras) also check the road conditions via the Oregon DOT Trip Check for SW Oregon

The only way to avoid mountain passes going south is to go over to the coast and around.

Just keep an eye on the weather, they will keep the passes plowed and sanded, but it will still be dangerous on a motorcycle this time of year. You will be in mountains all the way from Roseburg Or. to Red Bluff CA.

It also looks like your trip is on the superslabs most of the way. It appears your goal is to get to Key West as fast as possible. If you have 4 weeks to do this you might think about some side roads that while slower may be more scenic.

I'm also concerned about your return in January back over the passes. That time of year is heavy snow time for the passes.

I wish I had the time off to join you!!

Henry

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Yeah, wow.....

You got more cojones than I've got lad! Heavy snow in them there passes....got any heated gear?

I think a more practical route would be to hug the coast, wet but probably snowfree, until you get south enough to head east..... that's how I'd do it!

Oh, wait a minute....that's your route....right?

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hanko and Jack. Good info.

Hugging the coast is a good idea at least into California around the passes. Wine_r, another forum member, who did the Crater Lake ride in August has an interest in doing a combined ride at least to Louisiana but we are discussing a return trip as well.

I have Gerbing heated coat, gloves and boot liners. I only have insulated riding pants. I might buy the pant liner.... but my legs never get cold.

I am off to get my finger prints taken for my concealed weapons permit.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Also, one option we have if the weather does not cooperate in the northern part is to trailer the bikes south of the California Passes and leave the truck and trailer there for the return trip. It takes some of the adventure out of the whole thing...... but makes a return trip do able too.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

If you spend the night in or around New Orleans, I'll do my best to meet up. Always fun to meet a forum member. I'm working 7/7, so may be off, may not.
Be safe

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
imported post

When you get into Central California, head down the 99 instead of the I-5. That'll take you through Modesto/Fresno/Bakersfield. The road is a lot less boring and only a couple of miles longer.

The I-5 through there is enough to put even the best rider to sleep. Boooorrrrrrriiiinnnngggg.

Looks like a fun ride though.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

Finally got your route map to come up. You'll be 6 miles from my house. Hwy90 and Hwy1

Watch out for road gators

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Maybe we will meet up out there somewhere on the way.
I just posted something the other day I am going to do a gulf coast type ride soon myself.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

tigger wrote:
When you get into Central California, head down the 99 instead of the I-5. That'll take you through Modesto/Fresno/Bakersfield. The road is a lot less boring and only a couple of miles longer.

The I-5 through there is enough to put even the best rider to sleep. Boooorrrrrrriiiinnnngggg.

Looks like a fun ride though.
Good info. Thanks. I been down to N. Cal on the wing in August. I concur. I rode the 101 back home through Oregon.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

dwsonar wrote:
Finally got your route map to come up. You'll be 6 miles from my house. Hwy90 and Hwy1

Watch out for road gators
Road Gators..... hummm..... I am trying to picture those. 6 mile corner cafe?

Thanks for the info. Back at you as the trip gets further in the planning stage.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Chromo wrote:
Maybe we will meet up out there somewhere on the way.
I just posted something the other day I am going to do a gulf coast type ride soon myself.
Wine_r is headed with me and wants to hit Joplin for a visit with a friend there. That is where we split up for awhile. I am on my way to Mission Texas as he goes up to Missouri.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

dwsonar wrote:
If you spend the night in or around New Orleans, I'll do my best to meet up. Always fun to meet a forum member. I'm working 7/7, so may be off, may not.
Be safe
Down your way is where Wine_r and I will be splitting off for a bit. 7 to 7 is riding hours.

It is always good to meet forum members.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Yeah, wow.....

You got more cojones than I've got lad! Heavy snow in them there passes....got any heated gear?

I think a more practical route would be to hug the coast, wet but probably snowfree, until you get south enough to head east..... that's how I'd do it!

Oh, wait a minute....that's your route....right?
Last April I rode from Seattle to Phoenix via Sun Valley (Boise) and then down through Las Vegas, Nevada on 93 and then over to Phoenix. Two up pulling a trailer.

When we got to Dead man's pass in Oregon, we got snow accumulation on the road way. I was concerned as the trucks were passing me at 65 mph and I was riding 35 with my motorcycle tire in a tire track and my trailer tires breaking trail. Good thing that didn't last very long! Got over the pass and the sun was shinning.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

larryinseattle wrote:
My proposed riding partner is headed with me and wants to hit Joplin for a visit with a friend there.

That 'proposed riding partner' is none other than myself. Kind of a let down, huh.

I had just started a long posting about my trip yesterday and at the end of it I went to google maps to make out the route to put into the posting and when I went to adjust the route it froze my IE8 and lost the posting. Since I am a two finger typist, I was not ready for another 2 hour session.

Then this morning I learn of Larrys trip on almost an identical route, only further. Only 1 week off in timing and since I was laid off I think I can adjust. My starting point is in Keizer Oregon so I will have a few less miles to do.

I will write more later

Steve

Code:
I've shared a map with you called Driving directions to Lanagan, MO:
You can view this map at
[url=http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&vpsrc=1&ctz=480&vps=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=207965419760546760636.0004b1e1205ccce78e69f][u][color=#0068cf]http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&vpsrc=1&ctz=480&vps=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=207965419760546760636.0004b1e1205ccce78e69f[/color][/u][/url]
Will write more later.
Code:
Code:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I edited some of my initial posts to include you since you identified yourself there Steve. I hope we can make these schedules commingle.

The forum does it again. Amazing power.

Wine_r wrote:
Then this morning I learn of Larrys trip on almost an identical route, only further. Only 1 week off in timing and since I was laid off I think I can adjust. My starting point is in Keizer Oregon so I will have a few less miles to do.

I will write more later

Steve

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.