Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have read that ethanol is not good for our engines. So does anyone run ethanol free gas? Does it make that big of a difference? My problem is the closest station is about 85 miles away.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
OK I have read that ethanol is not good for our engines. So does anyone run ethanol free gas? Does it make that big of a difference? My problem is the closest station is about 85 miles away.
Honda does not recommend that you use a Ethanol-blended fuel in your '88 1500.

From Honda Motor Company:
Can I use ethanol fuel in my Honda product?
E10 ethanol fuel can be used with Honda Marine and Power Equipment, and also motorcycles produced after 1990, although it is not recommended. It's important to know:
1. Ethanol Fuel can damage paintwork - Take care not to spill when refuelling, and promptly wipe off any spill.
2. Rubber Fuel System Parts may become degraded more quickly.
3. Depending on weather, and the condition of the motorcycle, driveability may be adversely affected.
4. For marine applications it's best to speak to the boat builder. There will be issues with certain fuel tanks (aluminium and fibreglass) as well as hoses and other fuel line components.
5. Use of higher ethanol grade fuels may cause running and/or performance issues. If an engine failure occurs and a higher ethanol grade fuel has been used then repairs will not be covered by the Honda limited warranty​

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I am actually trying this out to see if it makes a difference. I started using pure 87 at a local airport in December so I could avoid separation of 10% ethanol over the winter. Started it up a bunch of times to keep everything fresh over that time period, as well as adding pure gas to make dilution extremely minimal. Now that the weather is good, figured I will get a few tanks in with pure stuff and measure the overall mileage. Then compare normal pump gas to it. Already went through one tank, and since I cannot take the bike to the pump, I have to use my 5gal gas can to fill it up.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
dont have much choice in this part of the country,haven't had any problems,but i'm sure that gas mileage and performance would be better if we could use it

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Ethanol is BAD for any gasoline engine and fuel system. It does more damage to some than others. It seems to be particularly hard on bikes. If I could get ethanol free gas I would. There is only one station nearby that sells it, and requires a 15 mile ride through city traffic to get to. I did go get several gallons of it in jugs to put in a couple of bikes I have stored, along with some stabilizer. But it is just not practical for me to use it on a regular basis.

I have a 1972 Pinto wagon, and I put a qt. of 2 stroke oil in every tank of gas, to help protect the valves from this stuff. It might also help in bikes, as long as they don't have a catalytic converter.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Ethanol is BAD for any gasoline engine and fuel system.....
UNLESS the system is made for it.

....I have a 1972 Pinto wagon, and I put a qt. of 2 stroke oil in every tank of gas, to help protect the valves from this stuff. It might also help in bikes, as long as they don't have a catalytic converter.
Older cars like that (pre 75) depended on lead in the gas, this has nothing to do with ethanol. Ethanol will eat the rubber and other parts just the same, with or without other 'additives'.

I have never had any issues DIRECTLY related to the E-10 (so far anyway), but I know others that said they have.

Bill

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The lead in the gas back then both increased the octane, and lubricated the valves and valve seats. It is commonplace around here for vintage car owners to add some oil to the gas to help protect things that were designed for leaded gas. Unleaded gas in not good for these engines, ethanol laced unleaded gas is even worse.

So far I have not found any damage to my cars from ethanol, but I have had serious damage done to bikes from it. It destroyed the stock plastic tanks on 2 Honda dirt bikes, along with the petcocks, vent hoses, fuel lines, and some internal carb parts. I have had to rebuild the petcock on my Vulcan 750 3 times. The rubber parts just melted.

Some engines are designed to use the stuff. Any vehicle with such an engine will say "flex fuel" on it. Engines designed for gasoline should not use it, though most people have little choice. Ethanol is not an ingredient of gasoline.

I have read in more than one place that ethanol laced gas causes billions of $$$ in vehicle damage per year in the U.S.

I was planning on getting a new car (Volkswagen Beetle) next year, but I really hate to spend so much money on a vehicle, and then put that crap in it. VW does not make a "flex fuel" version.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Deleted ramblings of the overstressed over worked LOL

·
Registered
224 Posts
I started using this stuff call "Star-tron" a couple of years ago and have had great luck with using it. I also, used it when I put the bike away for the winter the last 3 years. When I start the bike in the spring it starts up right, and runs good even on the 1st tank of gas. I have found that the gas in my area will go bad just setting after about a month. The more ethanol in the gas , the faster it will go bad. Talked to the owner an he says that it will take the place of Sea Foam if you are trying to clean out carbs.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
"E-10" is a "blended fuel" and not "Gasoline". Not my opinion but a industry fact. Individual gas stations are "Marketers" and provide advertising based on coporate policy if franchised or whatever works if independant.
Just telling what I know.

My experience, both with factory Kehien and single-carb GL's, is that blended-fuel E-10 gives less MPG than Gasoline.

Every time.

...and less power. The state of tune between the two fuels require retuning if maximum performance is your thing.

This is my experience with E-10 and Gasoline using GL1000's.

A 1500 should be the same.
A 1800 should compensate well-enough.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Just wait until the 15% ethanol comes around. You haven't seen anything yet until you run that stuff and you thought 10% was bad.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I'm able to get ethanol free gasoline at one station in our area - do when I can. It gives me ~4 MPG better mileage.
Ya sure and at what cost like $0.40 -$0.60 higher?
Great if you get less than 40PMPG normally and only paying $.40 more for pure!

I run it also when I can, it's not better than a break even point for me at best normaly though I do prefer it.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.