Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been reading the problems people that own older bikes as far as running Ethanol Gasoline.Gas 25 to 30 years ago didn't have much ethanol in but did have lead or was doing away with leaded gasoline .Here are some of the problems Ethanol Gasoline is doing to your fuel system breaking down the rubber fuel lines and o rings ,Soften up plastic and rubber gaskets there is no kit for carb versions and fuel injection versions on the Goldwings so the only thing you can do is replace all these items.I have been reading these tech foums for over a year when the bike starts running rough someone says pour a whole can of Seafoam in the tank and it will cure your problem wrong.Seafoam is a consentrate a pint is for 8-25 gallon tank people you have a 6 gallon tank on the Goldwing not knowing you are messing up.First of all you are shocking the heck out of your fuel system like breaking varnish,rust and water through your filter to what ever you have on the bike injection or carbs on the bike and this is where the fun begins a fuel filter doesn't catch every thing.Yes SeaFoam will clean a fuel system if you use it like it suppose to be used .Gasoline sometimes where you buy it might run good in your bike and you fill up somewhere else and the bike runs like crap Gasoline is now set up for these Flex fuel cars and trucks and such before long cars,trucks and motorcycles are going to be set up to run totally on Ethanol and unless there is a kit we are going to have problems and Seafoam won't fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

I get into probably 50 sets of motorcycle carbs a year. The the main problem I see that appears to be ethanol related is a greenish varnish on the carb parts when the bike as not been run for a month or more. I notice it most on plastic parts which newer bikes especially Yamaha's seem to have more of.
Ethanol is corrosive, no question about it and Seafoam like any other chemical additive needs to be used according label directions.

I always recommend shutting off the fuel and running the carbs dry if the bike is going to sit. On bikes with vacuum operated fuel valves this involves disconnecting the vacuum line and plugging it to force the valve to close.

On the larger issue of Ethanol in general there isn't enough land or water in this country or perhaps world to supply this country's fuel needs. Ethanol plants are failing left and right and the public's willingness to subsidize them is falling off rapidly. I suspect that this experiment is nearing an end.

Just my opinion

Steve

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have known when gas ahol was popular for give my spelling.It was suppose to be the best thing and several start up companies started up and failed any thing not making it right to water mixed with their gas.When I was growing my dad owned a gas station the truck that delivered the gas also sold cheap gas to these independent gas stations he would have to climb up on top of the tanker and break ice with the measuring stick just to get it to flow out of the tank on real cold days.I don't how stations are monitored these days as far as gas but at times some tank full get better mileage than others.I have also noticed that some of the fellow forum members are talking about their bikes valves rattling a lot of that is the octane and such and running rough I often wonder some of the convent stores getting gas with water in and when you pull up at the pump if the storage tank in the ground it picks up that water and down into your gas tank then the real fun begins .I had a friend at work that had a old Ford F-150 pickup he said it was running bad I told him to go buy a can of Seafoam so he did two can poured it in the gas tank and the fun began he said that thing spit and sputtered until he ran that tank out.He told me days later what he had done I said well what ever was in that tank may have been pushed through the fuel system or in your filter.He told me the truck hasn't ran that good in a while.I also told him he went overboard on the Seafoam but he was happy with the resuilts.

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

SuperSkypilot wrote:
On the larger issue of Ethanol in general there isn't enough land or water in this country's or perhaps world to supply this country fuel needs. Ethanol plants are failing left and right and the public's willingness to subsidize them is falling off rapidly. I suspect that this experiment is nearing an end.
Let's hope you are right.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I can't say it was because of ethanol, but I'll relate my recent experience.. my '83 has been sitting for nearly a year (with a full tank of california ethanol laced premium with some fuel stabilizer in it.. gas was probably Chevron with techron since thathas beenmy usualfuel of choice).. I recently shipped my '83 from CA to SC, put in a new battery.. it fired immediately but ran like crap.. coughed.. sputtered, missed.. .. I poured in a half-a-can of seafoam and before the tank was empty, it was running much better.. another tank (Exxon ethanol premium.. can't find Chevron) with the second half of a can and itwas running nearly perfectly.. just an ocasional miss at idle.. just filled it up with some Philips 66 premium ETHANOL FREE, and within 20 miles all issues (the idle ocasional miss) were gone... No real proof here, but (1) Seafoam works.. and (2) myone incident of anecdotal evidence indicates it runsdifferently on ETHANOL FREE... (wasn't "free" though.. 30 cents per gallon moresans booze)

edit: regarding "premium".. this '83 pings on anything less than 91 Octane.. has since the day I bought it..

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Sandiegobrass for your input Seafoam makes a very good product but use it like it says on the can and don't go crazy with it.As far as Ethanol there are people all across the country starting to have problems with their fuel system not just on motorcycles but cars and trucks and just about have to rebuild their fuel system this stuff is rough on parts on older engines and some newer too.They are talking about a make a 100 percent Ethanol burning engine to be produced for cars and trucks most likely Ethanol gas will be totally done away with and straight ethanol pumps at gas stations will be sell the stuff the stuff does burn cleaner but right now there isn't any kits to help it from breaking down parts on gasoline engines yet.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

Is there a label at the pumps that says whether there is ethanol in the gas?

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
imported post

I believe...IMHO...that law requires the posting of a label or sign on the pump, stating the content quantity of ethanol in the gasoline...if it has it added; at least here in Arkansas, it does.
Norm

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Kind of off the subject but I will never use ethanol in anything I own. I own a Boat and a few years ago the warning went out to Boat owners to steer clear of it because it was destroying engines at an alarming pace. I have known some folks that put it in Bikes and they have had problems. I guess its okay if you have an engine designed for it. older wings were not designed for this type of fuel.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Some of you people may not be aware Bazil was having the same problem we are having now on their cars and such years ago.Their cars and motorcycles now run on Elthanol or pure Ethanol from sugar cane I don't think they import hardly any oil from other countries.GM and other companies went down there and studied the effects of ethanol on their cars and trucks before producing flex fuel cars and trucks in this country.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
Kind of off the subject but I will never use ethanol in anything I own. ..
Good luck.. Kinda hard to do most places... In California, for example, the only place I could possibly buy ethanol free gas is at the airport (100LL) and it would have lead in it... some other states have ethanol free available... and it is labeled?? most are, but it depends on the state laws.. no federal requirement....

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I bet when you get real gas you feel it in your wallet.Can you spell ouch in California they have the toughest envoroment laws in the country so you people get clamped down on way before other parts of the country as far as laws I can only wonder how strict your laws are.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
imported post

Just dont get caught running leaded fuel on the highway.Possession and use of leaded gasoline in a regular on-road vehicle now carries a maximum $10,000 fine in the US

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is bad as running off the road diesel in cars and trucks if they stop you at a lisence check and you running the wrong color fuel in that truck or car get ready to get off your wallet.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I do know you could buy a lead additive to put in your gas if you own a car that is older than 1975 but haven't seen any lately.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Very interesting to read so far.

I understand that ethanol is creeping into fuel over here now and it is having an effect on older cars and bikes.You can still buy and use lead additive over here and most Vintage cars and bikes use this. I have also heard about lead shot being used in a bag in the tank of cars and bikes to off set the lack of lead. I know that when I was stripping mine down I found a plastic container of lead shot in the tank. I asked the PO about this and he said He had been given this to try and had forgotten about it. Don't ask me if this works but it did no harm.

We have not had leaded fuel for several years but have a higher octane rated premium unleaded that seems to work well on my 1980 goldie. As Sandy said the octane rating effect my bikes pinging as well.

There are marking on pumps stating the ethanol amount but I have not taken much notice till now.

Cheaper fuel over here contains an additive that turns the plugs a sort of red pink colour I have posted this before and was told what this was but I have forgotten that answer. I believe it was phosphate or phosphorous. The fuel sold in supermarkets over here includes this stuff and is mainly shipped in from Europe .

There is growing concern about ethanol inclusion in the fuel here but the rumblings are low at the moment.

I for one will now pay this additive much greater attention.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.