Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have looked up past threads on ethanol, have read some good stuff on it, I don't want to run ethanol in my 89' Wing, I try to fill up in North Dakota when I can where I can get straight gas, my 01' yamaha golf car has been running crappy lately, a mechanic who I know to be knowledgeable claims it's the Minnesota gas with ethanol init, he also feels MN is putting more ethanolin than they claim. Nothing against ethanol, BUT, if it's wrecking my carbs, I would like the option of getting non-ethanol gas,my weed-wacker, leaf blower, lawn mower run like crap, I feel it's the ethanol eating up the o-rings in the carbs, from what I'm being told. I hear"non-oxygenated" gas is non-eth, but it's not readily available(in MN).The ethanol gasin my fuel-injected cars are no problem, but there are many gas powered carbed engines still around, with no option ofstraight gas, Minnesota seems to be a big pusher of ethanol.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,798 Posts
imported post

I used to have a '72 Chevy Impala, 400 CI with the two barrel carb on it. That thing with good gas, would burn the tires off.

with our winter gas, it would barely run and get out of its' own way.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,505 Posts
imported post

I think ethanol laced gas is here to stay... Try a higher octane gas like 91-92 octane. That's what I use in my outboard, lawnmower, weedeater, etc.,, and they run pretty good!

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Funny thing....I have no problems with my bike running on the ethanol laced fuel. Spoke with several other bikers here at Thunder Beach and they all said the same. One did tell me that he had problems after the bike sat up for a while. Clearly if I had my choice I would run pure gas, but that's becoming increasingly, if not impossibly, harder to find.

As far as High Octane gas is concerned. I think it's a waste of money. Also, stations sell so little of it that it sits in their volume tanks for such a long time that you run the danger of condensation on the tank walls, which ends up in the gas, which ends up in your tank.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I have a buddy with a 1986 Aspy....Ive got a 1984 Aspy. We will both fill up and ride.....he insists on premium fuel, I buy the cheapy ethanol crap.

First his excuse was "I get better gas mileage". Well, we rode three tanks full in two days time. We fueled up at the same place, rode the same roads at the same pace....right next to each other. He got 37mpg....I got 44mpg. That theory is busted.

Next...."well in the manual it says you have to use premium"....of course he doesnt have his manual...but I carry mine in the bike. Whip it out and......the verdict is....hes full of it. Says anything over 86 pump octane rating.

I guess my theory is if your actually using and riding the bike.....the ethanol is fine. Im not sure I would want a tank full of it setting for a LONG time in my bikes....but Ive let 7 bikes set with Stabil treated ethanol in them from Nov thru April or so with no ill effects. Did recently have my daughters 50cc ATV munch a valve which my mechanic attributed to ethanol as the engine had a "gummy" and "sticky" build up on the valves and such....he thinks the ethanol caused it which kept a valve open a wee bit to long....who knows.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I haven't seen any internal garbage on valve stems or piston tops caused by ethanol. Even with alcohol the fuel burns a lot cleaner with less deposits than it used to do with lead. That said I hate ethanol, the stuff will reduce the power of your engine because it contains less BTUs per unit than gasoline, it's hydrophilic, can enhance corrosion, and gives less mileage than straight gasoline. Many US States now mandate ethanol due to political not scientific reasons. Oregon mandates 10% of the crap in gasoline and Washington State seems to do the same. Federal requirements mandate some ethanol content in US gasoline and it's scheduled to increase the amount over a period of a few years. It ain't gonna get better, like most of the new rules it seems to be more a benefit for farm states to give politicians more votes than for the betterment of citizens.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
imported post

I too think it is here to stay. I think if you are getting it for the first time. You may need to change fuel filters a time or two. If there is any moisture in the bottom of your tank it will soak it up and threw the carbs it will go. My bikes run fine with it. The only thing I notice if I get outside my home area for a few days. I can get about 5 to 10% better miage with 100% gas. If you have a set of carbs that are all gummed up and in need of service. The alcohol will bring that problem to the surface real quick.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Xtracho wrote:
As far as High Octane gas is concerned. I think it's a waste of money. Also, stations sell so little of it that it sits in their volume tanks for such a long time that you run the danger of condensation on the tank walls, which ends up in the gas, which ends up in your tank.
Things may have changed since I retired from a local refinery, but when I worked there as a blender, we didn't use ethanol in any gas except lower octane. Refineries in other areas may differ.

Recently I had to have a new carb installed on my pressure washer. The old one was completely full of corrosion. Strangely none of my other equipment has had a problem.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

knute wrote:
I try to fill up in North Dakota when I can where I can get straight gas,
C'mon down to Iowa.:waving: Most stations still offer 86 octane regular (usually 10 cents higher than E-10). I run non-ethanol regular with a light lacing of Seafoam and my '99 SE seems to like it. Consistent 42mpg until I sink the spurs...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.