Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Red and I have been to Europe once, in 2004, for eight weeks whileliving in a campervan. We rented a Silverwing and toured a little in the Alps -- Susten, Firka, Grimsel, Olberalp, and St. Goddard's passes -- but it wasn't enough. Gotta go back. "The Hills Are Alive.... With The Sound Of Motorcycles.....!" My apologies to Julie Andrews!

I've got the air fare tucked away, but I've gotta get a bike over there. So how do I do it? Ship a cheap one from here? Use it and then sell it, give it away, or abandon it before flying home? Try and buy one there, and sell it before we leave? Do an organized tour? Rent? Organized tours and renting are too expensive, I 'm sure....We need a cheap two-up bike for about eight weeks; we can only afford to go once more..... would like to ride from Spain to Nordcap, Norway, paying special attention to the Dolomites..........

So whatdo wedo, guys? Give me an idea here.......?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

You're a Prince, Geordie.... I've got you on file, and we are getting closer! One bike that we are considering is a pre-owned Honda Deauville 650. What's your opinion? They aren't even available here in the U.S...... but, we don't need style; we don't need blinding speed; we don't need super comfort.... we need cheap and we need reliable and we need an easy resale...... what do you think?

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
imported post

I may have a place you can rent from for reasonable right near the house

Or, through the base club, we might be able to locate a bike for you. Several of the guys here have 2. At least get me dates so I can burn some leave and join you.

As always, Stinky's home for wayward wingers is always open. Let me know how long you are coming and for what type of bike you want to ride. I will check on rates next week.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
imported post

Buying laws are a little different for me, but I would be willing to help how I could. My trick is I need to check with customs about the rules for you riding a bike licensed to me.

Just like gordie's offer, I will help however I can. I have room to store a bike and can watch "stars and stripes" to see if something comes up. check stripes.com and you can see their classifieds. I will also have my German budy help look around for something.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi cousin jack if you are thinking of buying a bike the honda devauille 650 would be a very good choice like the pan its a very good all rounder you have the paniers and if its not fitted you can get a top box for extra space it also has a good resale turnover last year 3 of us whent to france beaches of normandy tour and one guy had a devauille no prob keeping up with the wings worked a treat for him

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I hear tell that there's an Irishman around here who deals in motorcycles...

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

agnogel wrote:
hi cousin jack if you are thinking of buying a bike the honda devauille 650 would be a very good choice like the pan its a very good all rounder you have the paniers and if its not fitted you can get a top box for extra space it also has a good resale turnover last year 3 of us whent to france beaches of normandy tour and one guy had a devauille no prob keeping up with the wings worked a treat for him
Agnogel..... greatly appreciate your offers of help.... and those Normandy beaches....something aren't they? Red and I camped in the dark (campervan) at Omaha Beach campground. Next morning, a cloudy, dreary morning, I got up, found a footpath down to the beach, and hurried on. I stopped just off the sand of the beach, and found I was standing next to a German gun emplacement, with the gun still in it! Omaha.... what a sad, but glorious, place. We spent several days in Normandy, loved it..... Thanks again, Sandy and I are talking it over...... no time like the present, I'll will be in touch!

Stinky: Again, greatly appreciate your offers of help! Nice to have good friends, like the people on this forum...... Have you ever been to the Dolomites? Stay tuned....

MDKramer..... I couldn't tell from your last pm, are you and Gina delaying your Pacific Northwest Tour for another year, or just later in the year? We don't want any European plans to conflict with the great MD and Gina Pacific Tour ride!

:jumper:

I'm excited: Ireland, West coast of Scotland, Spain, Nordcap..... gotta be a way, gotta be!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Geordiemuppet wrote:
CJ,

The offer still stands - can help you buy, sell, store, whatever.

Geordie,

Switchout our avatar with this one...

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

cj---if you would just write that book of short storys and such , i`m sure you would not have any trouble buying an selling a bike or 2 , over there. yeah i`m getting inline too.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
cj---if you would just write that book of short storys and such , i`m sure you would not have any trouble buying an selling a bike or 2 , over there. yeah i`m getting inline too.
Funny you should bring that up, WDA......

At age 66, I have a "Bucket List" and here it is.... some of the things on there are a stretch, but some aren't!

Ye Olde Bucket List!

Bike

1. Ireland, West Coast of Scotland

2. Spain, Pyrenees, Dolomite, Norway, Nord Cap

3. Pan American Highway: Ellensburg to Tierra Del Fuego

Other

1. Publish a book

2. Take Sandy to Hawaii

3. Climb Rainier (again), McKinley, Agoncogqua

4. Visit Machu Picchu

5. Visit the Great Pryamid, Egypt

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

CJ, from the looks of it, I'm going to have to delay the trip around the NW until the spring of 2010 as Gina won't have enough vacation time built back up to make it in 09. That and she really wants to take just a week and go see her son in Charleston.

But we WILL make that trip.

By all means, tour Europe. You have the ability to do it, go for it!

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

You finally get around to doing that book, you better get a bunch stashed away there at your house.

I know about 5000 members of a certain forum that aren't going to buy theirs at Barnes and Nobles.

They are going to want to get it straight from the man after he has put his signature inside the front cover.

Heck that could even pay for a couple of your trips!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

CJ is finally writing the book!!??

Put me down for one.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
Geordie,

Whattzit with the avatar??

Looks really cool. The shamrock, Irish flag and the Scottish thistle all in one.

Where did it come from?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
You finally get around to doing that book, you better get a bunch stashed away there at your house.

I know about 5000 members of a certain forum that aren't going to buy theirs at Barnes and Nobles.

They are going to want to get it straight from the man after he has put his signature inside the front cover.

Heck that could even pay for a couple of your trips!
Put me down for 2! One to read, one to display! :)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

maplewingnut wrote:
UBarW wrote:
Geordie,

Looks really cool. The shamrock, Irish flag and the Scottish thistle all in one.

Where did it come from?
Designed by UbarW's fair hand I believe, it is the design to be used on the Tshirts for next year's Meet & Greet in Scotland, in May,as I understand.

CJ.... if I can help fulfill your Eurpopean dream, just shout. :waving:

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

maplewingnut wrote:
UBarW wrote:
Geordie,

Where did it come from?
Yes Foxy is correct.

UBarW has yet again come up with the design for the Meet N Greet T shirt.

Next year, the Meet n Greet will take place near Pitlochry in Scotland over Mayday weekend, hence the Thistle of Scotland over the top of the Shamrock and Tricolour of Steve's home.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thanks, Geordie........ I appreciate it. Those look like what we should have......

Right now, we are mulling whether to buy a Deuville there, or to "smuggle" an 1800, ride for a season or two, and then trustthat we are able to sellit when we leave.......

doin' our homework, thanks everyone.....

Mel and Sandy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.