Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For those of us on this side of the pond that want to buy Evans, there is a UK dealer. They are called Gearfox and their site is at; http://www.gearfox.co.uk/evans.html

[align=center]
[/align]

It's not cheap at £30 sterling plus shipping (I bought 2 gallons & a gallon of the Evans flushand shipping was £16 extra). I could have got it for $27 a gallon (about £20 sterling) from the USA but whopping shipping costs made it cheaper to buy from the UK. I got the NPG+ and spent the morning flushing the old coolant out. I had new hoses and a water pump in late last year (also new head gaskets) so I'm confident the system is sound.

Observations;
Eh, well it's too early to say too much. I let the bike run for 30 minutes and I did notice that the hoses are still flexible (they don't get as hard as with normal coolant), so the claims of lower pressure build-up seem to bear out. The temp gauge is just a bit lower on the scale than usual after 30 minutes and the fan took a full 10 minutes longer to come on and it shuts off quicker too.
I will keep ya'll posted on any developments. :skipping:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200,

Did youput in alow pressure cap? I was also wondering about how/if you sealed the overflow tank to keep moisture out? I'm still considering the switch!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Bob, I didn't change the cap yet as I don't know of a lower psi cap that will fit the 1200. If anyone does know I'd be glad to hear about it thanks. I'm not sure if keeping moisture out of the bottle would be a big issue either, what I did was I filled the bottle up about 40% more than usual to reduce the amount of air in it (less moisture) while still leaving plenty of room for expansion. I marked the bottle beforehand to see how much the level rises when hot and made sure there is enough room after I changed the coolant.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Gearfox aren't the easiest people in the world to deal with. I;m going to give the Evans npg+ a try myself on my Wings. I'm calling up to Gearfox this coming week to get severl gallons fo the stuff and I'll let you know how I get on as well. It;s good to read about someone that actually used the stuff here, thanks Eamonn. It's my GL1800 in particular that I want to use the Evans, I reckon that the 1800 needs all the help it can get in the cooling department.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings folks.

I made the conversion to Evans a couple of months ago and the bike seems to like it.

I have an '83 Interstate and I put a 4lb cap on it. I got it from O'Reilly's. It's built by Murray and the part #'s are 7004, 10208. I don't know if this will help you guys but I thoughtI'd throw it in.This is to put a little pressure on the system to keep things seated.

I too filled the overflow tank to about 1/2 full and when the bike is as hot as it gets, the tank is only up to full. To keep moisture out of the system, I cut the overflow tube off about 6-7inches from the filler cap and attached a punch ball balloon like the kids like to beat about. (I attached it when the bike was completely cold) I put this on the right side of the faux tank in a nest of foam. When the bike is as hot as it will get, I noticed very little inflation of the balloon(bladder) For bladder or worse, so far everything is working great. By sealing the system like this, I won't get any migration of water into the system at all. I'm going to contact Evans and see if the boiling point raises with the little extra pressure.

I have ridden in 90+F. weather several times in traffic, and even though the fan will kick on, I haven't seen any indication of overheating. The needle on my gauge just gets a little to the right of dead center.

I talked to a guy who's cooling fan quit on him a long ways from home in really hot weather and he said Evans saved him from having to quit since the boil-over temp is 375deg F. in a no pressure system. He experienced no adverse problems and was able to return home without interuption.

Sorry for my windy addition to your thread but I thought it might add a little hands-on experience.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hobie,
Do ya have a link to O'Reillys please? I think I'll go this route myself. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

First of all, you're welcome, AZwinger.

BRowan, unfortunately the O'Reily's Parts store chain seems to be basically located in the central part of the U.S.

What you can do, is take your original cap # or preferably the cap itself to a Auto parts store and cross reference it to a lower pressure cap. That's what I had to do and it took me a little bit of searching to find one that fits. Then, when I put the first replacement low pressure cap on, it leaked. Seem's when it was built, they forgot to install the sealing washer in the cap.

You can go ahead and run your stock cap by the way. You just don't get the added benefit of running under reduced pressure and taking some of the strain of your cooling system. Or, you can actually turn your cap into a zero pressure cap by pulling a pin or something in the cap. I don't actually have any experience with that so you're on your own.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I have been running Evans + for over a year in my 1500, and haven't had a hint of problems. I cut off the silver pressure tab on the rad cap as per Evan's and run zero pressure. Been in the Desert pulling a trailer in 120 F. temps with no problem. I keep the over flow at the normal level, use to even carry spare fluid, just in case. Don't even bother anymore, never had to add a drop. Change it and forget it.:goofygrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.