Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have read the threads on Evans coolant. I have read that on GL 1200's it may not be effective because of the size of the radiator. Getting ready to "winterize" and need to flush and replace. Any comments from wingers with 1200's who have used the prep and the coolant. Also, is there a short cut to changing it or does the seat, Faux tank and right side fairing have to come off. What was Honda thinking???

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

I haven't used but I know others have with success. As far as getting the radiator cap off, I don't think you have remove the right side fairing but the faux tank does need to come off.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks Gary! My Grandkids live in Round Rock. Very nice area and the BBQ is Excellent!!! Salt Lick in particular.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

if this is the 1200 you can reach the rad cap from the hole in front of the tank cover going in by the steering neck. should be easy to reach in there and get it off?:shock:

you'll have to use a long neck funnel to put your coolant back in.:action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I believe Hobie1 was the first on the forum to post about Evans coolant. He's very positive on it's value. He rides an 1100 which isn't enough different than the 1200 to indicate there'd be any problem. Give him a PM and I'm sure he'll be happy to give you the dope on the stuff. If you can get the cap off the radiator without taking the top cover off congratulations. I couldn't do it on my 1200 SEi, but the it had a few more electrical cables in the way.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,332 Posts
imported post

You can get the cap off a GL12 without pulling the tank cover, but then you can't replace it. :cooldevil:

Really, I think it's just easier to remove the cover, but the LTD has a lot of crap that makes it more difficult.

Don't you have to go under there to test for your stalling problem anyway?

As far as coolant goes, just run down to your local Honda car dealer...cheaper than the bike shop.

And one more thing...winterize? In SanDiego? :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i've had mine off and on at least 4 times and i have never had a problem getting it off or on. although it is a tight fit. the overflow tube is what took me so long.:shock: mine is an aspy and i have no problems. san where and your what?

i see alpine now thaty's up in the mountians right?:?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

if you turn the bars all the way to the left and pop off the right rubber filler you can get to the radiator cap. ON a 84 anyway. JB

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I was being a smart ass when I said "winterizing". Got your attention though! Yes Alpine is 30 miles east of San Diego in the foothills. I have decided to remove the seat and faux tank and to do the coolant and track down the stalling problem. I don't want to dump coolant all over my pretty gold paint and might as well do it right. After all it is supposed to be back in the low 90's Saturday. Great time for WINTERIZING!!! HA HA! I do miss the seasons having grown up in the Midwest.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Yep, Evans seems to be pretty good stuff. Supposed to be a lifetime coolant. I'm on my 4'th year of the same Evans and it's seems to be performing well. I'm going to get Evans to test a sample out of my cooling system when I put the bike up for the winter. When I do, I'll share the results, good or bad.

Hobie

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I like Evans, had it in my 1500 a couple of years back and never had an overheating problem. The only worry is if my cooling system ever pops a leak on a ride, I doubt if any of the garages I see ever heard of Evans. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I run a 4lb cap on my bike. That way, if it does spring a leak, it'll be more of a trickle than a stream. If you do have problems on the road, the solution is simple. Fix the problem and re-fill with regular coolant. Yes, you'll have to redo the system to put Evans back in when you get home, but it's not a show-stopper. I like the fact that it doesn't boil until 375 deg F. with no pressure on the system. No worry about that nasty steam par-boiling your leg or other nether regions.

:D

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Thanks for the input. I will be picking up the prep and coolant tomorrow after work.

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,708 Posts
imported post

All I did on my 85 LTD was turn the bars all the way to the left. Reach in on right side and push down andgently turn the cap to the left. Tight squeeze but it can be done without removing anything. I uysed the Honda coolant also. Silicate free.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Great news!!!!!!!!! I will take care of it Saturday. Thanks

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

[align=center]What about this stuff[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]

[/align]

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Run what you feel comfortable using. I have used Evans NPG+ for the last 4 years with no issues. It's up to you, the owner, to make the decision.

Yes, you can buy OEM Honda coolant 50/50 blend and you'll be OK. Who makes Honda coolant? Who knows? Lowest bidder perhaps?

Anyway, no problems here. Have a great one folks.:waving:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Time it takes to read these post you could have 'em off. Keep channel locks on hand to reach in and break that cap loose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.