Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When you thought the world was at yer feet just to be jack slapped back to reality.

:(I went out today and stopped by Oreiley's to order some timing belts for the OLD Wing. They came a tad over 50 bucks , not to bad considerin the price of genuine Honda parts. I then decided to ride a longer loop back home since it was not cold and that weather is on the way again. , So I rode down a few miles and then decided I would like to have a fresh bag of pop corn and a small glass bottle coke . Went by the magizine stand and purchased the items , sat on a bench and enjoyed the corn and pop.

Then I decided to come on home and pull the faring and lower mounts off for the belts when they come in. I started down the road and about the 3rd mile I pulled in the clutch to downshift at a red light and , well you guessed it the old clutch cable broke right at the ball.

downshifted with out the clutch and found neutral , when the light changed I dogpaddled swiftly down the street and clicked it in 1st gear and speed shifted it taking care to slow down well before stop lights could catch me . I only was caught 1 other time. Looks like I will be adding the cable change to the list of must do's . timing , belts , front fork seals, new shocks , passenger seat , saddlebag/ rear carrier ,/ sissybar mount. oh yeah oil and filter change .

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I had the pleasure of riding my 1100 Standard in suburban traffic for about 7 miles without an intact clutch cable. I was able to make it home without having to come to a complete stop. I did have to make some tight circles just short of a traffic light for a short bit. You can get pretty good at judging when a traffic light will go green and adjust your speed for it in just a few miles.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Truth be known Gitur, I read the first couple sentences, and was all set for you to say that you took off and one of your old timing belts snapped, resulting in a piston hammering a valve so hard that it drove the stem through the top of the valve cover.

Now if that doesn't put the snapped clutch cable into it's proper perspective, nothing will :D

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Truth be known Gitur, I read the first couple sentences, and was all set for you to say that you took off and one of your old timing belts snapped, resulting in a piston hammering a valve so hard that it drove the stem through the top of the valve cover.

Now if that doesn't put the snapped clutch cable into it's proper perspective, nothing will :D
I was expecting the self same thing Mike, I was almost cringing at what I was about to read.

I was actually relieved to hear it was just one of your nipples that had broken off giturgun!!!:shock::)

I am sure the clutch cable will be the least of the jobs to do, since even I have had to change one of those in the past!!!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you dodged a bullet to me! Home safe is a good thing. This little set back will make the rest of this year's riding season more enjoyable and reliable!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Yeah I've had a clutch cable go on a bandit600 a few years ago while I was en route to the guy that was buying it from me .Luckily I had a buddy with me in a car an he went off and got me a new one.Fastest cable change you ever heardof.

By the way Silverfox I would expect a little more sympathy for a nipplesnapping off, even if it was just the one:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Trust me Midwing, I have every sympathy for anyone with broken nipples, having suffered one myself.

I was lucky when mine happened I was rescued by a girl on a small motorbike who took me to a shop to get one. Kind of my damsel on her white charger, ended up being my girlfriend for a good while.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Even with your broken nipples ?? Thats love that is !

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Snapped my nipple :)P) on my '81 at the KOA at Devils Tower, Wyoming! No spare on the bike! Only 100,000 miles on the cable! Don't make 'em like they used to, hey? Ever try and buy a clutch cable for a fourteen year old bike in Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho on a Saturday morning? "We can have one, sure.... in about 3 or 4 days!" We were outa time and money, and so we made a loop of what's left, threaded it through the spark plug wrench, and Red pulled it up from behind! "In," I'd yell..... "Got it," she'd yell back...... I'd shift and say, "Out.....!" And down the road we went.... in an out...... all the way home!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I have the luxury of being an ex motorcycle mechanic. Best friend I have ever had owns the shop I worked and still trade at . He just happens to really be into the older Honda , actually all Jap , British bikes are his passion. I had a drive universal go out last summer and called him up . He said come on down and we will round one up . Just so happens he had a parted out parked in a garage while the house burnt bike . Had only 8000 plus miles on it . When I got the joint I swear it looked like it had just come from Honda. No wear and still shiny and new looking. Only wanted 80 bucks , i hurt me arm getting out the billfold.:leprechaun:

I took the old parts out one day , Picked up the new joint and replaced it the next . I was down 2 days that time. :D

Believe it ornot I stopped by his shop on a 1974 750 chopper to get a chain in 1979 , Henry didn't have the heavy duty o ring model so He ordered it and called when it came in . I was on the way to pick it up , stopped for gas . Seems like lofting the front wheel was not a good idea that day . I pulled it up in 1st dropped it down and when I dropped the clutch in 2nd it snapped the chain . Wrapped it around the front sprocket and busted the top and bottom engine case. I called Henry , he came out and picked it up , He hired me about 1 week later . I helped him do the work on fixing the cases and I guess he liked the show. :action:

Maby he needed a clown to hang around . :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Snapped my nipple :)P) on my '81 at the KOA at Devils Tower, Wyoming! No spare on the bike! Only 100,000 miles on the cable! Don't make 'em like they used to, hey? Ever try and buy a clutch cable for a fourteen year old bike in Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho on a Saturday morning? "We can have one, sure.... in about 3 or 4 days!" We were outa time and money, and so we made a loop of what's left, threaded it through the spark plug wrench, and Red pulled it up from behind! "In," I'd yell..... "Got it," she'd yell back...... I'd shift and say, "Out.....!" And down the road we went.... in an out...... all the way home!
Ever try and buy a clutch cable for a fourteen year old bike in Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho on a Saturday morning?

Yup. Boise Cycle Salvage! (Now Boise Vintage Cycle) I snapped my cable while waiting to turn left into the parking lot. I was there to try to get a new seat. They hada clutch cableOEM still in the bag! (This is why I don't buy lottery tickets. I need that luck just to get through the day!)

And down the road we went.... in an out...... all the way home!

You lucky dog! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.