Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife and I are planning a trip to Germany within a year. I found a company that rents Goldwings. Have any of you ridden around in Germany before? How are the roads, traffic, other drivers, respect or lack of for motorcyclists, etc.?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Ernest! We have a member, Classico from Aachen, Germany. Go to the members button at the top of the page look him up and PM (private message) him. I'm sure he will be happy to give you the full scoop!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Ernest wrote:
My wife and I are planning a trip to Germany within a year. I found a company that rents Goldwings. Have any of you ridden around in Germany before? How are the roads, traffic, other drivers, respect or lack of for motorcyclists, etc.?
Yep,lived there for 12 years. The roads are better, the drivers more predictable, and they have much more respect for motorcycles. They don't tolerate idiots very well however. For example, don't block the passing lane on the freeway! Know who has the right of way.

Know the laws before you go, and know what the signs mean. Pretty simple really, but it's a different type of driving. Bring your rain gear.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Ernest, no I have never been there, but I do know a couple of useful tips.

1) They tend to speak German.

2) They have taken the wall down in the garden.

3) Don't mention the war. ( John Cleese fans will appreciate that!!)

4) Germany is very close to England, so why no mention of visiting us???)

5) ( and this is the only useful tip) there is a 40mph speed limit if you tow a trailer with a bike, so they are best left behind.

I am sure you will have a lovely time, and I am sure you will get more senible advice from others. I am green with envy that you are going there. Hope the weather is kind to you.

Pete

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Lived in Germany for four years back in the late 80's - they dont too many roundabouts and where they were you had to give way to those coming on to the roundabout. Where there is a posted speed on the autobahn (and anywhere else come to that) stick to the speed limits. Also if the law does stop you dont argue just accept what they give you and wave them goodbye nicely LOL. I had a discussion with one officer with the fine being 60 marks I actually ended up paying 180 marks LOL me and my big mouth.

terrific place to visit and watch that beer m8 its wonderful
Rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Ernest wrote:
We have a member who lives there ask him!

"Classico" name is "Arno" send him a PM!

While you're there visit him!

I was there, but many moons ago, things have changed!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Ernest,
I drove in Germany a couple of years ago. One thing that helped me was some enlarged maps I made by scanning the map and printing out at twice size (or more). Or you could enlarge it on a copier.
I found locating road names easier to find. I made a couple of copies so I could mark my route on them.
Another thing. Roads are not marked with compass directions (North, South). The road signs point to the next town.
Here is where my problem started. I departed from a small town heading to a larger city. The signs pointed me the right way. On the way back, the signs didn't have the town I was staying at. With the winding 2 lane roads, I was feeling quite lost, not being sure what direction I was heading. (I did find my way back.)
I was traveling by myself. Your wife will make a good co-pilot, watching the signs and reading the map.
Also, watch your speed. They use speed cameras there. The Germans call them "flashguns".
If you travel thru the small villages, you may have trouble finding people who speak English.
Dont' forget to take a digital camera and plenty of memory cards!
HAVE FUN!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.