Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to replace the flooring in my kitchen. It has 3 layers of linoleum, very well glued down. The first I took up didn't seem so bad but the farther I go the tougher it gets. In 2 hours I have taken up a strip about 3'x12', Have about 1 1/2 times that to go.

·
Administrator
57,944 Posts
yeah,
I bit into that once, a 2400 sq ft house, decided that I would replace all of the floor tile.
at first, it was sort of easy. concrete was smooth in the living room....
then I realized that the Wavy edge tile I chose, was a super colossal failure in choices.

300 sq ft already pasted to the concrete, tile all paid for in advance, a special order, no refund.
2 years or so later, it was all done. did not enjoy that at all.

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might try a little heat. Warm up a section then beat it into submission with a scraper.
I was about to the point of setting it on fire. It would take a long time to get any heat to the bottom layer in a very big area. I made a scraper with a handle about 4' long to keep from being on my knees, it helps but still a hard job.

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
68 Posts
Floor looks great. FYI , rental stores have a power scraper that looks a lot like a large floor drum sander, but instead of a abrasive drum, it has a set of blades much like a jointer. It takes about an 18" swath. and is as heavy as house. Works well, but noisy and messy.

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Floor looks great. FYI , rental stores have a power scraper that looks a lot like a large floor drum sander, but instead of a abrasive drum, it has a set of blades much like a jointer. It takes about an 18" swath. and is as heavy as house. Works well, but noisy and messy.
I bet that would be messy.

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They do make power scrapers just for tile and carpet removal. You should be able to find one at a rental place.
Since I already have the floor done I'm not in the market for another tool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts