Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had a funny thing happen with my 2000 1500. I went to start it and the starter motor kicked in for a second, then the whole bike just lost all electrical power. No lights or anything. All I did to fix the problem was disconnect the battery and connect it back up. Bike works fine now. This has happened twice in the 5 years I have had it. Any thoughts on what is going on?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Had you used reverse when you parked it? If so might be out of adjustment or not out completely.
Main fuse?

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Hey make sure check the battery with a load test. Mine did the same thing but I had a few other problems. As time transpired I checked the battery again and it was a goner. Would get the dash lights on but as soon as I hit the key..Nada.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Often can be oxidation at the battery connections (as mentioned with main fuse) not all the way gone, but when they get hot, stuff can open up. You may have restoresd it by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery (I'm assuming ground) , but it may be worth a few seconds to assure that the positive terminal is also happy.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

No, I hadn't used reverse, just pulled straight into my garage. Battery is only 1 year old. The other time it did this was with the old battery. I think I'll take a look at fuses.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Satan's suggestion is my thought also. Sounds like a bad connection at one of the battery posts caused by corrosion between the cable and battery post. Might want to get a battery brush like this one to clean the terminals. One of the brushes fits over the post and cleans it... the other one fits inside the cable end and cleans it up. They are cheap and work well. You can get them at most any auto parts store or online.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Satan's suggestion is my thought also. Sounds like a bad connection at one of the battery posts caused by corrosion between the cable and battery post. Might want to get a battery brush like this one to clean the terminals. One of the brushes fits over the post and cleans it... the other one fits inside the cable end and cleans it up. They are cheap and work well. You can get them at most any auto parts store or online.

That won't fit over the posts on M/C battery.
Sand paper

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

On my 1500, it was a bad alternator. The new battery would recover if it sat, but after a ride to the store, nuttin'. If all connections are good to go, and battery is KNOWN good, I'd suspect the rectifier diodes or windings in the alternator. The windings are "crimped" and the crimps get loose, causing intermittant charging of various rates, which eventually will fry the diodes. It's common with the Chinese Hitatchi alts. . jimsjinx

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Oddy wrote:
...All I did to fix the problem was disconnect the battery and connect it back up...
> I'd suspect that something is Physically Loose, and that you Moved it while tinkering with the battery terminals.

> Ditto on verifying that the battery terminals are clean, fully-seated against the posts, and tightly mounted.
> Also check that the Main Fuse (located in front of battery) is also clean, unbroken, and tightly mounted... Actually remove the fuse and verify that it's not cracked (as has been known to happen).

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
That won't fit over the posts on M/C battery.
Sand paper
You are correct newday! Had a little brain fade there. Works fine on auto batteries though. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Bellboy, I love that color green in your avitar. Nice! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Losing All power after a heavy load on the battery ( while attempting start ) sounds like either bad primary wire connections at the bat. or ground etc.
Or a possible internally shorted battery , this condition will show 12v at the bat. and power the lights etc. but as soon as a heavy load is presented to the bat. as in attempting to start , the bat. will instantly go tottaly flat with 0 voltage . Can be a real head scratcher and has happened to me more than once.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Bellboy, I love that color green in your avitar. Nice! jimsjinx
Thanks Jim, I didn't particularly like the color when I first saw it but I got such a good deal on the bike I couldn't pass it up. Now that I have had it a while and cleaned it up and added a little bling, I really like it. Here is a bigger picture.

94 GL1500SE Burmuda Green Pearl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.