Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

How many are current /former 2 stroke addicts?

• Im a confirmed 2 stroke nut!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I dont like inhaling clouds of 2 stroke oil!

• Whats a 2 stroke?

• My Goldwing smokes like a 2 stroke

• 2 strokes are destroying the planet

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've owned a couple two stroke bikes in the 60's and flown behind several different 2 stroke UL engines. Not to mention hundreds of hours in front of 2 stroke outboards. Lots of time with chainsaws too. Not to forget lots of model airplane engines in the 50s. Never had a problem with 2 strokes. Most are very reliable when operated properly and have a great power to weight ratio. Simplicity and few moving parts are great too. To me main drawback is heavy fuel burn. Most 2 strokes are partially fuel cooled. They also tend to be a bit peaky. I do remember a Bultaco I rode in 1964 or '65, I think it was a Pursang. 250cc's of pure adrenaline. I think the bike was only around 175lbs and I was even less then. In 1967 I had a modified Yamaha snowmachine that could top 90mph. The factory in Japan sent me parts, mostly bogey wheels to test in local races in NW Alaska. That was the first oil injected 2 stroke I ever saw. Learned a bit cutting and welding to tune the exhaust system volume and lengths for performance.

On the other hand I sure love the smooth, quiet power of the Honda!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

One of the favourite bikes I've ever owned was a Yamaha RD250LC. Its its day it was a little rocket ship.

I put Yoshi single ring pistons in, rebore to 305cc, alloy cons, roller bearings both end, ground crank, ground head. Oh the things you do when you are a boy!!

The only thing I've ridden since that even compares is a 250cc 4 cylinder Yamaha.

For pure peaky thrill theres nothing quite like a 2 stroke in the power band.

Andrew

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I took the 3 wheeler to a race track and tried jumping, thought I was gonna eat the handlebars! :shock:Thats what 20 years and 40 pounds does!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.