Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey gang, has anyone thought of putting a short pipe in place between the header pipe and the muffler pipe instead of the exhaust chamber or all that pipe in the torque master version...look at my pick....tell me what you think ...good or bad...DOC

Attachments

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

I've seen a couple of 1500s where the owners cut out rotted collector boxes and fitted a straight pipe across from side to side.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

J Wayne wrote:
I've seen a couple of 1500s where the owners cut out rotted collector boxes and fitted a straight pipe across from side to side.
I wonder how that worked out..like sound, back pressure,performance ?????

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

JWayne wrote:
So it's not true duals just replacing center box to tie the 2 sides together?

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

anyone else Bueller, Bueller ????????????

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

my guess as to what Honda was doing with the collector box was the same thing us cage hot rodders do for a small gain in torque and to help quiet the exhaust is to make a H pipe. The is just connecting the right side exhaust with the left side exhaust with a pipe going from one to the other. Most newer styles bring both pipes together in an X shape.

I have never seen Honda's collector but my money is that they are simply making a cross over in the collector.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

I recall that the purpose of the collector box was to allow for the expansion of the exhaust gases in its interior. Whether it was for performance, driveability, emission reduction or sound I haven't a clue. Would like to know the true reason for it.

JD

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

emission reduction or sound

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

The collector box Internals are basically a baffle in its self which kept the exhaust from going into to lean as well as producing torque, mufflers are just that Muffles sound but also affects the lean and torque so you can run straight pipes if you wish from the collector box .because it already has a baffling in it. and will have more sound but not that loud obnoxious sound that straight pipes off headers make and that leads to burnt valves. but some think loud is cool go figure.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Perhaps somewhat a horse of a different colour ..........but yet still a horse, I removed the collector from my Shadow 750 when I installed my Harley Sportster pipes.....sounds great, run's great, no retuning :waving::action::action::action:

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

well this is why I asked .Bcause The Torque Master ,exhaust chamber,replacement pipes are not connected. if they claim the pipesproduce more torque and power, then a connectionbetween right and left sides has nothing to do with torque. because they are not connected.

I wonder if the custom bending of the TM pipes (that just so happens to fit in the same space as the exhaust chamber ) does produce more torque and power. if that is the case then a small pipe straight from the header pipe to the muffler would not produce torque.

But if just by removing the OEM exhaust chamber produces more torque and power ( and sound ) then a small pipe from the header pipe to the muffler (as in my original postdrawing ) [shadow=red]would produce more torque and power[/shadow] does anyone know if the OEM exhaust chamber connects the right and left sides ????

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Exhaust gases from the left and right headers are mixed together in the collector box.

JD

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
Exhaust gases from the left and right headers are mixed together in the collector box.

JD

JD, Mixed , For what purpose though ?:wtf:

I now revert back to my post before yours.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

My understanding is to balanche epressures due to different shaped pipes on each side:?:?

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

96 aspencade wrote:
My understanding is to balance pressures due to different shaped pipes on each side:?:?
you mean equalize the pressure ? I think there is more to it.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Do you mean more pressure ?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Mixed as in an open design, which can be confirmed by covering one tailpipe while idling. No back pressure.

JD

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

As mentioned, the OEM resonator allows for expansion of the exhaust as well as allowing the outlet pressures to be shared across both exhaust pipes. Since the 1500 is a very even-firing engine, this allows the exhaust velocity in each pipe to be slower and more stable (again, as mentioned above, you can completely close off one of the exhaust pipes and notice that all your exhaust will flow from the other side at 2X volume and increased velocity).

I've not been able to confirm this in research, but I would suspect that the Honda Engineering team worked the design of the OEM chamber to work as a Helmholtz resonator, which would actually help evacuate the headers more efficiently than venting direct to atmosphere.

While discussing the TorqMonster pipes, it's been mentioned that they do not provide a cross-over connection. The competitive pipe-set, "Xtractor" from MBL Innovation does provide this cross over and also includes an over-all longer exhaust path. I don't have a dyno, time, or the cash required to graph and compare these two systems on equal footing, but I can say that there are Dyno graphs that show the Xtractor producing better low-end torque than the TorqueMonster pipe-set, which, (as noted above) is what is found commonly in the automotive Hot Rod after market where cross-overs are more common place and used as an aid for low-end torque.

From personal experience (having installed both on a few bikes), I prefer the Xtractor for the sound quality (I'm assuming from the reduced exhaust velocity in the crossed-over system); the TorqMonster set seems a bit more "harsh" in tone (more high frequency that is not attenuated). Also, I believe (seat of the pants only) that the Xtractor does provide a little more "oomph" near the top of the tach... having run a newly installed TorqMonster'd 1500 side-by-side up the hills with a 1500 fitted with the Xtractor (in fairness, I couldn't tell you much about the differences in maintenance and tuning on either bike, so this could have just been clean plugs and airfliters talking)...

Fitting the short pipe from the OP is doable; the bends are uncomfortable to form without cutting and welding. You will see the doubled (or more) velocity outta the pipes, so expect higher pitch and more heat in the mufflers themselves. Totally my opinion here, but I believe that the shorter pipe will not act to add any poiwer, and you may find reduced torque and reduced higher RPM performance as the bike acts to push exhaust through the GL's fairly restrictive pipes (when taken singly - this is prolly why these manufacturers advocate the use of their pipes, which should flow more freely)

To install these pipe without cutting the OEM resonator, you will want to have 3 of the header-to-head exhaust gaskets on hand. Removing the right side's header pipe from the head will be required (should be covered in the instructions for both of the aftermarket pipe-sets mentioned as well as in the FSM for resonator removal for the 1500)

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

DOC1500 wrote:
DriverRider wrote:

JD

JD, Mixed , For what purpose though ?:wtf:

I now revert back to my post before yours.
The crossing of exhaust creates a pull from each side crossing each otherto further aid in the exhaust dump Breath . with out the cross connection. or with no connection I should say the ehxaust has to depend on its own pressure to dump its self Less breath out.

The bends are to create back pressure and Torque.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.