Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:X I'm getting some really nasty start up fumes.. Surging in the idle till warm up temp. 2000 1500 gl 31000 miles.. Changed the air and fuel filters.. Any Ideas?? I am a new rider this year and have the dvds and am wondering before I attempt to do it, if it is the carb out of synce? can it be anything else as I don't have the tool to do the synce ?? Please respond to [email protected] thanks for the help in advance.. I wonder if anyone in the Morris area has a tool and wouldn't mind taking me through it?

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

I am going to move this to the technical forum so that you may get more visibility and help that you need for this issue.

Again, Welcome Aboard!!
:action:

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

HI JUSTARIDER:

This might help.... Contact Marty:217-348-1525

Helives near you in IL. He made a slicksimplecarb sync tool for a couple of bucks. Am going to make one for meself! TTFN. .....Old Tom

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

I think you are going to find the problem to be vacuum leaks. Carb synch is a cure all, it may help if the engine is stumbling and rough from idle to about 1/4 throttle.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
imported post

I have a 99 1500 SE with about the same milage. I have both of the same issues. In talking to my mechanic who has worked on Goldwings for over 25 years he told me that both issues are common and not to worry about it. I found that the surging happens more when I shut the choke off too soon. If I tweak it down a little at a time there are no surging issues. The bike runs great so I'm gonna leave it alone.

Happy Trails

Slim

G

·
imported post

What dave said.
Mine was doin the same thing.
Changed numerous vent lines and now it runs like a brand new one.
Good luck and welcome from mississippi.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks all for your kind words and wisdom... It was a matter of draining the crankshaft breather hose found on the lower left side... I drained them both right into a can and put back the plugs.... Really noticably better now and I recommend everyone else do the same.. It is part of the regular maintenance that I didnt know about.. Happy miles.. Harry

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thanks for the invite.. I stayed in Mercer Pa. last year at the KOA going through to Ct. Really clean and comfortable town to visit.. Have a great Mile..

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

HMMMMMMMMMMM I wonder if I have a crankshaft breather hose drain??????????????

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

You do if you ride a 2k goldwing... Probably other years too.. Its behind the lower left cover... It looks like a clear (although black when full) plastic tube with a black plug on the bottom held in with a (pliers style) hose clamp. Pull the clamp up and out of the way, unplug by twisting the plug cap on the bottom straight off and drain the nasty... One tube will have a small amount of water nasty in it, the other will be full, depending on how many miles you have or if ever emptied... I noticed a TREMENDOUS change for the better in not only the fumes going away, but the engines proformance is NEW again... Have a great mile..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.