Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:cooldevil:hey everybody

im looking for help to find some louder exhaust pipes for my wing. It is an 83interstate gl1100 and the reason im looking for louder is because i have had people pull out in front of me on it cuz they can't hear (or don't see) me the stock are nice but i want a little more noise as i go through town not to draw attention but to alert people in those 4 wheel cages that , im there also. any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks .......

:cooldevil::11black::cooler:HY

[suB][suP][/suP][/suB]

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

What you need is a headlight modulator, and other stuff for the front of the bike. If cagers pull out in front of you, how are loud pipes facing the rear going to help? It's always louder going away than coming towards.

And this probably belongs on the tech side of the board.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I agree with Silicon Sam. The only thing louder pipes do is piss people off and give motorcyclists a bad rap... they'llWANT to pull out in front of you!Loud pipescertainly won't save your bacon at an intersection... think about it, your pipes face backwards away from the car, the car is insulated from outside noise, and the driver is probably yapping on the cellphone.

The only way they'll know you're there is if they see you. They're more likely to see you if you have bright lights facing their way (maybe pulsating lights), and you wear brightly colored clothing and maybe a white helmet. If you have an image problem with this then you're increasing your chances of getting into an accident.

If you haven't already done so, take a motorcycle safety course... they will teach you strategies for staying out of trouble.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Perhaps this is just a cry of anger, at having been pulled out on, too often!!

Whichever it is, what about fitting the biggest mother air horns you can find!! These will wake the blind drivers up!!:cooldevil::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

"Jardin" makes nice looking exhaust for your bike not cheap $440 to $500! Item #(J10200)

"Old Bike Barn.com" may have them, still?

I have seen guys modify "Harley exhaust" to fit, a little work to do that?!

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam is right. Loud pipes ain't gonna do it. Pulsating lights, air horns, defensive driving will help you more than loud pipes. If you must really want to damage your hearing, go to your local auto parts store, get 2 ea. 2"x24 inch chrome straight pipes, cut off your mufflers and clamp the straight pipes on. Not only will it sound like a Harley, you'll realy impress your friends who live next door or on your street.;)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Glester, I can't believe you told him to do that, shame on you !!:goofygrin:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Glester, I can't believe you told him to do that, shame on you !!:goofygrin:
Wingdawg, in a way it was a sarcastic joke ok? I would hope no one would desecrate a Wing by making it loud!:shock:

BTW I'm dulley ashamed!:p

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::bash:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The guys are telling you right. Ask some Harley riders if they haven't been cut off by oblivious cagers. Headlight modulators, brake light modulators and air horns all help. Personally I really like my dual air horns. Had a semi start to pull into my lane on the freeway once and a blast of the air horn really got his attention. If a guy in a big rig can hear you the damn cars drivers sure will!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

I like the fact that I have a quiet ride. I can hear the stereo better and my ears don't ring with exhaust pipes after I ride.

It may sound like a sewing machine, but it's a pissed off sewing machine...

Ruaidh

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Maybe one could get both effects by installing cutouts in front of the muffler. That way you could be a nice neighbor and obnoxious as the mood struck.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

If you still want to make it a little louder, try removing the baffles. Drillout the one rivet and lightly tap around the exterior of the exhaust pipe. Then with vise grips or slide hammer slide the baffles out. I removed mine and like the sound. It's not a lot louder, but it isa little louder.

Billy

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The guys are telling you right. Ask some Harley riders if they haven't been cut off by oblivious cagers. Headlight modulators, brake light modulators and air horns all help. Personally I really like my dual air horns. Had a semi start to pull into my lane on the freeway once and a blast of the air horn really got his attention. If a guy in a big rig can hear you the damn cars drivers sure will!
I like the air horn idea too, the PO put a set of car horns on my 1200, they are loud, If it looks like someone is going to pull out I beep the horn!, when traffic gets that way I'm usually riding with my finger on the button. I used to watch inside the cars to tell if someone was going to do something stupid! But now I tend to watch thier wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.