Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1984 Interstate. Has anyone every tried drilling some holes in the end of the exhaust pipes for a little extra sound, and hopefully extra performance?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

I Haven't. I was going to try but i like the way it sounds stock. you could drill them and tell us how it sounds, i've heard a 1200 without baffles and i didn't like the sound.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,330 Posts
imported post

It may actually hurt the performance. At any rate I doubt there would be any noticable change, either way.

I for one am against increasing the sound level on any motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

was thinking about small holes, to relieve some of the pressure, but not enough to make a lot of exhaust sound.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Just a thought but I just put a set of 2007 HD "Dekker" pipes on my 1500, they are available off new bikes for less than $100.00, just a little adapter pipe needed for mine. Nice soft mellow tone, run's like a kitten & look good.:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i've had those holes on the back plate on many bikes and there are any problems at all. no power improvement cuz there is no great loss of back pressure. but the sound improves a bit. go ahead and drill them, then tell us how it sounds! cuz i might do the same :p

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

now, I don't suppose you could calibrate these holes to whistle in the near ultra-sonic area could ya?? Something to ward off dogs and deer? :D

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
It may actually hurt the performance. At any rate I doubt there would be any noticable change, either way.

I for one am against increasing the sound level on any motorcycle.
If there is enough of a pressure change due to the amount and diameter of the holes, I would expect the torque curve to raise.

Not meaning more torque, but higher in the RPM range. The amount of available torque may lessen.

Once the "sound" is found that you like, I would think about recalibrating the carbs to the new exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i used a set of electra glide pipes on my trike project. they sounded really good mellow and it did pick up in acel. i actually had to change out the car muffs i had on it way to loud and a big difference in take off it would scream. i like loud but it would hurt your ears in the garage. sounded like a crouch rocket. but the harley pipes where just right. and 20 bucks off craigs list.:action: the perfomance was unbelieveably better with the louder pipes and you could notice it with the harley pipes and i did nothing to the carbs. i didknock the plugs out of the harley pipes:shock:

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

so isn't it possible to remove the baffles from the stock Goldwing pipes? then put some kind of restriction inside, so that they aren't too loud?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

yes you can remove the baffles and you can make an insert and drill holes in it until you get the desired results that way if you don't like you can reinstall them. my brother in law is running without baffles in his 1100 hundred and it sounds pretty good. course i have a harley also and i like loud:action:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

To a certain point, less restriction would give more power. Also a less restrictive air cleaner would help too. Unfortunately, this may lean out the air/fuel mixture, which means you need to re-jet, something not easy to do with a 'Wing, I think.

They say, "there is no replacement for displacement". More CCs is what you need. In addition, a hotter cam with more degrees gets more power every fire. Ofcourse, over cammed engines run great flat out, but they are lumpy at idle.

but, it's a 'wing

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Are there performance cams available for the older GLs? Specifically the 1000s? I've thought about the cams but have not checked into a performance set as I've assumed none to available because of none mentioned. It's a 'Potamus, and I've left it at that, more or less.:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.