Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i need help........

i have a 77 gl1000 with the big black exhaust muffler that is rotting around the front clamps.

question.......Will the exhaust from a 1980 gl 1100 interstate fit onto my bike? Please help.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

jbocop wrote:
i need help........

i have a 77 gl1000 with the big black exhaust muffler that is rotting around the front clamps.

question.......Will the exhaust from a 1980 gl 1100 interstate fit onto my bike? Please help.
As far as I know they will fit, if you also use the 1100 headers.

It's also easy to adapt Harley Sportster mufflers, but you'll have to re-jet a bit richer (especially a '77 since it already has a lean carb setup). The Sportster mufflers are very cheap on ebay.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i was wanting to do away with the big black monster and the 1100 exhaust comes as one piece per side as far as i can tell from the picture and is connnected by the crossover pipe. i just wanted to make sure that they would bolt up to the head and i figured i might have to make a bracket of some kind for the rear.......thanx a bunch

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Let us know how it turns out...

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

you said something about Sportster mufflers. Will they clamp onto the factory header pipes? i looked on ebay and you can get them pretty stinkin cheap. that might be the better way to go.......(new vs. used) thanx for all help

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

jbocop wrote:
you said something about Sportster mufflers. Will they clamp onto the factory header pipes? i looked on ebay and you can get them pretty stinkin cheap. that might be the better way to go.......(new vs. used) thanx for all help
If you clamp them directly to the headers they'll get in the way of the centerstand.

Here's some more info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.