Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Been giving the wing her usual strip down and maintenance checks, to make sure that she's in good shape for the summer, and I'm stunned to find that the exhausts (mufflers) are rotted through again, I only replaced them with genuine OEM items two years ago !!. I've been checking out Dave Silver spares, who do a set of pattern Stainless mufflers for £220. I've never used stainless before, has anyone had any experience with them ?. I remember a friend fitted a stainless set to his 1200 and as soon as a little heat built up, they turned a pasty straw colour, which ruined the look of the bike. If anyone has fitted stainless mufflers to their 1500, I'd be keen to hear their experience.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

All the stainless muffs I've seen fitted to Wings go yellow after a while, but the upside s that it is easily polished out when cleaning the bike. That's just the way it is with stainless. On the 1500 it takes a while for them to yellow, probably because the mufflers don't run as hot on that model (bigger collector box might have something to do with that).

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Sorry , have no experience with stainless exhausts on Goldwings. But to anyone with factory exhaust on their 4-cylinder Wings, I suggest that you make certain to keep the small drain hole open in the bottom of the can. On my last two 1200's I even went so far as to drill two additional 3/16" holes in the end caps. Only a very slight increase in exhaust volume levels, but more importantly; no rust either.

This is benificial for short haul, or wet weather riding where exhaust doesn't get a chance to dry itself out. Current job is 25 miles away, so the bike is well warmed before being parked.

Haven't noticed any undue lean running conditions, and still changing out spark-plugs every couple years or 12,000miles.

84 Aspencade = 74,000 miles.

86 Interstate=67,000 miles.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I can't say how much better SS is for exhaust systems on Goldwings, but they sure do last longer on aircraft engines. Lighter too since the SS systems are often made of thinner material since they don't have to be thicker to allow for rust and corrosion.
How far down the pipes to they tend to discolor? On my 1500 you can't seemore than the last two thirds of the muffler, can't see the headers at all.I'dprefer discolored metalratherthan replacing them every other year!

:waving:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

The OEM Honda mufflers for the 1500 seem to only last about 3 or 4 years, regardless of how little the bike gets used.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Words of wisdom, everyone is spot on with their advice. A small bit of discolouration is alot better than having to change the pipes every second year, I noticed that on both occasions the mufflers rotted when the wing was lying up for a little while, this is a rare occurrence as I drive the wing most days in both summer and winter, butmy move from the UK to Ireland meant that I had to leave the wing at my brothers place whilst I was in transition. It is now obvious to me that once the wing is left unused, the water that has collected in the base of the muffler begins to rot the pipe from the inside out. Heffo isright, the OEM mufflers last 3 years if you're lucky and 4 at best, I have therefore ordered a set of stainless mufflers from David Silver in the UK, thanks for all the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.