Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everyone.I've been lurking around the forum for a while and finally decided to take the plunge and become an active member. I bought a 1980 GL1100 Standardfrom a salvage yard two years ago and have ended up with a decent daily driver. I did the paint myself. A previous owner had painted the entire bike flat black, emblems and all. A little maintenance here, a little chrome there and theoldscoot is starting to look pretty good and it runs perfectly. I named it Eagle D. Wing.

The exhaust system was badly rusted and also discolored, probably from overheating. A check of the engine serial number reveals the engineis from an 82 model bike. I bought a used exhaust system three weeks ago via Ebay at a low price. The mufflers were fine, with the usual battery acid stains on the left side but quite free of rust. Only problem was the exhaust tips were in rough condition.

I found a set of chrome exhaust tips from AutoZone (http://www.autozone.com), part number PMZ-008. They are 2 1/8 inches in diameter and 9 inches long, cost of $3.99 each. After cutting off the lip from the end of the existing tips, these fit perfectly. AutoZone carries these tips in three styles: turn down, flared in and flared out. The PMZ-008 is the flared out style.

Here's a photo of the original exhaust after removing it from the bike.

Beezer

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

And here is a photo of the replacement exhaust system with new chrome tips. Got to find a decent set of rear shocks in the near future. The right side is quite rusty and they bottom out easily.

Beezer

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

....Looking real fine , Beezer../forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif. and /forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies2/band.gifWelcome to the Finest Wing site /forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies2/hallo.gifin the known Universe ......                                                                                                     However did your pipes get that awful?? Is hendersonville close to salt water ?  Did the PO leave it out all winter for a decade ?/ Anyway... looks great  now...                                                            /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gifSilverDave 

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/weightlifter.gif.... /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/jumper.gif/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/baffled.gif

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

No salt water around here, LOL. I think the engine suffered a serious case of overheating in the past, and may have been whatcaused it to need an engine replacement some time back. I know the cooling fan is activated by a temperature switch which is prone to failure. Without the cooling fan these engines will overheat at prolonged idle. My theory is the chrome turned blue from the heat. This bike has had a rough life but I am giving it lots of good TLC since rescuing it from the salvage yard two years ago.

I'm thinking of starting a new organization, the SPCGW, which stands for the "Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to GoldWings". One or more of the Eagle's previousowners ought to be fined, haha.

Beazer

P.S. I think I signed a couple of previous posts as "Beezer" but I'll get it right I promise.:shock:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sweet ride! Happy to see you posting beazer. Sometimes the chrome will blue if oil gets on it while hot. You've really got a nice bike there!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

beazer wrote:
No salt water around here, LOL. I think the engine suffered a serious case of overheating in the past, and may have been whatcaused it to need an engine replacement some time back. I know the cooling fan is activated by a temperature switch which is prone to failure. Without the cooling fan these engines will overheat at prolonged idle. My theory is the chrome turned blue from the heat. This bike has had a rough life but I am giving it lots of good TLC since rescuing it from the salvage yard two years ago.

I'm thinking of starting a new organization, the SPCGW, which stands for the "Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to GoldWings". One or more of the Eagle's previousowners ought to be fined, haha.
Beazer, you are correct the bluing in the exhaust is caused by heat... Where on the exhaust the bluing is can tell you a story itself.. If the bluing is close to the cyl head exhaust port is usually means it was running lean in at least one operating range while under load,, if the bluing is towards the rear of the exhaust or mufflers that could signify a rich condition & the point of the bluing is just where the rich exhaust mixture got enough air to fire off & burn. Anair leak into the exhaust at a seal or joint can also cause a blue exhaust rearward of that point..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum Beaser. Your bike looks great!! We came through Hendersonville last Saturday on the way to the Mountain Fair. My son did live in Horseshoe so we know and have in riden the area quite a few times. We meandered up there going through the Chimney Rock area from Charlotte. This is always a pleasant ride. :waving::waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

beazer wrote:
And here is a photo of the replacement exhaust system with new chrome tips. Got to find a decent set of rear shocks in the near future. The right side is quite rusty and they bottom out easily.

Beezer
That has to be one of the best looking Naked Wings I've seen. The more I look at that bike the better it looks.The color coordinated seat really set it off. Fine ride!

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.