Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:weightlifter:
On my Valk (RIP) I drilled the baffles until it sounded just perfect. I would like a little more grumble on my wing. Is there a mod/thread that I can do/read to do this?

One more thing, the valve inside the left saddle bag, does that inflate the tire or just add air to the suspension?

Thanks.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I remember some threads on drilling out the baffles, a search should pull them up. Far as I know all the se models have the suspension controls on the fairing and the other gl1500 models have an air hose in the right side saddlebag.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Dragoon wrote:
One more thing, the valve inside the left saddle bag, does that inflate the tire or just add air to the suspension?
Thanks.
That is the Aux outlet, for inflating your tires, etc, although it is slow!

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

The owners manual explains it pretty well but here is what I know.

The controls on the right lower portion of the fairing will control the suspension - the key must be in a certain position (aux I think) and the bike needs to be on the center stand.
The right side bag contains an aux. hose you can use to inflate your tieres but as said - it is slow. The key still needs to be in the same position and you use the controls to run the air hose also.

Oh and it's not exclusive to the SE - mine is an aspencade.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

This is what I did. (on my Harley), I bought a 1 inch hole cut saw, the saw chuck & an 18 inch extension. My cost here was $50. I could have rented it for a day for $10 from the rental store here.

I pulled off the muffler & braced it so it would not turn. Than I borred out my mufflers. You cant go smaller than 1 inch because a saw hole chuck is 1 inch. so its 1 and larger for that reason. The saw blade came off in the pipe a few times but with a lil wiggling it comes out.

I didnt want the strait pipe sound, just a lil louder & it worked great. The sound still gets muffled quite a bit from the remaining internal parts of the muffler.

An easier route might be to just run Harley pipes on your wing. Sporty pipes or big bagger pipes work well & the pipe size is 1 1/2 inch.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I was always the one to mess with the pipes. Always. Mostly though the Harleys, the Yamaha's and the occasional Honda Shadow. I just had to change them and make them make noise. :). I have even messed with the exhausts on bike like the older Royal Star Venture, the bike that took a back seat to the Wing.

Whatever you do to the exhaust, it always effects something else. With the twin engines normally if you use free flowing exhaust, all you have to do is enrich the fuel mix a bit. It will run fine.

When you get into the four and six cylinder bikes with the different carb set-ups and timing, it is not quite so simple. What happens if you drill out the baffles is sure you get a bit more sound, but it is always a gamble as to what. Sometimes it sounds like a mouse farting in a tin can. :DBut always it effects the motor and performance. With tuned exhaust mods, the most common thing is a lack of power in the lower RPM range. The only cure for this is to re-jet and re-tune the carbs.

The end result is never known until you do something, but normaly it does change performace, sometimes for the good, most of the time not.

Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.