Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone tried wrapping their exhaust with the material used for this purpose? I know mine gets really hot down there, I really notice it when the exhaust shields are removed. Would this be a benefit during the hot months of the western deserts? I have in the past removed the belly pan for better circulation while taking some long trips during the summer as in and around Death Valley, trip to Mexico.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

if you were to rap the pipes that would only hold the heat in cant be a good thing

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ya, I was wondering about that myself, but they advertise the product as helping to cool the engine??? weird

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

I use it on all my offroad bikes. Keeps heat from the pipe from radiating back into the engine. Works well, the engine runs noticeably cooler. I havent decided to do my Wing yet, so far the foot heat hasnt been to bad.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

Header wrap is ment for just that, To wrap the headers on drag cars and such to help keep down underhood temps and help keep exessive heat from the starter. SomeHarley guys wrap their pipes to helpkeep the motor (and their legs) cool.

The down side as I understand it is the wrap seems todecrease the life of headersbecouse itpromotes rust.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I also own a Kawasaki Concours. The guys on the Concours site talk about header wrap all the time. The Concours radiates more heat on your legs than a wing can. Most of the people there wrap the headers in the summer. I just bought mine at the end of the summer season but I did have a few times that the heat was pretty bad. I will probibly wrap the Concours but I don't have that much problem with my wing. Although I don't get the summer heat like you do out west.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Can't say that I've had any heat problems with my 1500 even in Phoenix in July. The engine temps stay well within normal range and I don't notice the air blowing on my legs being any hotter than that over the windshield. When the bike is moving there's plenty of air flow through the fairing and over the headers and mufflers, the pipes are covered enough so you don't have to worry about coming in contact with them so I can't see anything to be gained with wrapping them. Specially since 'Wings have been running in hot areas for over thirty years now with no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.