Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Exhausted

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  chilidawg 
#1 ·
Looking for exhaust info on a trike
My 1500 eml trike is loud, 111 decibels at the exhaust @ 2500 rpm, deafening,
I want to fit some baffles, the end of the pipes are turned down with a stainless screen about 4 inches inside, it it solid so i dont want to remove it, if i remove the exhausts from the collector box am i right in thinking i can slide the baffles in from the opposite end?
Also am i right in thinking that the stainless exhaust that fits on the collector box is 60mm tube.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
By what i understand it the original exhaust that was fitted when it was triked , it has the normal collector box on it.
It was converted 13 years ago & i know the kit manufacturer is still in business but i suspect any sound deadening material has turned to dust.
I dont want to buy new mufflers for it so a new set of baffles is the best option, or thats what it looks like to me.

#6 ·
OK, it has the OEM collector box you said, but you don't mention the OEM mufflers …
… are they present with extended tips …
… or is it just straight pipes from the collector box back?

I have OEM mufflers with no collector box (I use an X-tractor instead), and the OEM mufflers have extensions to get tips at rear. The collector box has no baffling or packing in it, just a "room" with two entrances and two exits to "share" the mufflers duties with both sides of the flat 6 engine exhaust headers. When first acquired, it had turn down tips & seemed louder, I guessed because of echo off roadway, so I changed to straight tips with rolled pencil tip ends. These mufflers are OEM for this '97.

If your's has no mufflers, shop for some (even used OEMs will quieten it a lot over straight pipes if that's what you have) and extend the ends as needed with 2"OD pipe (I think, but measure after cutting turn downs off). Should be as quiet as OEM then.

A flash picks up any dust or dirt or grime all too well. The hitch was a later modification to 1-1/4 receiver I made, first pic is just to show what an "X-tractor" is.

#7 ·
I get where you're coming from but don't you think you ought to be just shopping around for a standard exhaust system?

I bought a Hardly Dangerous a year or so back and it had pipes that only advertised to the neighborhood how small my penis is.

I changed them out for a regular standard set and now, nobody knows!:|

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.