Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I had a Laminar lip on my Bandit and it did a great job of killing the turbulence. The difference in the noise level inside my helmet was much reduced. While my Goldwing started out with great wind protection and only a little helmet noise, it was enough to get on my nerves when I rode 7 hours to Memphis in May. At that point, I decided to give a Laminar Lip a try on my Wing. I finally got around to ordering on last week and I received it today. My 1100 has a stock shield on it.

My initial install has the top of the lip about an inch or so above the top of the shield. I chose to start there because that was perfect on my Bandit. With the shield in its highest position, the airflow was perfect. Just a slight breeze on my neck, no turbulence and could have heard myself whisper inside my helmet. Unfortunately, it required me to look through the lip and I prefer to look over the shield/lip.

My next step was to lower the shield while keeping the lip attached in the same spot. I was able to look over the lip mostly but its effectiveness was reduced. Still an improvement in noise level, but not as good.

Tomorrow night I plan to lower the lip on the windshield to see how that works out. I will also get some pictures then.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

I got one last year when I went to California. I really should have got a new windshield but that's life. I mounted it on the shield at various levels but found that if it was just under the top lip of the windshield that it was most successful. My wife said that a lot of the buffeting was gone or behind her. It's also important where you put the center support, the dome shaped thing. I put mine in the center of my shield but It would have served better if fitted to the Lip instead. It really worked well at speed though and flys and bugs just shot up and over.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

AndyB, we had some talk about the Laminar Lip awhile back with no big answers, I looked for one on ebay for a long time and did not find any. I am interested in your findings and results, please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Yeah, thanks Andy. I asked if anyone had used one awhile back, and had mixed reviews. Itwas kinda like the Dallas Cowboys, ya either hate em or love em. I'd sooner watch some more Michael Jackson news than pull for the Cowgirls.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Wingle wrote:
I got one last year when I went to California. I really should have got a new windshield but that's life. I mounted it on the shield at various levels but found that if it was just under the top lip of the windshield that it was most successful. My wife said that a lot of the buffeting was gone or behind her. It's also important where you put the center support, the dome shaped thing. I put mine in the center of my shield but It would have served better if fitted to the Lip instead. It really worked well at speed though and flys and bugs just shot up and over.
I will try it with it mounted like you suggest. I got the 17 inch lip which does not have the center support so it should be a bit easier to move around.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

53jimc wrote:
Where did you order your lip? Can you post a pic, too?
Thanks,
Jim(inSC)
I will post pics when I get home tonight. I ordered it directly from Laminar Lip.
Lip gettin place.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Alrighty! Fresh in from tonight's round of tests. After thinking it over and reading several threads on here about shields, I decided that what I was really looking for was reduced helmet noise. Compared to my Bandit, the Goldwing has very little turbulence so I am already pretty satisfied with that.

For the sake of the test, I rode without earplugs so I could notice the difference readily but normally I ride with earplugs. I rode the same stretch of about 2 miles back and forth many times at about 70 miles an hour. Each time I got to the end of the stretch, I would adjust the lip about half an inch up. I started with the top of the lip about an inch below the top of the shield. I found that the best position was when it was about even or very slightly above the top of the shield although the differences were minimal. I tried this in the low and high shield position and found them to be similar enough to decide to keep the shield in the low position for the sake of easily seeing over the shield.

And, finally, I rode the stretch back to back with the lip and without the lip and there was no doubt that the helmet noise is significantly reduced with the lip, no matter what position. In fact, I have decided that I need to buy some new muffler packing so I can quiet my wing down.

As soon as I find the right camera cord, I will upload some pictures of the shield.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Thanks a lot for all the information Andy. I find that most of the buffeting I deal with is when I have traffic around and especially in front. Disturbed air is no good. Thanks again

John

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Hey Andy, I contacted "Lip" and he told me they have a universal that I could try but did not have a dedicatedone for the older GL's. Which one did you purchase? And also he said because of the height on the Goldwings, it may make the windscreen dance around.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

I bought the 17.5" universal and mounted it on a stock screen. It did make the stock screen wobble a bit when I had the screen in the highest position but I did not notice any when the screen was in the lowest position.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Lowest position??? You mean those slotted mount holes. There's only room for what, three quarters of an inch or so.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

johnnynogood wrote:
Lowest position??? You mean those slotted mount holes. There's only room for what, three quarters of an inch or so.
Maybe that is why I got some flex. I moved it about an inch and a quarter. Perhaps it was just barely hanging on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.