Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 2006 GL1800. I bought it in Sept 2012; all electrics were fine. After a couple of months, the fog lights which come on when the bike is turned on, stopped working. As part of this (2013) Spring's "getting-ready-for-summer" treatment in the local Honda dealer, I had the fog lights checked; they found that the bulbs were blown, and so replaced them. Now, a couple of months and only about 3 thousand kilometres later, one of them is blown again.

I get the impression from reading comments in various Wing forums that short lifespans is the norm for the fog-lights on these bikes, although I doubt that the norm is quite this short. Have any of you folks had similar experience? Any suggestions / comments will be appreciated.

Please note that the lights I refer to as fog lights go seem to be called different things by different people. In my case, they are the lights that are mounted by the lower cowls.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
If whoever fitted the bulbs handled the glass, that would make the bulbs blow much sooner than normal.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I've had my bike for over 3 years, put on over 64K miles and I run with my "fog lights" on all the time! I've never replaced them and they've never blow out on me. I believe they are aftermarket lights but I'd have to check to be sure of the make. I did replace the glass faceplates when I first got the bike as they were both cracked and as I recall I got them from Electrical Connections (I also put on plexiglass safety shields).

Not sure if this helps but my feeling is that these bulbs shouldn't burn out that fast (unless, like mentioned, fingerprints on the bulbs during install).

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
I ended up changing my H3 bulbs out for LED ones, because the 55 watt ones supplied cracked the glass with the heat. Not so bright, but so far they have lasted a long while. It is possible to buy 7watt versions, or higher, for a bit more money, but I went with this cheaper sort, though not from the seller I have shown a link to. I have just picked one as an example of the sort I use.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-H3-SMD-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f260e9476

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I had the bulbs replaced at a Honda dealership by their Goldwing guru, so I am guessing that he would have known not to have touched the bulbs. Maybe I have a short in the system somewhere, but that would probably cost the price of the bike to track down. Thus I will just make do with my regular lights until I can afford the short-tracking exercise.
Thanks again for the feedback

·
1,819 Posts
Dont Waste your time , looking for a short ,- a short has nothing to do with bulb life !
Get some decent bulbs , or as someone mentioned , put led`s in.

·
Premium Member
67,694 Posts
save money, buy in bulk.........

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. The bulbs would burn out when they were about 6 weeks old. I found that the bulbs lasted much longer after I got them adjusted where I wanted and then tightened up the pivot bolts. That took most of the vibration out of the mounting system and now my bulbs have lasted more than 2 years.

I have the Kuryakyn lights if that makes any difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.