Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I wear contact lenses andcan have problems with my eyes drying out while riding. I have used all manner of eyewear and face shields but am always looking for new and improved ideas. What do you use?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Windshield and full face helmet. My full face helmet seems to keep the wind off my face. On hot days I flip up the visor as long as I am wearing glasses. Don't know about contacts.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Before I got the full-face, I used nice, lightweight, OSHA approved safety glasses from Grainger. Max. safety, good value, and if they get too scratched up to wear riding - they are relegated to weed whacker, or grinderduty. :)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I got a nice pair of glasses from the local dealership for about $20 that have foam pads on the inside of the glasses. They let some air in, but not as much as normal glasses.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I used to just use a pair of prescription glasses when on a motorcycle. I tried contacts once, and simply found out I am way too active a person to get along with those.

I had trouble with my eyes getting dry, and if you turned your head to the side , every once in awhile even with sunglasses on the wind would just remove that contact and away it would go. Then they came out with the new extended wear ones, so I tried those, I suppose I lost one or two a week.

Get dirt in your eye and rub it, contact gone.

Turn your head in the wind, contact gone.

So I tried laser eye surgery, lasted five years, eyes changed.

Have simply went back to glasses.

Maybe a pair of glasses? On the bike? and use contacts other times.

Kit

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

I love my Glasses with the changeable lens.. I wear the dark during the day and change to yellow at night. also have clear just in case. got them from a bike show for $18.00 not bad for 3 pair of lens.. Sold full face helmets for 1/4 the cost in a yard sale.. wear 1/2 helmet or Doo rag depending if I want bare headed harley riders to wave. I guess they think me wearing a helmet will cause them to lose the right to not wear one.. Too Each His Own..

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Honda dealer has a pair of sunglasses with foam arount the lenses that keep most air out, I also wear contacts and these work great, got mine for arount 29 bucks You might try these.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I have three pairs of glasses that are always with the wing, one is a pair of polorized sunglasses, the other is a pair of amber lensed glasses and lastly a pair of clear glasses, all three are safety glass rated.

The sunglass's were about $20.00, but the other 2 pair I bought at Walmart for about $5.00 each. I try not to spend a lot on them as I'm known for losing or breaking them. I like the ones from Walmart because they wrap around and cut down on the wind in my eyes.

I'm not comfortable not having some kind of eye protection, but there are times I have ridden without them. If I'm riding in the rain, it dosen't take long before the rain on the windshield, water drops on the outer lens and fog on the inside of the lens, makes visibility difficult. At this point I usually have to go without for visibility. Don't like it, but it happens.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I have a bit of the dry eye also. I don't wear contacts, but I always wear some kind of glasses, clear at night and UV sunglasses in the day. With either the open faced or convertible helmet, I can still get a speck of pollen or road something in my eye and it will really burn for 10 minutes or so. I have good eye drops I keep in the fairing pouch and use them often. We have some dry conditions and lot's of citrus pollen here in So. Cal. so I have to be ready for that. I don't recommend riding one eyed. But have been caught with one burning eye a time or two. The eye drops are an instant relief.
I also carry an eye cup. This is a good way to get that good chunk of something out of ones eye, that can never get through all that protection......but has!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Bloody forum software trunkated my message. :X

I have the Jammer II kit from Rider's Eyewear. They have 3 sets of lenses, smoke, yellow and clear, 100% UV, removable strap, cushioned, and even come with a zippered case and glasses bag. Very comfortable. Was Wannabewing turned me on to these. They have a lot of different models to choose from too, including some with prescription lenses.

Jammer II Kit

John

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I ware a pair of tri-focals, OK, got to see the dash as well as what is out front of me. They are UV and photosensitive. Those along with my half helmet is all I ever used. Oh, and the windshield of course.:action:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I'm 6'4" so I sit above the windshield even with it extended to the top. I use a full face helmet with a clear shield for night time and a dark shield for sunny days. I am also nearsighted so I wear my prescription glasses. I mostly leave the shield open about a 1/4 inch. I've had to many large bugs hit the helmet/face shield/face!! to ride with the shield open any longer than necessary. Its amazing how loud some of the bugs are when they hit the helmet.

Driving with the shield down stops the air from drying my eyes out.

I tried the transition lenses but with them inside the helmet they do not change unless the sun hits the lenses and I try and avoid having the sun directly in my eyes. I cannot stand to have anything in my eyes so contacts are out.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I usually wear either Wiley X glasses with the foam or Gargoyles that wrap around. both are great the foam reaally helps but block some periphial vision. I also wear with glasses a full face helmet and the visor runs anywhere from full up to full down. I like the eye cup idea however as that will really help in a pinch. I have worn contacts since 1972. Wear them scuba diving, skiing and work. I have gone from old fashioned hard lenses to the new disposable lenses. My eyes are just getting old and dry faster now. I am unfortunately not eligible for laser surgery. besides cool shades are cool.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

I'm a big fan of the inexpensive safety glasses from Walmart (either sporting or lawn car sections). The optics seem good and they are inexpensive so you won't cry if you drop them.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I like those guard dogs they are not too expensive either

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Check these guy's out & talk to Steve, best in the business for customer satisfaction. I"ve got 2 pair from him. Rxables. :waving::waving:

Eyeware Zone

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
Guard Dogs. Best I have found for riding Nekid at high speeds. They ain't cheap but I have used them at 100 mph plus without a windscreen for extended runs without a problem http://www.guard-dogs.com/shop/index.php?cPath=30
How good is the "Fog Stopper"? That's the main complaint I have with most of the glasses I've tried. They all fog here in the Pacific Northwet. :D My Scorpion anti-fog sheild on my helmet does pretty well, but I have to keep the glasses slightly away from my face in the cold humidity or they fog.

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.