Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Memory Tinanium frames on 4 pairs of eyeglasses.

Recently, I had a new prescription lenses installed into my old, but still looking just like new frames.... even at 12 years old, these frames are indestructable.

but, the local eye doc charged me $350 bux just to have the lenses installed in my frames.... I know that is totally out of line, highway robbery if we don't have an alternate place to buy.

did some searching on the Zenni optical website, and I found my frames....
Holy Smokes! I can get new glasses for a tenth of the price as what the local optician is charging.

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/bendable-memory-titanium-full-rim-frame/2120?skuId=212021

·
Administrator
22,365 Posts
I think with glasses it may be a "get what you pay for" deal.

I looked at Zinni for some script sunglasses and the price is so low it may be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Dollar Store , its a bargain Im looking for. 1.25 reading glasses for a buck. Im using them for 4-5 years and Im just fine. I break or lose at least 10 pairs a year.
I know about the expensive ones as my wife gets them .

·
Administrator
59,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, I have several of the Dollar Store reader eyeglasses in different strengths.
all the way up to 3.0 so I can see those damn pesky invisible screws that hold the inside of a laptop together.

for my everyday reading glasses so I can read for hours on end, I must have prescription lense as I have astigmatism fairly bad.

Luckily not bad enough to bother me if I go without glasses at all,

so that I can walk, and drive w/o glasses.

that was I my order to the eye doctor who gave me new cataract lense replacements.
I am 20/20 for far vision. can read road signs a 1/4 mile away w/o glasses.

but, for extended driving? I use my prescription glasses.

For bike riding, no glasses, so I can wear my helmet comfortably.

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
I've purchased from Zenni Optical and very pleased. I buy their budget line frames for $6.95 with free lenses and then add coatings/tints.

·
Banned
500 Posts
Dollar Store , its a bargain Im looking for. 1.25 reading glasses for a buck. Im using them for 4-5 years and Im just fine. I break or lose at least 10 pairs a year.
I know about the expensive ones as my wife gets them .

yep. obamacare wouldnt buy me glasses, so i went to walmart. my chic went to an eye doctor that took obamacare less deductible plus surcharge and extra if ya have normal iq. she went twice.............

i drive.

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
I just had an eye checkup and luckily he said I am OK with just readers for now, 20/20 at distance. It's at less than arms length I can't focus on.

·
Administrator
59,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had an eye checkup and luckily he said I am OK with just readers for now, 20/20 at distance. It's at less than arms length I can't focus on.

you got maybe another 5 to 10 years Dave, before those darned cataracts get in the way. :)

but the readers are nice to have on hand.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I have worn glasses all my life. I started using Zenni about 5 or 6 years ago. The quality is there. There is quite a bit of mark up in the local eye wear store. Living now in Yuma, AZ, I recently purchased new glasses in Mexico. Two pair for $90 and that included the eye exam.... transition bi focal lenses and so far these frames have held up great.

I am going to order some sun glasses from Zenni soon. My old riding glasses that I bought there 6 years ago are scratched and beat up pretty bad.

·
Nobody You Know
277 Posts
I bought several pairs over time a few years ago from Zenni's - bifocals, sunglasses, and both. Never had a problem. I recommend them.

Now I don't need prescription glasses, however. Had cataract surgery (both eyes) and the doc installed new lenses that gave me near 20/20. Still need +1.25 readers because I nor insurance would spring for the extra cost for bifocal lens replacements. (Which the doc said were a bit difficult to get used to anyway.) I buy the readers and sunglasses off the shelf for a few bucks at Wal-Mart and they work fine for me!

·
Administrator
59,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use biFocal glasses, and they are not that hard to get used to.

I like them when watching movies as I can use the laptop and glance up at the TV screen and everything is in focus immediately...

or when driving the car, I can look down at the dashboard and everything is in focus there also.

my cataract lense replacements have been wonderful, and let me go about daily life w/o wearing glasses which can be a real bother in outdoor activities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i've used zenni for about 6 years now. They are cheap and a decent quality. I have 5 pairs, you can more then one pair at there prices. I haven't lost any, but if you do, its not that big of a deal....

·
Administrator
59,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've used zenni for about 6 years now. They are cheap and a decent quality. I have 5 pairs, you can more then one pair at there prices. I haven't lost any, but if you do, its not that big of a deal....
Compared to my Lenscrafters Titanium glasses, which at retail cost $500/pair, that is a much better deal...

the reason I have them, is when I retired, I had $2,000 in a Medical Healthcare Savings Account.... those things are okay for families with predictable expenses, but for a single person retiring? it was spend it all, or loose it all...

so, I bought 5 pairs of glasses all at the same time.

Single Vision Reading: a godsend for a laptop in your lap, while in a recliner.

BiFocals for driving and reading the gauges on the car.

Computer glasses for my Desktop with a 24 inch monitor where I set back about 36-40 inches from the monitor, reading glasses made me hunch over the desk.... now I can sit in my Office Chair and lean back and still read the monitor.

Sunglasses: goofed on these, thought I would love the wrap around kind....
uh, no, no one can make those things work with Prescription Lenses that have Astigmatism correction.... I sent them back 3 times, and gave up.

Talked to my local eye doctor about that just a month ago, and he said the same thing, can't be done.

Should have bought the Aviator Style, those work as the lenses are flat.
I will order a pair of these from Zenni Opitical.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I have worn glasses all my life. I started using Zenni about 5 or 6 years ago. The quality is there. There is quite a bit of mark up in the local eye wear store. Living now in Yuma, AZ, I recently purchased new glasses in Mexico. Two pair for $90 and that included the eye exam.... transition bi focal lenses and so far these frames have held up great.

I am going to order some sun glasses from Zenni soon. My old riding glasses that I bought there 6 years ago are scratched and beat up pretty bad.
Wow look who's back. Yuma, I see, is almost in Mexico. Are you working on some sort of secret tunnel Larry?
Tell us how you ended up in there. Is it for the inexpensive services you buy across the border? Like eye glasses? I just say that so the police wont say I hijacked the forum

·
Nobody You Know
277 Posts
I use biFocal glasses, and they are not that hard to get used to.
The bifocals I was referring to (that the doc said were hard to get used to) were the cataract replacement lenses in the eyes - not the kind in the frames! What I find useful for riding are bifocal sunglasses with +1.25 in the 'reader' area and no correction otherwise, because I no longer need it for my 'far' vision since my cataract surgery. Zenni's does a fine job with those. That way I can read the gauges and see the road and have sunglasses!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have used Zenni for years. The only thing they don't offer is a true prescription goggle for riding. They have goggles which work with single vision and I really like the fit and feel. However, with needing a no line progressive (yes I am old) I got tired of switching glasses every time I stopped for a break. I still order my day to day glasses (no line progressive with transitions) from Zenni. But my sunglass goggles I recently got from a local America's Best. If Zenni ever offers them I will surely switch. Their prices are amazing.

·
Administrator
59,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bifocals I was referring to (that the doc said were hard to get used to) were the cataract replacement lenses in the eyes - not the kind in the frames! What I find useful for riding are bifocal sunglasses with +1.25 in the 'reader' area and no correction otherwise, because I no longer need it for my 'far' vision since my cataract surgery. Zenni's does a fine job with those. That way I can read the gauges and see the road and have sunglasses!

Oh, both my eyedoctor, and the surgeon both told me to stay with plain vanilla cataract lenses w/o any correction....

they both said that the correction has to change through out our lives, and that can only be done with external lenses.

I am extremely happy with my new uncorrected cataract lenses.....
the left one is very good, the right one requires astigmatism correction as it has for 50 years.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Double cataract lens replacement. An amazing, yet quick and easy, operation.

·
Administrator
59,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Double cataract lens replacement. An amazing, yet quick and easy, operation.

I should hope they did them one at a time?

that is what my surgeon does, he won't do both at the same time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts