Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I have Memory Tinanium frames on 4 pairs of eyeglasses.

Recently, I had a new prescription lenses installed into my old, but still looking just like new frames.... even at 12 years old, these frames are indestructable.

but, the local eye doc charged me $350 bux just to have the lenses installed in my frames.... I know that is totally out of line, highway robbery if we don't have an alternate place to buy.

did some searching on the Zenni optical website, and I found my frames....
Holy Smokes! I can get new glasses for a tenth of the price as what the local optician is charging.

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/bendable-memory-titanium-full-rim-frame/2120?skuId=212021
I'm pretty lucky in that respect... My nephew down in Marietta, GA is my eye doctor and I never pay for glasses but I know what the markups are and they are pretty hefty...

I too am suffering from cataracts John and it won't be long before I'll need surgery... AAMOF, it's time for me to go down and see him again as my vision seems to be getting worse...

I have designer frames with ear pieces that swivel in 4 directions so they are pretty sturdy in that respect... I've been wearing glasses since I was a little boy so taking care of them is pretty much second nature to me...

I also just graduated into hearing aids so I can't think of much that is left for me to have :laugh::laugh:

Les

·
Administrator
58,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
a new lower end that still functions like a 16 year old? :rofl:

doubt that ever happens....

my right eye got a bit fuzzy again after the new cataract lense.
Doc told me in advance, that some people have that problem at 3 to 6 months out from surgery.
a laser blast blows it all away, and my right eye is now better than my "good left eye".
hmmmm, guess it will need a laser tune up in the future.

the surgeon and my eye doc both said that the left eye has a bit of fuzz in it.
meaning that one day, it has to be laser tuned.... but have to wait until the fuzz is really bad, or it won't work

·
Administrator
58,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well,
saw my eye doctor today, and had him write me out a script for my BiFocals....

when I said that I can't afford to buy through him, he only said " Consider them Throw Away eyeglasses " and that was the end of his comments about Zenni Optical.

Ordered up Titanium Frames as I am a bit hard on my sunglasses, hard to keep them from getting sat on, or dropped, etc...

80% grey, hope that is not too much, but I want them for driving...
Thought about the Transitions but there was a warning that they will NOT darken when you sit inside a car..... ( something that I experienced 20 years ago or more when all I did on the job was drive 500 miles a day )

So, I was in a quandary, do I order 50% gray or 80% gray?

by the time the hard coating was applied, the order totalled out at $98.00

I looked at the order #, those folks sell a lot of eyeglass
Order #o1482213141

that is 1 billion, 482 thousand, plus eyeglasses sold!

here is how my Options List came out:

Frame Price $15.95

Lens 1.50 Polarized + Bifocal(with a line) - Gray -tint at 80% $57.99

AR Anti-Reflection Coating : Oleophobic (premium oil and fingerprint resistant) Anti-Reflective Coating $14.95

Priority Shipping was $8.95 for a tracking number
or, could have chosen $4.95 standard shipping

·
Magic Moderator
4,399 Posts
Actually they're the same quality as what you pay top dollar for.
It's highway robbery what they charge for glasses, that's why I went with Zenni Optical and have been very pleased.
I buy the real cheap frames for $6.95 and get the free lenses and then add the coatings and tints.

·
Registered
259 Posts
All of my expensive frames and Crizal lenses get dented and scratched immediately.

My cheapo Wal*Mart glasses last forever. They are nigh indestructible.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
A friend dropped in and was showing me his new glasses. I put them on a fine scale and asked him what they cost. It calculated out to 90% of the price of gold.

·
Administrator
58,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A friend dropped in and was showing me his new glasses. I put them on a fine scale and asked him what they cost. It calculated out to 90% of the price of gold.

I am quite sure, that my first pair of Medicare deductible eyeglasses will meet that qualification.

the horrible thing is, my right eye has changed, and that lens needs to be replaced.
so, I went back to the eye doc, and they quoted me $350 for one lense!!! :surprise:

holy crap!
Zenni Opitical is making me a brand new BiFocal, Polarized with 80% grey tint, for $97 including Priority Shipping and new Titanium frame just like the one I paid horrendously for 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
$350.00? WOW.
With my exam, new lenses. (no line bifocals) anti glare (for computer work) self darkening, anti scratch, lightweight frames.......$620.00 I about fell over dead!

·
Administrator
58,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
oh!!!!
I am so in anticipation:
We are happy to tell you that your Zenni order is on the way! Soon you will look even more fabulous.
Your order was shipped on 09/21/2018 via USPS Mail (Priority Mail, Flat Rate Padded Env) to the following address provided at checkout:
I sure hope that 80% tint is not too dark..... I was in such a quandary as to whether to choose 50% or 80%

too late to make a change now of course, except that I will know what % to choose from when I order the single script Aviator sunglasses..... they won't do a bifocal prescription in the Aviator style frame, don't know why.

·
Registered
78 Posts
oh!!!!
I am so in anticipation:

I sure hope that 80% tint is not too dark..... I was in such a quandary as to whether to choose 50% or 80%

too late to make a change now of course, except that I will know what % to choose from when I order the single script Aviator sunglasses..... they won't do a bifocal prescription in the Aviator style frame, don't know why.
They can’t do bifocal because the actual lens snaps into the frame. The actual lens is very small. They make great riding glasses though. I had 80% and it was not too dark. I also ordered a set of clear for night time riding.

·
Administrator
58,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
got an email that claimed the prescription is correct?????
what an idiot those people are.
I was supposed to call them and make a decision, I have been too mad to do it sanely,
so I put it off.
will take care of that tmw ( meaning when I wake up again ) it is 1:15 a.m. now

my sleeping hours are all screwed up, my daughter is a night person, and we just work when we are up, and sleep when we need to.... we just cover the windows and the house is dark, and we go on.... being retired makes that easy

·
Administrator
58,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
got an email that claimed the prescription is correct?????
what an idiot those people are.
I was supposed to call them and make a decision, I have been too mad to do it sanely,
so I put it off.
will take care of that tmw ( meaning when I wake up again ) it is 1:15 a.m. now

my sleeping hours are all screwed up, my daughter is a night person, and we just work when we are up, and sleep when we need to.... we just cover the windows and the house is dark, and we go on.... being retired makes that easy

just got off the phone again, the very nice American sounding lady's voice was pleasant, and she read off the email saying the glasses 'are correct'.

I asked her how anyone could possibly consider them correct when the "Far Vision" prescription is in the BiFocal segment...?"

She said, that is because that was the doctor's orders for "Segment Height" ??
give me a break.... segment height is from the pupil to the top of the BiFocal segment and mine is 4 milliMeters.....

sheesh! I figured out real quick, they were NOT going to remake them properly, I took the full Store Credit until I figure out how to spend the money on something they cannot screw up, it will NOT be another pair of BiFocals...
those people are IDIOTS....

my daughter is ordering a pair of glasses from Payne, we will see how that goes... but I am thru with throwing good money at Zenni Optical.

·
Magic Moderator
4,399 Posts
I never had Zenni make bifocals just single vision. It's a shame they won't do the job over. I went over to the Payne Optical site and they have even less expensive frames and look nice. Let me know how they turn out, I May give them a try for my next pair. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
My daughter worked for an optometrist for a while but quit because she wasn't into con games. They would upsell a set of glasses for a kid to plastic lenses because kids can be hard on glasses. Then they would upsell an adult to glass lenses because they are more scratch resistant.

·
Magic Moderator
4,399 Posts
I looked at Payne Glasses and I found they have many pairs with a 15mm bridge which is hard to find, I have two pair that are 16 and they don't like to stay put.

·
Administrator
58,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
We went to Owasso yesterday, and got a 2nd opinion eye exam. both of us....

the new O.D. is very neat, and he said that my old "new" script was not right.... and I felt it was NOT.... immediately... but Medicare won't pay for new lenses in less than a year...

Cyndi's script was off by 50% !!! she had ordered new glasses thru Zenni Optical and had headaches immediately.... oh, Dr. Len Hart was telling us that glasses from Zenni or other online optical place were "throw aways" and not worth getting.....

funny thing that..... the O.D. yesterday, who does NOT sell eyeglasses, told Cyndi that they are all the same, order or get them from anywhere, the glass blanks are all the same, and to save money, and stay away from an O.D. who sells glasses in his office....

so, Dr. Hart is 0 for 2 scripts, Cyndi and mine were both wrong.... looking forward to the new eyeglasses.

·
Administrator
24,845 Posts
. but Medicare won't pay for new lenses in less than a year...

I wasn't aware that medicare paid for any vision services.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts