Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, WAAAAY off topic, but I figure there is a TON of knowledge here, so maybe this fishing trip will land the answers I need!

I have a 1997 F150 with rotten brake lines headed to the rear drum brakes. The line has ruptured which lets my brake peddle fall all the way to the floor without any decent braking front or rear! :surprise:

First, is this normal behavior? I'm used to brake systems where the front and rear brakes were independent. A failure in one didn't also fail the other. Am I just that "Old School?" And who thought it to be a great idea to allow such a dangerous single point of failure?? :thumbsdown:

Second, since I need some brakes to get 'er to the mechanic for a REAL repair, can I cap the rear brake outlet of the master cylinder (or more accurately, the RABS unit hanging under the master) to give me back my front brakes?

Thanks in advance for your prompt replies.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I would think you could cap off the bad one,just go to the nearest repair shop,ruptured lines aren't common?

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
It should still have front brakes though not very much. They are independent and have been for many decades. Shouldn't be much trouble to get a replacement hose and install it.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I would think you could cap off the bad one,just go to the nearest repair shop,ruptured lines aren't common?
Maybe in Texas they aren't common, but up north with all the stuff they put on the roads during the winter, most have that problem.
My 92 F-150 needed the rear line replaced. My 06 Silverado was just about ready to go.
It also seems that the car makers like to put the brake lines inside the bottom of the frame, just waiting for the salt and ice melters to attack them.
I know several people with 2000 and up Chevy's that had to have all the lines replaced in less than 10 years.
My 2015 Silverado was rust proofed with a special mixture that never dries. It's a mess for the wrenches, but it does a wonderful job protecting the underneath.

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
If you mean the metal line has rusted through just cut it off at a good spot, fold it back and hammer it closed. Then you should have good pedal and front brakes. I did just that recently on a 65 chevy to get it to my shop.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you mean the metal line has rusted through just cut it off at a good spot, fold it back and hammer it closed. Then you should have good pedal and front brakes. I did just that recently on a 65 chevy to get it to my shop.
Thanks Dave, that confirms my suspicion that closing off the rear will restore the front. And crimping the tube will be even easier than finding a proper plug to cap off the master. I just hope the tube is strong enough to hold the crimp!

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Is your life worth so little that you would drive 4000 pounds of destruction thru town to the repair shop with a partial braking system?

ok, what about the innocent family you drove over at the stoplight?

Having brake fluid in the master is very important to ANY operation

Admittedly- at the race track in an emergency- I may have knowledge of a car with vise grips securely fastened to the rear brake drum rubber line-
when a slave cyl blew out on one side and you know, finishing the race is all important

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I am worth more dead than alive, particularly if it was an accident!

You do have a point about harming innocents. Something to think long and hard about.

·
Administrator
57,366 Posts
I bought a new Plymouth Satellite in 1965.

Before it left the dealer, I had them jack it up and spray the entire underneath with that heavy black gunky seal coat.

I kept that car for 17 years, and never did see any rust under it. at that time, I lived in Oklahoma City where I bought it, and winters saw a lot of salt on the city streets. over time, it moved with me to Texas, New Mexico and Utah..... still no rust. I wonder where it is today?

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
Is your life worth so little that you would drive 4000 pounds of destruction thru town to the repair shop with a partial braking system?

ok, what about the innocent family you drove over at the stoplight?

Having brake fluid in the master is very important to ANY operation

Admittedly- at the race track in an emergency- I may have knowledge of a car with vise grips securely fastened to the rear brake drum rubber line-
when a slave cyl blew out on one side and you know, finishing the race is all important

If you know there are limitations to the brakes you will be much more careful and aware of what's going on ahead of you. Most of the braking is done by the front anyway, especially on a pickup.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Driven my share of trucks with their light rear end under braking

Its not about planning ahead for stops and being careful
Its all about the idiot ahead or from the hidden side street oblivious to the fact anyone else exist.
Then you need full brakes and powerful amounts of prayer

Im surprised more on here dont have gwrra towing+ or your own carrier for all vehicles.
Towing Expense:
Like the cost of protective gear, I look at things in terms of How much is your hospital Emergency Room Deductible...
wait, you still have health insurance, right?

Yes I like to take an idea to its extreme to consider as many sides to a situation as possible, especially when ones, or others, life is at stake.
That way nothing will go wrong when you take the brave route and just drive it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.