Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:(HI ALL,IM DEVISTATED...MY LEFT TOP PANNIER FLEW OFF SOMEWHERE BETWEEEN PICKERING AND THE A170 &A19 NORTH OF ENGLAND ON SATURDAY,IT WAS LOCKED AND SECURE ,HOW THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN? I WOULD ASK YOU ALL TO SECURE YOUR TOP PANNIERS (AS I AM GOING TO DO) WITH SOMETHING FASTENED TO THE TOP INSIDE OF THE PANNIER....SH*T,BO**OCKS,IM SO PI**ED OFF...sorry all about my curseing but i am really pi**ed off....bri.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I know that pit in the stomach feeling when something blows off your bike!

what's worse is when you go back 2 mins later and find it but it's been run over by ten cars, been there before ! Sorry about it ! E Bay time !

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

What the heck is a Pannier? Im clueless on this one.

Pat

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Once you get a replacement a neat trick is to use mini bungee cords with electrical wiring eyelets soldered to the ends after you cut the hook off, then use the studs and nutsfor the locks to secure the bungee cords at each end. One in the bag and one on the cover, front and rear This is a nice setup because then you no longer need to find a place to put the lid while loading, it just hangs next to the bag (pannier) until you're ready to secure it in place.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

My 85 1200A has cords at the front and rear of the covers. The covers just rest against the side when opened. I thought these were stock items. Sure saves from loosing a cover!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I have them as well on my 87. I also thought they were stock items? Hey Johnmac, I will be in your town on Wednesday. Hope to move there soon as well.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

On my old wing i got tire of having the right side cover blow off so I drilled a small hole in the lip under neath the cover and I zip-tie it to the frame, no one can see it and if it blows off the zip tie holds it from going bye bye for me, saves me about 3 covers a year and $ !

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

If you have problems with side covers blowing off, it's the grommet's fault more than likely. Also, fit them on dry too. If you lube them, they'll surely fall off.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

I have an 85 Gl1200 Aspencade and I do not have these cords on mine. I do not believe it is a stock item. I have never lost a side cover for the bags, but I did lose the side cover to the battery once. Called Honda and they sent me another one exactly like the one I lost. I think it cost me $150.00. I called all the salvage bike parts places, aftermarketplaces, tried Ebayand could not find anything. I then called Honda with a blank check, and I needed it. Bike looks great now and you would never know.

P.S. I'm adding the straps next week, now that you have brought the problem up.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yup, those are the cords I had on my 1200, work good, last long time!

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

ahhh..1200bikes, I'm in the same (ish) boat! I lost the battery cover to my 1200sei coming up the M11 on my way back to Scotland, I'm GUTTED! ... now a replacement for one of these isn't something you come across every day!! - I've been checking ebay every half hour for 2 weeks now!! (well.. not quite) :( :( :(

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Thats hard luck 1200bikes. It happened to my GL1100 a few times, but the keeper cords stopped the lid flying away altogether.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Those are what I have!! Look so good, I thought they were stock. My side covers also have cords and I looked real carefully last night, they are copies of the ones on my pannier lids, but not exactly the same.

Hmmmm and here I was complimenting Honda for a nice touch!

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
What the heck is a Pannier? Im clueless on this one.

Pat
Don't feel bad Pat, and also for you Mr. 1200bikes, on this side of the ocean we call them saddle bags. And not to worry Pat, you will be just as devastated if you loose the cover to one of these too. :D:D:D And there was no need for 1200bikes to yell.:whip::whip:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.