Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, sad times have hit home and it is time to face facts. People with no job can't afford expensive toys. So the Wing has to go.

1999SE 50th Anniversary Edition 92xxx miles and counting.

The good:
No sense mixing words...this bike runs ok, looks ok. Does show signs of 92000 miles. A few scrapes and brushes to prove it. I am the 3rd or 4th owner, I forget which. This bike has been to Florida several times according to previous owner. And I wouldn't hesitate to hop on and take it back right now.
Oil always changed regular.
Belts are fine.
Exhaust collectors and pipes are still good.
Brakes are good.
And here is a biggie: Comp-U-Fire alternator/battery combo. You have enough power to do whatever you desire.
Tall windshield installed. Have lower standard to go with.

With that said here comes the bad:
Bike needs a fair amount of work to get it inspected for a new owner.
Forks need rebuilding.
Tires need replacing.
Shocks may need to be replaced.
A few paint bruises and scrapes that wouldn't show in pics.
Could use a carb sync and plugs.

I run it as is because I don't have the money to fix it right.
Sure I could do the plugs. I have done tires before. But it needs a tad more than that to pass inspection.

Standard doo-dads here and there. Kuryakyn Hiway pegs and ISO grips. Throttle boss, Light rope stretched around bike for a cool red glow at night. PO had neon glass tubes all over this thing. (Well you can guess how long they lasted) Pulled all those out- most broken and inop anyway.
Had the embroidery on the rear pass seat back, threw on an embroidered dash rug, put on $600 worth of wood grain appliques to cover most of the standard black plastic areas, dual -dual air horns (yes- a set on each side), have Hondaline bag/trunk liners. Probably lots more you forget about over the years.

Now for the money:
I see retail prices between rough @$5600 - pristine @$7500.
Well I hate to pay retail for anything and I am sure you do too.
I see trade in between near-dead @ $5200 - to sweet @ $6500.

So I guess with all the work needed being about $1000 ready to roll...
Why don't we try for $4200 - $4500.

Of course for a fellow Saunders reader I am willing to do what I can but the whole idea here is that I need the money and as close to the most I can get.
So let me know if there is interest please because summer season is coming quick and this has got to go.

As I reached the 10 pic limit... more pics can be seen here:
http://s292.photobucket.com/user/netsurfer55/library/

(Should not need a password but you never know how these things work)

I can be reached @ : [email protected]

Thanks, Jim.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Email sent

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You said "belts are fine"
Were they changed and when?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Newday777,
I looked recently at the belts for the same reason as you...I had no idea if they had ever been changed. I figure with the amount of printed writing still visible they were changed before I bought the bike. So they have more age on them then they do miles. Still look like near brand new. I can only guess they were changed perhaps around 60-70K. If it would bother a person to not know for sure then it would be advisable to have them changed. But they had no cracks or splitting frayed strands at all. I was pretty impressed and left them alone. Still had plenty of travel on the adjuster also.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Thanks for the call, great talking with you. Will be in touch this next week or so.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bike Condition Update:

I neglected to mention an annoying small oil leak.
I suspect it is coming from the shift shaft. I understand this is common on these bikes.
If you ever had an older Harley you pay it no mind. Even joke about it. But I would prefer to have it go away - however that takes money. Waiting on dealer to call me with estimate to repair.
But I also see a small leak at the clutch slave cylinder. This should be an easy repair.
Just wanted to be up front and as inclusive as possible.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Friendly bump on a great priced bike. I backed out as I have decided to upgrade to an 1800.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well newday,

If you have to back out...an 1800 ain't a bad choice for me to lose to. Good luck to you and enjoy that new ride.

Jim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.