Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Since the weather has gotten colder, my faceshield is fogging up bad...worse than ever before. What can be done to prevent this? I have tried rain-x and it didnt work...Maybe I am just getting more and more full of hot air?:ROFL:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

An old trick I used to use on my snowmobile helmet, or my ice racingface shield, was to rub a bar of soap(dry) on the inside portion of the screen and polish it with a clean soft, drycloth, spreading the soap across the shield. It worked "OK" .

You might also want to look into a Pinlock, to see if they are available for your brand/model of helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:

Besides shelling out big bucks for a modular Snowmachine helmet that has the breath deflectors and routing of the breath away from the shield, the only 100% way to prevent the fogging is to crack the shield just one click or going with an open face helmet. That being said!!

Take a run to the local Honda, Ski Doo or Arctic Cat dealer, they should have some of the NO FOG wipesup by the counter.They are disposable wipes that you just wipe the inside of the shield with and throw away afterwards. Those work great for a few rides, but will need to be reapplied every now and then.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

Divers use saliva (spit) to keep the mask from fogging up. I'm not going to try it. :smiler:
Almost never wear a shield myself. Glasses plus shield both fogged up and wet = good time to stop.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

The same effect can by got by using a slightly concentrated washing up liguid mix on the inside of the visor. Lasts about three weeks.

Just don't let on you know how to run the water and add the liquid or you may end up with a new job ound the home!:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i use the rain-x anti fog product it works well enough

like posted alittle soap works well

they sell a anti fog film plastic that sticks to the inside of your face shield
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/353-078

ive seen it used it works well for the money i think you just clean it with warm water once in awhile or something like that

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Along the line of divers using the spit method. When I was younger I dove fairly regularly. If you apply Dawn Dishwash liquid to a dry mask (no water) and rub it in thouroughly before rinsing and drying you get great results.
On a recent rainy trip to Canada we stopped at Aerostitch rider's warehouse in Duluth. My bro picked up an inexpensive peel and stick shield - sort of like a screen protector on a cell phone. It worked great but then peeled off. I think it's important to put those on a warm, clean and fully dry shield or they'll come off.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Years ago I carried a small cloth bag of rolling tobacco in my volkswagen to rub on the inside of the windshield when it became fogged up. Of course when the bag was wet it smelled great but did help a little.:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,770 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

i just open my face shield a little to let a little air in. Works for me even at 19 degrees.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

I use shaving cream on my windscreen with good results and have heard (but never tried) that it also does a pretty good job on faceshields. Cheap old Barbasol - if I know it's going to be foggy the next day I make sure I reapply and it REALLY cuts down on the windscreen fog. Not totally but almost. Who woulda thunk...

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

readingracer wrote:
i just open my face shield a little to let a little air in. Works for me even at 19 degrees.

Works for me too.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I use a double layer visor. Mainly made for snowmobiling.
James

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Without cracking the visor a little I don't know of any other solutions to this issue. I've tried a lot of the across the counter stuff with not muchluck. I wear glasses so I have twice the issue as people without glasses. I did fins a product called Fog Tech that I had some success with. It's hard to find. I ordered it off line after searching for it. You can get drops or towelets.

Igot tired of fooling around with my safety andbought me a snowmobile helmet made by Ski Doo. It's the Modular 2 model. They have a mask type breath deflector to channel the air out the sides of the helmet. The helmet also has a sun visor fro sunny days. They aren't cheap. I got a new one on line (ebay)for $250. I wear mine snowmobiling and on the motorcycle when it gets cold. I have used it in -17 degree weather with no issues of fogging. I wouldn't be without one. Best winter helmet I've ever bought. It is DOT approved as well. You also have the option of a heated visor.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Parman wrote:
Igot tired of fooling around with my safety andbought me a snowmobile helmet made by Ski Doo. It's the Modular 2 model.

:claps::claps:That is the Modular Snomachine helmet I was refering to, Got mine from Compeaus Ski Doo in Fairbanks AK.Great helmet!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.