Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My local dealer just informed me he knows of no way to acquire a factory cut key to fit the locks on my 'Wing.
This seems incredible to me. Every major part on the bike is serial coded, how could they not have a record of the key code?:X

Anybody?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Your dealer is full of it and doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. All he needs is the key code off the back of the ignition switch.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

You can't get a factory cut key for Honda cars either. After somewhere in the mid 90s the code is stored in their computers (provided the locks have not been changed) but the dealer has to cut the keys. Early Honda motorcycles had a limited number of keys and the dealer would have them on a numbered key board and you could just go in and buy one.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Welcome edpare to our great forum of knowledge and experience. There sure is a number for your key. One place is on the egnition key at the bottom according to this forum. Now I think there is another place on the helmit lock too. I haven't needed mine as I bought my bike new, and had three spares made from the number that was on the key. Don't you have at least one key? Now the locks could have been changed beforeyou bought it and that would change the situation. So hang on, and you should have lots of info given to you by to-night when everybody comes home from work. You can also do search on our forum for this also. Let us know how things went. Good luck. :waving: :)

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Your dealer is full of it and doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. All he needs is the key code off the back of the ignition switch.
Baggy is right, the key code will be on the base of the ignition switch, and quite often on the helmet lock. Don't ask the dealer to get it for you he will rip you off, go to a good locksmith. Don't expect to get a fancy key blank like Honda would have supplied, these are very hard to get for older bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

There should be a code number on both the fuel door lock and the right pocket door lock. The code will be stamped on the lock cylinder. Either of these will get you a key cut by a decent locksmith. As for finding a key blank, try the links that Witchita Scorpion posted.

Check these guys out. http://www.keysfast.info/

They claim to cut keys from code, VIN# or a picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.