Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I was doing a short cruise and the engine started blubbering when taking off from a stop. I headed for home on the freeway The engine did it again at freeway speed and I noticed the clock flashing. I got off at the next exit and coasted to the stop light and got the bike parked. With some help from a friend I got the bike home and pulled the alternator and found the bad diode in the regulator. The bike is a 1993 Goldwing SE and doesn't have anything to tell you there might be a charging problem. I plan on installing a voltmeter and was wondering if anyone had gone through installing something like this on their ride. I'm looking for ideas on placement and type of mounting.
Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,134 Posts
there have been a lot of different locations used.
Some put a LED voltmeter behind a speaker grill,
others have put them on the fairing, which is what I did

a few have them mounted in the center, just below the Ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Another option that I like is adding an alternator light to the 1500 dash, even if I have a voltmeter.
While that kit seems to be no more, Gammatronix makes some or you could roll your own.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
919 Posts
I did this.....

Reactions: endwrench

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Too bad they aren't made in Cosmopolitan Gray.
I guess that's what paint is for.

·
It aint rocket science
3,959 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,134 Posts
I just checked the AGM battery in my gl1800, it has not been charged for 2 days.
the DVM showed 12.8 V key off.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
919 Posts
12.9V charging at idle? Tell me there is a gauge discrepancy or auxiliary lighting is on as that is one horribly low voltage or it is plugged into a maintainer nightly or highway miles only?
This bike is 100% incandescent lighting except for the added trunk and saddlebag side lights (LED). I had just finished putting all the plastic back on after being stripped down and not run for a couple weeks for maintenance. Pictures were taken when I had first started it cold after all this, with no battery maintainer on it for the duration of my maintenance and accessory install work (including installing these gauges and rebuilding the stereo system), so the battery was quite a bit low, it was pulling some good juice from the alternator, which is a 90 amp Hitachi.

Normally I see about 13.0, 13.1v at idle, unless the stereo with power amp and subwoofer is turned up, voltage might sink to 12.5 on a good bass note from the subwoofer at idle RPM. Rev the tiniest bit off 700 RPM idle and you'll see a good 13.5 volts, and things stay at 13.9 down the road.

This is a weird little AGM(??, certainly not lead-acid) battery in the bike, it is way too small for the battery box, I put a 4x6x1 inch piece of wood behind the battery to keep it from sliding around inside the box. What's even weirder is that this battery static voltage at full charge is only 12.2 volts! Confirmed with my Fluke multimeter connected directly to the battery. The voltmeter on the bike has it's "Sense" lead directly on the battery, and agrees with the Fluke Multimeter spot-on. So with 12.9v at idle, this weird little battery is actually charging nicely.

A "Normal" battery will have a static (nothing connected to it) voltage of around 12.6 volts and I'd expect to see voltage in the low 13v range at idle.. I don't know why this little battery is so low at 12.2v. It came with the bike when I bought it over four years ago, and continues to start the engine with gusto.

At any rate, the voltmeter tells me nicely what's going on with the charging system, nice to have the oil pressure gauge along with it. And when this weird little battery finally gives up the ghost we might see idle voltages that look a little more "usual" with a replacement battery.

Reactions: endwrench

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now it appears my source for an alternator says it is backordered. Does anyone have an aftermarket source where I can get a new or exchange or rebuilt unit?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,134 Posts
Take it to any good starter repair shop

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've already pulled it apart. Failed diode in the rectifier regulator. The bike and alternator are original which means 27 years old. I can rebuild it easy enough but the parts and my time are nearly as much as the new alternator. I've found a few places on the internet but don't really trust them for the prices they are asking. Was looking for recommendations. Thanks

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I love that set up but is it available anywhere?
Bluthundr31 can fix you up.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Is Ken Hemming still rebuilding alternators for Goldwings? I have one in my 94SE and one on the shelf still.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Is Ken Hemming still rebuilding alternators for Goldwings? I have one in my 94SE and one on the shelf still.

Ken Heming owner of Motorcycle Alternator Repair Service (MARS) passed away on 15 NOV 2020.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Last weekend I was doing a short cruise and the engine started blubbering when taking off from a stop. I headed for home on the freeway The engine did it again at freeway speed and I noticed the clock flashing. I got off at the next exit and coasted to the stop light and got the bike parked. With some help from a friend I got the bike home and pulled the alternator and found the bad diode in the regulator. The bike is a 1993 Goldwing SE and doesn't have anything to tell you there might be a charging problem. I plan on installing a voltmeter and was wondering if anyone had gone through installing something like this on their ride. I'm looking for ideas on placement and type of mounting.
Thanks in advance.
On my 1983 Aspencade, even though I have an analog volt meter it isn't the most accurate. I bought a digital volt/amp meter that fits a 1" x 2" rectangle hole that I cut above the glove box on the right side of the bike. I ran everything on the "Ground" side of the bike through a shunt for the amp meter, and and ran a fused switch on the handlebars to I can turn it on to see what the bike is doing when the key is off.

When parked, the amp meter is a big plus as you can view any parasitic draw on the bike. When riding I can keep an eye on amp draw as well which is a big plus when you only have 21 amps to work with in the first place.

I'll try to post a photo, though I've never done that here. Please ignore the dust, lots of wood working around the bike lately. Alan

83-wing-volt-amp.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
On my 1983 Aspencade, even though I have an analog volt meter it isn't the most accurate. I bought a digital volt/amp meter that fits a 1" x 2" rectangle hole that I cut above the glove box on the right side of the bike. I ran everything on the "Ground" side of the bike through a shunt for the amp meter, and and ran a fused switch on the handlebars to I can turn it on to see what the bike is doing when the key is off.

When parked, the amp meter is a big plus as you can view any parasitic draw on the bike. When riding I can keep an eye on amp draw as well which is a big plus when you only have 21 amps to work with in the first place.

I'll try to post a photo, though I've never done that here. Please ignore the dust, lots of wood working around the bike lately. Alan
Very Strange. Found four (4) photos of the Oklahoma State Flag next to the photo I posted. ??? I didn't put them there, but it might be a good destination ride! :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
On my 1993 1500 I mounted a digital volt meter where the CB would mount. Drilled a 1" hole into the panel and put it there. Works good but can't see it in direct sun light and at night it is a bright blue light. I had Ken rebuilt an Alternator for me and he did a good job and stood behind his work, but I also bought an New Old Stock OEM off of the web still in the Honda Box and installed it in my bike, but the rebuild is in the left saddle bag if I need to get home. The only time I had to Tow my bike was when the alternator went out. I was in the middle of no where when the bike stopped, no cell service so I walked to a farm house and ask to use the phone, I met an old man and his Grand Kid and he let me use the phone, but the kid said he had a battery charger in the barn, so he gave me a ride back to my Motorcycle and I took the battery back to the barn and put it on the little charger. This kid liked Motorcycle's and Jeeps and old cars but he had taken all of them apart to fix them. We waited for the tow truck but after 2 hrs. I put the battery back in my bike and headed for town, Got to an Autozone and pulled the battery again and had them charge it on a fast charge. Headed for home and got about 10 miles from my house and called for another tow, this time someone showed up and I got home. It was a long day but ended well, These bikes are made to ride not to put in a trailer or flat bed truck.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
One thing to remember is that if you pull the fuse for your headlights, you can ride a long ways on a battery.
When I was a kid, I had a Honda with a bad stator. I used to stop at gas stations to get a quick charge on the battery if it was getting too low, and I was far from home. Never ran the headlight. When fully charged I could use the electric start a few times, then switch to the kick start afterwards for the rest of the day. I rode it that way for months while I saved for parts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts