Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1976 GL1000 and would like to replace the Vetter fairing with one off of a GL 1100 Interstate and also do the same with the Saddle Bags and Trunk. Does anyone if that is possible. I have a friend that could make any type of lightweight rail system I need to mount them. Ismy GL1000 able to accept these as far as weight and size or is there other sources that I can go to (online perfered) see what is available. My wife and myself want to make a couple of trips and the bags would help along with a nice backrestfor the wife.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure about the 76 model but I can comment on a later Goldwing, I have both a 1983 GL Standard and 83 Aspencade. You need to go on E-bay and type in Goldwing 1000 and check for fairing and saddle bags. What I do know is that on my bike, the frames are the same and you just need to buy the set up for what you want. That means if you have a Vetter system, you will not be able to mount the Honda line on the Vetter rails and visa versa. You need to buy the whole complete set.

Just a couple of other bits. The Hondaline is a nice system but it's heavier. Also the trunk is removable but not the side bags. On the Vetter, the side bags unlock and can be carried like luggage but the trunk stays put. I like how the Vetter side bags open with one lock, but overall, I think the Hondaline looks cleaner.

Bottom line is the Vetter seems to have more storage room and with the trunk on the back you have a backrest. However, if you don't like the Vetter, go on E bay for the Hondaline. This sight has a wonderful history of Goldwings. You may be able to get additional information there.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I bought a complete GL1100 luggage set for my GL1000. They did not fit and would not without some fabrication/modification. I have no doubt had I done so, the bike would have been able to handle the weight. I think the spoke wheels were better than the comstar! I used a vetter package on mine instead, even though i did not like the look. I also, at one time had a Bates setup. Loved the look, but not very sturdy. I think your friend could make the GL1100 setup fit well, but for the price of a used set (~200-300) you might just sell your GL1000 and get a full-dresser GL1100. The GL1100 is a great bike. I know of others who have had Shoa, Triumph, and other hard bags on their bikes and it looked cool.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Davebave wrote:
well, but for the price of a used set (~200-300) you might just sell your GL1000 and get a full-dresser GL1100. The GL1100 is a great bike.
They made a number of major improvements on the later models. The 1200 is suppose to be the best, but I love my 83 Aspencade. Watch out for the bikes with the comstar wheels. I heard they can break.

My 83 Aspen has linked brakes,Trac system, air compressor on board and radio,intercom and CB built in. You could pick one up for 2 to 3 grand.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

JerryK,

I really like both of my 1200's for riding comfort, but my GL1100 is the only one I have that did not have fused stator wires. My 1000, and both 1200's had to be hard wired, I did the 1100 just in case, but may not have been needed. Also, I have had to replace head gaskets on both of my 1200's! I think you might have one of the best wings ever made, the 83 GL1100.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Dave_C wrote:
I have a 1976 GL1000 and would like to replace the Vetter fairing with one off of a GL 1100 Interstate and also do the same with the Saddle Bags and Trunk. Does anyone if that is possible. I have a friend that could make any type of lightweight rail system I need to mount them. Is my GL1000 able to accept these as far as weight and size or is there other sources that I can go to (online perfered) see what is available. My wife and myself want to make a couple of trips and the bags would help along with a nice backrest for the wife.
I have always liked the vetter look, but I must admit that the saddle bags leak and so everything goes into a plastic bag before going into the side bags

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hey Dave. How did you get 3 mana's with 10 post. Did you do something special or just someone really likes you?

Jerry

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Dave I put a 1100 interstate bag set on a 75 the only thing I had to do is use the

1100 tailight .In fact after a few weeks I took everything back off andused the

complete 1100 fender.I rode it this way for 3 years.I measured for fitting the

fairingwhich could be done withalot ofworkNOT a Bolt ON ITEM!!

I probably have some pics if your interested.

Jim

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
imported post

Does ANYONE have any GOOD saddlebag/trunk structures for a 1975 GL1000? Also looking for a FULL fairing (preferrably one that can be fitted with a radio and speakers). Bought this bike as a naked GW, and got a set of of saddlebags/trunk with it, but they are for an 80's up Interstate GW (GL1100), and they will not fit my bike. (Already tried and found out the hard way that they wouldn't fit). So, they are up for sale for $80.00 plus shipping and cod fees (if applicable) (the $80.00 is what I had to pay to get keys made for them). Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Dave_C wrote:
I have a 1976 GL1000 and would like to replace the Vetter fairing with one off of a GL 1100 Interstate and also do the same with the Saddle Bags and Trunk. Does anyone if that is possible. I have a friend that could make any type of lightweight rail system I need to mount them. Ismy GL1000 able to accept these as far as weight and size or is there other sources that I can go to (online perfered) see what is available. My wife and myself want to make a couple of trips and the bags would help along with a nice backrestfor the wife.
I don't see any reason that this could not be done. Back in '80 we outfitted a CB 750 with the fairing, bags, fender,and trunk for the Interstates. Also outfitted it with the exhaust pipes, hitch and lightbars to match ours. You can expect to fabricate all of the brackets yourself. We basically copied what the Interstates were equiped with altering where it mounted to the bike. Simple, strait forward, and time consuming (if you want it to look good).

It was only about $1000 dollars cheaper to outfit the 750 than to buy the Interstate. While it was quite a novalty I think he would have been happier with the Interstate but his wife didn't want himona bike that "big".

The 750 handled the modifications just fine. Even dressed it still performed comparable to the CB 900s of the day. It came up short compared to the Interstates but that was to be expected.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
imported post

Hi Dave
A friend off mine owned a GL 1000 -79 in the early 90-ties and on it he had put the fairing and the trunk and saddlebags from the 1100. He use the original mounts with no major problems. The only thing we did to modify them as I recall was to turn the front fairing mount down a bit to get the right look. Before we did this the fairing was looking a bit uppety. Good luck with the project.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

77 - bags and mounts were basically bolt on. Fairing was not hard, made my own clamps with u-bolts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

And I still think yours is one of the best looking GL1000's Don, but she should have been BLUE!!!!:goofygrin::goofygrin::cooldevil:

I don't know if they are still available but if you can find a second hand pair of Sigma panniers, they have a fully adjustable frame that fits just about any bike, I had them on my first GL1000 and moved them to my second. They were water tight, (unlike my mates Vetter ones) and were eaisily unlocked and removed from the bike. They were excellent quality and suited the style of the bike. Looked similar to the Honda line ones. I used a large tote bag on the rack which acted as an excellent back rest for my passenger.

I also had the Vetter fairing, which was very aerodynamic and didn't affect the bikes handling in any way.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

I'm not one for looks so when I compare the storage space of the Vetter bags and trunk to that of the Stock GL 1100 I and consider the type of riding I hope to do, (long touring) I would choose the Vetter pieces, hands down. The two removable saddle bags preferable to the one, less than half the size, removable Hondaline trunk
As far as fairings go, my Hondaline fairing still has the old AM/FM radio. A bit cumbersome to use, but still quite serviceable. It can be upgraded easily with a CD player by using a Cycle Sound stereo box and letting the Cycle Sound speakers play double duty by adding a a/b switch for AM/FM use or CD player use. Notthe best systemchoice, but won't cost an arm and a leg to get a full upgraded system with satellite radio, cd/dvd/gps road atlas, etc...

To cut it short, it all depends on your riding needs, preferences, and how much your bank account can take the cost.

glcxrider aka Rockhound Rider :coollep:

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

This is my '75 Wing, dressed out with Hondaline saddlebags and a Honda trunk off o0f a 650. Very little modification was required to attach these items.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
imported post

I do remember very well, back in about '81, there was a '75 turgoise(sp) 'Wing running around here that had all the GL1100 fairng and bags, painted to match the original paint. It looked SHARP! I never looked to see how it was mounted, but it sat looking right on the street.

When I bought my '81 new, I of course had a choice between the Interstate or dressing mine out with after market fairing and bags. I had a Windjammer SS on my CB750K3 and Samsonite. Loved it and had a new Windjammer V and Samsonite installed on my "wing when I bought it. It actually cost a little more to dress my bike this way,than buying the Interstate, but I like the ability to take the bags off when I wanted and the Windjammer holds more items inside. But....in hindsight, I like the looks of the factory bags and fairing now. One has to go back to the mindset of the 1980, when we were all used to seeing Vetter equip. and it was considered to be very good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.