Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I love this site. You guys always seem to have the answers. Here's a another question with a (maybe) not so obvious answer -

What is the counter weight (on a dressed bike) good for? How would the bike handle without it? Can anyone explain the physics of how it works?

To me, it seems just to make the low-speed steering heavy.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I beleive the counter weight is more like an air blocker preventing air from getting under the fairing and causing lift. as for "weight" the peice of sheet metal hardly has any at all

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

If I had to guess, I'd say it's to help hold the front end down at higher speeds, due to the shape of the Honda Line fairing......???? I remember back in the late 70's I rode a Honda 750 four with a Windjammer on it, & with the aerodynamics of the fairing, it lifted the front wheel off the ground at 100 mph:shock:. Back when the fairing was designed, they didn't have wind tunnels & the like. The only way to test the aerodynamics, was to build one, & take it out for a spin.
I work enough with engineers, to know that rather than FIX a shortcoming, they come up with (I really hate this term too) a "work around"...........

That's my guess anyway:baffled:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007is right. Try riding a GL1100 Interstate or Asp at speed without the weight and see what happens, you really will have a Wing then. I know a guy in Boston who put the Interstate fairing and boxes onto his Plain Jane and it was like he had power steering. In windy conditions the bike would almost take off! :jumper:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
as for "weight" the peice of sheet metal hardly has any at all
The counter-weight is a hunk of cast iron, and is quite heavy. I had assumed it was for cornering stability, as it is attached to the forks,but have been convinced by the posts it is to merely keep the front end from lifting off the ground at speed.

I guess the fairing itself wasn't made heavier so as to keep the weight off the fairing mounts.

Here's the textaffixed to the weight itself. (the english could be better...)

"WARNING. DO NOT REMOVE THIS WEIGHT WHEN RIDING WITH FAIRING TO PREVENT AN ACCIDENT. WITHOUT THIS WEIGHT, STEERING INERTIA MOMENT WILL BE REDUCED, RESULTING IN LOSS OF CONTOROL (sic) AND MOTORCYCLE'S STABILITY."

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

hossners wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:
as for "weight" the peice of sheet metal hardly has any at all
The counter-weight is a hunk of cast iron, and is quite heavy. I had assumed it was for cornering stability, as it is attached to the forks,but have been convinced by the posts it is to merely keep the front end from lifting off the ground at speed.

I guess the fairing itself wasn't made heavier so as to keep the weight off the fairing mounts.

Here's the textaffixed to the weight itself. (the english could be better...)

"WARNING. DO NOT REMOVE THIS WEIGHT WHEN RIDING WITH FAIRING TO PREVENT AN ACCIDENT. WITHOUT THIS WEIGHT, STEERING INERTIA MOMENT WILL BE REDUCED, RESULTING IN LOSS OF CONTOROL (sic) AND MOTORCYCLE'S STABILITY."

hossners, the "Inertia Moment", that would be translated to "Moment of Inertia" It is a property that resists a change in the rotational speed of an object (your forks in this case).

That would describe an object’s resistance to be put it in motion, or if it isnowin motion, it's resistance to change its speed or direction of motion due to the application of a (turning input torque or force).

Basically that weight (at least according to your tag) is there to stop the fork oscillation caused by front wheel or fairing input, or to keep the bars from being ripped from your hands by a wheel or wind input. (it slows how fast the forks can be turned (or reversed) by an outside force.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds like what they are saying is that the wobblies might be even worse without the weight than they are on later bikes. I believe the weight is actually there to reduce fork resonances due to either the aerodynamic loading on the fairing or the chance in weight and center of gravity relationship with the forks.

If it were merely for weight to keep the front end down a spoiler would have worked better and been a lot lighter. Also if it were just for weight it would have made more sense to mount it to the fairing where it could have been set further forward and been more effective. I'd bet my next paycheck (I'm currently unemployed) that it's there to control fork oscillation, i.e. the wobblies. If you have the guts it should be possible to find out. Oh! For the life of a test pilot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.