Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello everyone, new to forum, looking to buy a good used Goldwing to start. I have looked at a few, looking at a 88 1500 at present, very low miles. I have a question about it and I'm sure someone on here can answer it. Are cracks in the fairing common.
This one has cracks around the air ride control, other wise it looks real good? Are they hard to fix? Thanks for any info you can provide. I don't want to buy one that could have other problems.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

My '97 @ 14,500 miles, has a crack at the same spot, just above & in the corner of the fairing near the air control assembly. The crack is about 1 1/2" in length.....-Rich

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

ABS pipe cement works very well at repairing cracks.
Make sure the glue that you get is for ABS only, and let it dry good before using the part.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the `1500's but on just about any 1100 or 1200 you buy , you can expect a crack or 2, mostly around the right mounting area. Some ABS plastic pipe and ABS glue can be used to fix just about any crack and actually make it stronger.

This winter I'm installing a better fairing than the one I have on there now, but it needs 1 minor crack fixed on it before I mount it. Once I have it on and everything transferred to it then I'm going to see how good I can repair the old one.

This is what it looks like now.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

That's the old one that's on it now, not the new one.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

The black ABS glue works like a charm at repairing the cracks. Just make sure you do the work from the inside and slather the glue on there pretty well and sit back and relax until it hardens. I used some plastic weld on the paint side because it sands so much easier. Just make sure you can match the paint up!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

:15red:Welcome to this Great Site!:12black:
Pull up a chair and join on in!
:stumped:Got a Technical question on your wing:stumped:
Technical Forum
:baffled:Got a General Motorcycle Question:baffled:
General Motorcycle Forum
:bowing:Most of all we're glad you joined and:bowing:

:action:look forward seeing you on the forums and on the road :action:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

cntryboy1289 wrote:
The black ABS glue works like a charm at repairing the cracks. Just make sure you do the work from the inside and slather the glue on there pretty well and sit back and relax until it hardens. I used some plastic weld on the paint side because it sands so much easier. Just make sure you can match the paint up!
It also makes great bondo for filling holes. Just get a black PVC pipe and a rasp, file to create shavings, mix with glue to you form a thick paste the consistency of peanut butter. Spread in hole. If necessary, you can use duct tape as a backer. It is best to do it small increments and build it up. Sand flat and paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.