Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need to either replace the fairing or just do away with it cause its in not so good of shape. Question is if I do away with it what kind of problems or parts I may need?

Mainly worried about the wiring and speedo, tach and all the gages.

I just rebuilt the front end and put new tires on it made a big differents but the old fairing is crack in places and falling apart lol you sure can here it rattle when ya hit a bump. Like to bob it out if I could in my younger days this was call chopping now its call bobbing. LOL

Need some pointer to point me in the right direction on the how to like to do this over the winter if I can.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

There are a couple of folks parting out 1200's in the for sale section. The color may not match but you may be able to get parts to fix your broke fairing.

They did make a naked or standard 1200. My guess finding the gauges form one may be tricky. There weren't that many made. You could try to build your own enclosure for the dash after you remove it from the fairing. Other than that you could come up with your own dash. This could be a bit fiddly to say the least.

There was some one on the board that changed their 1200 to a standard. Don't recall who it was but you may try searching for gl1200 standard and see if you could run on to it.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Your silver 1200 is an easy colour to match, and I would say buy a used one in good shape and get it resprayed.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

One problem is all the wiring connected to the fairing. In a standard, this wiring would be tucked into the headlight box. The other big issue is the dash. You'd have to make somthing for that. When you say the fairing is in bad shape, are you sure you can'r repair it? You may have some loose or missing bolts on that fairing. Before deciding to rip it off the bike, check all the bolts and nuts. There are some behind the headlight housing. One of mine was laying in the housing. When I put it all back together, replacing missing bolts and nuts, the fairng was much sturdier.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Repainting would not be that hard to do I use to paint a long time ago. I had bad mirrors so I bought brand new ones and when I went to change them out I found out that where they bolt up at well only one side had a work bolt hole all the others was all busted out so nut and bolted them on on the bottom left side its all bust out and some of it is just age it wasn't taken care of at all. But maybe I am just not look at this all the right I didn't think it would be a easy job to do,to do away with the fairing. Maybe I am just not looking at it right. First time to have a Goldwing.

Someone even put 1100 saddle bags on it because they don't bolt up right bother n law told me those are for a 1100 but they work.

Its been a good project for me to have something to do. I just wanted some opinions looks like I got a few and I think everyone was right on. Thanks for the help here.

I'll just keep on plucking away at it. I sure am learning new things. Maybe I can fix the fairing parts haven really tried just wanted to ride so far I have. LOL Cancer free now 6 years

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

If you don't mind tinkering instead of riding :) you could probably convert it to a standard and make a custom dash. Sometimes there is more therapy in building a bike than in riding it. You could go with a Trail Tech Vapor (http://trailtech.net/vapor.html) speedo which has options with even a built in GPS. You could create your own warning lights using LED's. I'd almost bet a speedo from another Honda street bike with the same size front wheel would match up and work. It would be a fun project but you may spend more time working on the bike than riding it.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

I would take a hard look at repairing your fairing. ABS cement from the hardware store and some scrap pieces could do wonders without going through the hassle of replacing the fairing or eliminating it altogether. An ABS pipe fitting will give you lots of filler to add the to cement to make is easier to work. You might look for a broken bit of tupperware from another bike. It cuts with a large tin snips. The cement won't adhere to aluminum. Just my thoughts, Lyle

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

If the fairing is bad, I would look for a replacement. If it is small cracks, etc. It can probably be fixed. Depends on what you would be happy with. I do wish Honda had made ALL the Goldwing's plastic out of fiberglass, also known as glass reinforced plastic. Would have been a whole lot easier to repair. Guess the ABS was cheaper. All Japanese bikes with plastic seem to use ABS, while Harley and Ducati use fiberglass.

Aside from the dash, headlight, and a lot of electrical stuff, there is yet another problem with removing the fairing. The fake gas tank, shelter, whatever, is designed to blend into the faring, and does not cover everything when the fairing is removed. That might could be fixed with the fake gas tank from a 1200 standard. The fake gas tank even bolts to the fairing on 1200's that came with a fairing.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

pm sent

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I just don't know what I am gonna do yet for sure a lot to think about and winter not that far off. I'm thinking on all of it. LOL
I got to pull the lower part of the fairing to replace parts on the timing cases as well as the Valve covers.
Bother has them parts for me he use to ride Goldwing all the time.

So I have a lot to think what I am gonna do.

:baffled:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.