Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought SS brake lines (from lopeha) and have the rear lines installed. Never having removed the front fairing, I need advice before I begin. There's nothing in the Honda or Clymer manual that I can find, and I can't find anything specific to the GL1100 on this site.

Are there any tutorials out there? Or can anyone give me a rough idea of the sequence required? Thanks.

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
They are pretty easy and straight forward to remove. Disconnect the electrical plug on the left inside, remove the lowers, remove the 4 screws (if I remember right) under the front, then the 2 nuts on the bottom on each side, have someone there to help hold it.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot, Dave. I'm assuming that the windshield has to come off first, correct?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Windshield stays on if you want. If it has the Clarion II radio system the fairing will be heavy, so have some help especially if your back is bad.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Windshield stays on if you want. If it has the Clarion II radio system the fairing will be heavy, so have some help especially if your back is bad.
Thanks for the head-up, Stu. So the radio stays attached to the fairing when it's removed then?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes radio stays too. Do you have the radio down on the side of the fairing or on top by the windshield?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Take the rear nut on each side under the fairing bracket off last. When those two nuts come off the fairing will want to fall off forwards, it's heavier than you think so have a helper so the fairing doesn't get damaged. Also check for added wiring, the original wiring went through the plug and socket on the fairing as Dave430 mentioned but often there are added wires by previous owner, it's real irritating to lift off the fairing and find it's still connected to the bike. Especially with the only two people available holding the thing up and the wire cutters five feet away. Also as Dave mentioned there are four bolts or machine screws on the fairing skirt underneath the front just over the fender. These pass through the fairing into a couple of 'ears' on the frame.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes radio stays too. Do you have the radio down on the side of the fairing or on top by the windshield?
Stu and Paul: Thanks for the additional info; it's very helpful. The radio's on the left side on the fairing; guess I'll have to recruit my son to give me a hand.

Just so I'm clear, when you say the windshield can stay on, does it stay on the bike or on the fairing when the fairing comes off? If you mean it's going to come off with the fairing, I might take it off first, just in case.

And I'll put a pair of wire-cutters in my pocket before we take those last two nuts off. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
The windshiled can stay on the faring, it's not attached to the bike. My recommendation would be to not mess with dismounting it unless you need the clearance. Be aware, the windshield screws screw into nuts located behind the speakers and behind the center display rack. They do have holders that are 'zposed to keep the nuts in place. Those nuts have a habit of leaping out of their holders and falling deep into the faring innards. Can be a bytch to fish 'em out.

FYI - here is an article about replacing the windshield with pics of those pesky nuts...

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Second thoughts.

OldSchool, you make a good point. I've had the windshield out a couple times and lost a few nuts (and some would say marbles) myself. Maybe we'll try it with the shield on and see how it goes. Thanks.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More questions

They are pretty easy and straight forward to remove. Disconnect the electrical plug on the left inside, remove the lowers, remove the 4 screws (if I remember right) under the front, then the 2 nuts on the bottom on each side, have someone there to help hold it.
1st pic on left: Are these plugs the "electrical plug"referred to? There are three of them, and they're all I can see on the left side.

Middle pic: Are these the 4 screws to be removed? On this bike they're actually acorn nuts.

Last pic: Are the nuts labeled "A" the "2 nuts on the bottom"?

These are what I am about to remove, but I wanted to check first. Thanks a lot for all the help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Pete,

1st pic: Those smaller plugs are part of the audio system. They run to the handlebar switches and to the passenger push-to-talk (PTT) button. Notice the round black coax cables. One is the antena and one goes to the headset jack (possibly to a splitter if you have 2 headset jacks). They all need to be unplugged IN ADDITION TO a large, maybe 12-pin jack located in that same ares.

2nd pic: Those are the bolts that hold the faring to the frame supports. There are spacers and nuts on those bolts, so be ready to catch small parts. There are two such bolts on each side. Remove these after disconnecting all wire harnesses.

3rc pic: Leave the 2 bolts lables A alone. Instead, look straight up from them, under the lip of the faring. There you will find the two NUTS (one on each side) to be removed LAST as your assistant holds the faring to keep it from tumbling to the ground.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, OldSchool. That clarified a lot for me. I'm going back over to the shop (garage, really) and see if I can now locate everything. My "assistant" worked late last night and is taking a nap, so I may well have to wait until tomorrow to get it done. Thanks again for the help.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it!

We got the fairing off, windshield and all, this afternoon. The nine-pin connector was a real bear because there wasn't enough room to pull each side apart. We had to remove the fairing and angle it to pull the plugs apart. And there was a lone green wire -- I assume a ground wire -- that I had to cut and will need to solder.

But it's done! Many thanks to all who helped. Would not even have attempted it without you. Tomorrow we finish bleeding the brakes. Then bring on the carbs.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Congrats Pete!
Sorry I was out working on another member's 1500 fork rebuild today, then off to get a bite to eat and some planning of some riding and memories of our separate paths.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.