Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the wire harness connectors in the front left (and right) pocket simply pull apart or are there locking tabs on the connectors that I don't see? I'm removing the main fairing for paint. Between tight spaces, progressive lenses in my glasses and not great lighting, I can't get a good look...but I don't see any locking tabs. Also tough to get hands on either side of the connectors with limited space to work with. Good thing there's only one black connector in a vertical position and one white connector in a horizontal orientation...no radio, cb, antenna, etc. to deal with.

(I thought that I posted this question early Friday afternoon but don't see it in the forum. Sorry if this is a double post and I'm missing it.)

·
New Sidecar guy
74 Posts
In my limited experience, every Honda Mcy connector has a tab.
I also have the eye glass problem. Years ago I got a prescription for "Close Focus" lenses.
Those Bifocals have reading as the main lens and close focus where the reading would be.
They have been life savers.

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, I know...everything has a locking tab...but the 1200 fairing sub-harness is an oddity (at least for me). The end of the harness that connects to the sub-harness doesn't have free standing plastic connectors. Instead, there is one large connector housing them and it's not a separate part. The sub-harness connectors are inside the pocket. Those are free standing so they get disconnected from the large harness connector. So if there are locking tabs that's where they are and they'd be in the middle of the connector...I just don't see them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my limited experience, every Honda Mcy connector has a tab.
I also have the eye glass problem. Years ago I got a prescription for "Close Focus" lenses.
Those Bifocals have reading as the main lens and close focus where the reading would be.
They have been life savers.
I'll have to look into that. I have several pair of eye glasses - progressive lenses and bi-focal. They all work to some extent for some things but not very well in tight spaces in the garage. It's really bad when welding because with my head bent over, I'm looking out of the top portion of the lens that's for distance seeing. It plays havoc with my welding that's nothing to brag about to begin with....LOL.

·
New Sidecar guy
74 Posts
I'll have to look into that. I have several pair of eye glasses - progressive lenses and bi-focal. They all work to some extent for some things but not very well in tight spaces in the garage. It's really bad when welding because with my head bent over, I'm looking out of the top portion of the lens that's for distance seeing. It plays havoc with my welding that's nothing to brag about to begin with....LOL.
When I worked for the phone company I needed glasses to trace wiring on the back of equipment frames. The next aisle was so close I couldn't get my head back far enough to focus. Optometrist recommended the close focus glasses. It's annoying to keep changing glasses but they sure help.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will have to get a smaller mirror. Maybe it will help. Don't want to force them apart if, in fact, there are tabs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Connector on the 'inside' of the fairing is attached to the fairing on mine. I found that removing all the fairing bolts (but one, that kept the fairing balanced on the brace) made it where I could move the fairing slightly to get into the connector area.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Connector on the 'inside' of the fairing is attached to the fairing on mine. I found that removing all the fairing bolts (but one, that kept the fairing balanced on the brace) made it where I could move the fairing slightly to get into the connector area.
Let's me check with you to make sure I understand. The connectors release on the harness side, inside the fairing rather than inside the pocket. That squares with the pics of parts I found on eBay. Once you could get hands on the connectors, were there locking tabs on the connectors or did they pull straight out? The pics on eBay tell me there are no locking tabs, just pull straight out. Thanks !

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's the part I don't remember and the pics I have aren't detailed enough to tell either. I want to say there were, but that's a guess. Yes nothing inside the pocket to remove (unless you want to take it off of the fairing, not required).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts