Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all,

I went to replace my broken fairing with the one I bought from eBay, and there are two extra wires coming from the fairing that I don't have a clue about. My Clymer's doesn't mention them, either.

The bike I have is an 83 GL1100 Interstate, and the fairing didn't have the radio or gauge cluster. The replacement fairing is loaded with the Clarion Type II radio and the center gauge pod. Now, the old fairing had the green ground connector and the large 9-pin multiconnector and that was all; the new fairing (from an 83 Aspencade) has the green ground, the 9 multipin, and then there are two more: a red and a green connector, each of which appears to be a single wire connector and looks factory. Where do these wires plug in? What are they for?

Thanks,
Jack

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That's a tough one Jack. You would probably be better offf just plugging everything and see if some of the items don't work.

·
Best looking member
3,109 Posts
imported post

Are they the female side of a quick connect? and are the covered in a clear plastic covering??

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Hi Chuck,

Yes, they are both female quick connects, though neither of these were in clear plastic. It looks as though they were used previously, because they protrude from the grommet/sleeve in the fairing side.

Why...any ideas?

Jack

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

sounds aftermarket. Look inside the fairing and see where they go, if they wrap into the original harness neatly, probably factory. If an amateur splice job is obvious, then its probably not needed. Its bad design to leave two single wires flying like that, they tend to break. Of course, Hondas wiring was poorly designed so its par for the course.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Jack, has your fairing got the Honda volt meter and clock installed and if so, are they currently working?

·
Best looking member
3,109 Posts
imported post

As far as I haveexperienced, all of Honda's single wire connectors are covered in a clear plastic sleeve, which extends beyond the connector itself. The Idea is when it is connected to the male side it will be insulated. So if there is no plastic sleeve it is reasonably safe to assume it is after-market. For your own sake I would test it and see if it is switched with the ignition/acc. or always on, could be of use to you for something else.Generally, red is power, green is ground..Good Luck

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

This is a common thing for cigarette lighter hookup, wires run from fuse block into the fairing. Good point about thge insulation, all factory connectors are (were) insulated.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Hi again,

Well, I dug into the fairing more tonight (it's getting painted so it's not yet hooked up), and I may have misdescribed each connector.

There is one each of a red and green connector, and each of them has a ground wire (green) in it, along with a colored wire (one orange, one purple). I followed them up into the fairing and they certainly seem to hook into the audio wiring. Can't see it for sure, but looks to be connected to one of those three fuses on one part, and the other is hooked into some sort of black connecctor (like the 5 pin round).

I've got pics to upload, just can't do it tonight. :(

Thanks again,

Jack

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Me again!

Well, attached is a copy of the schematic for the audio system. On the left you can clearly see the callout for the two mystery connectors. So, can anyone decipher where they go or what the heck they are for?

I've found that the connectors may NOT have originally extended outside the fairing. The person I bought the fairing from had sort of disassembled the grommet/metal housing for the multipin connector, and it could just be that they popped those wires through for no good reason.

Anyway, it's almost 1 am here, and me brain is tired. I think we're going to bed...see you good folks tomorrow!

Jack

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

My first post as new member. I to have an 83 with the Clarion (AM/FM Tuner + Cassette, CB, and Intercom. The Diagram you posted is cropped. Do you have the whole drawing?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Any chance these are leads to the two audio controls mounted on the lower left fairing (where the CB goes) one of which was the auto volume level control, I forgot what the other one is for.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Speaker wires? - "GO" and "GV" on the diagram, possibly unplugged at the speaker pigtail. May have had external speakers somewhere.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Me again!

Well, attached is a copy of the schematic for the audio system. On the left you can clearly see the callout for the two mystery connectors. So, can anyone decipher where they go or what the heck they are for?

I've found that the connectors may NOT have originally extended outside the fairing. The person I bought the fairing from had sort of disassembled the grommet/metal housing for the multipin connector, and it could just be that they popped those wires through for no good reason.

Anyway, it's almost 1 am here, and me brain is tired. I think we're going to bed...see you good folks tomorrow!
Jack, seeing as 2 wires come from the tuner &2 from the amp that pretty well rules out speaker wires.. I don’t have an 1100 wire schematic & those colors don’t ring a bell with me on the 1200 –1500 radio controls.. My gut feeling guess would be either a CB control switch,, or those wires went to the handle bar remote radio control switches (2 from amp could be volume control & 2 from tuner could be station up/down scroll…

JDC

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

The wires may be for the optional Cassette unit. It uses a black connector with blue green and yellow wires, plus another 5 pin connector wire that plugs into the amp. I'll be working on mine this weekend and try to write back if you don't have an answer by then.

Jerry

·
Best looking member
3,109 Posts
imported post

This seems to be a real stumper Jack, is there any chance you can get a picture of the actual connectors???

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

JDC wrote:
Jack, seeing as 2 wires come from the tuner &2 from the amp that pretty well rules out speaker wires.. I don’t have an 1100 wire schematic & those colors don’t ring a bell with me on the 1200 –1500 radio controls.. My gut feeling guess would be either a CB control switch,, or those wires went to the handle bar remote radio control switches (2 from amp could be volume control & 2 from tuner could be station up/down scroll…

JDC

Hi JDC,

That makes perfect sense now. I found the whole pic of the setup, and sure enough, there are two connectors going to the handlebar control Neither of them are called out for the color code, mind you, but I'd say you're right.

Now then, if that's the case, would you say that pulling one of the pair to ground causes an "up" reaction (in volume or station), and pulling the other to ground causes a "down" reaction? Does anyone have the handlebar control that can speak to this point? Anyone have an EXTRA control lying about?

Jack

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
JDC wrote:

JDC
Hi JDC,

That makes perfect sense now. I found the whole pic of the setup, and sure enough, there are two connectors going to the handlebar control Neither of them are called out for the color code, mind you, but I'd say you're right.

Now then, if that's the case, would you say that pulling one of the pair to ground causes an "up" reaction (in volume or station), and pulling the other to ground causes a "down" reaction? Does anyone have the handlebar control that can speak to this point? Anyone have an EXTRA control lying about?

Jack
I think you guys are right, probably the radio tuner up/down and the mute switch. On my 1986 the handlebar switch box only had those two controls for the radio remote.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:

Jack, I really don't know on the Wing.. I don't have an 1100 wire schematic to look at.. I will have to check my 1200 schematic tonight when I get home to see if that will show how that system (could) work..

Most handle bar controls (like on my Harley) work by adding in different resistors for different radio functions but that system only uses a one wire remote control to radio interface.

Maybe someone with an 1100 wire print could help you (us) out here..

If you do try grounding those wires at least do it through a 10 ohm resistor as that will probably protect the circuit but still pass enough current to allow function (maybe)..

JDC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.